• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Renshaw back to being leadout?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
velodromes can be found everywhere though. I'll just speak for colombia here but every mid-big town basically has it's own track

Only 26 in the US it looks like. Big country for only 26 tracks.

El Pistolero said:
Curling?

Many other small sports no one cares about. Italians have roots in cyclo-cross, that could come back if it becomes Olympics. And there's some interest for it in the US that can only grow if it would become Olympic. And the Netherlands as well...
I don't know anything about curling, frankly I think if curling is an Olympic sport, why not chess, but I'm sure it's bigger than cross.

There's no interest at all for cross in the Netherlands, not among the general public at least. Only a few cycling enthusiasts and people from close to the Belgian border (Lars Boom country) care about it. That cross race in Gieten is mostly visited by Belgians.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I don't know anything about curling, frankly I think if curling is an Olympic sport, why not chess, but I'm sure it's bigger than cross.

There's no interest at all for cross in the Netherlands, not among the general public at least. Only a few cycling enthusiasts and people from close to the Belgian border (Lars Boom country) care about it. That cross race in Gieten is mostly visited by Belgians.

All it takes is a gold medal from Marianne Vos ;)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
All it takes is a gold medal from Marianne Vos ;)

no. we also took golden medals in rowing, crossbowshooting and whatever and we don't care. only during the olympics we care. that's same what would happen with cyclocross, for 2 days in 4 years it would be somewhat important. track cycling has world cups and world championships all over the world. it's a global sport

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
There was an article about it in our newspaper today

Rabobank did tests with both over the winter. Theo Bos was the faster sprinter every single time.
So then it was decided that Theo Bos is the main sprinter, and Renshaw can go his own chances when Bos is not there or when Bos loses contact in the stage

That article - was there anything about Matthews? What is his position?

Sry OT.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I'm simply pointing out why it was a good decision on renshaws part to go to rabo instead of stay.

It definitely was, but to say that Bos "lacks everything to be a serious road cyclist" is not only nonsense, but also an unfair insult to Theo Bos. He's won some nice races already and sure, it maybe isn't what he hoped for but I still think he can prove to be a good cyclist in the next few years and get some decent wins.

Sure, he will never be 'the sprinter to beat' and he also will be never be 'the sprinter that has to be one that beats the sprinter to beat :)eek:)' but Bos is a good sprinter and with Renshaw as his lead out I'm pretty sure he can achieve some nice results for Rabo.

I agree and think that Bos is doing quite well on the road. Track cycling really is dominated by younger men and it was probably time for him to move on as he matured. I also think it is too early to call on Renshaw, he has proved how fast he is with many of his lead outs giving him a second place behind the fastest man in the peleton (Cavendish), so I think there is certainly enough speed there and it may take a year or two to find out if he can work out some team plans and also gain enough self confidence to take on the big guns of sprinting. I will watch it with interest. I don't see any drama if he doesn't make it, just a chapter he had to try out in his cycling life.
It would seem to me that the Matthews role is similar to riders like EBH, Goss, Freire, etc where he is suited to sprinting on the tougher stages and suitable one day races. Not sure if that is the Rabobank plan but at 22 or 23 he seems to be progressing pretty well for them. Wonder what his thoughts are on GreenEdge?

I don't want to re-open the track discussion but I don't think some people realize how important a breeding ground it is for young cyclists and it is popular in a lot more than 2 countries. Even though some see it as just a 4 year event, the Commonwealth countries have their own mini olympics every 4 years as well, timed to split Olympics so that they have a major objective every two years aside from World Cup events. I think that track has also added a lot to track cycling besides the cyclists themselves, bike technology, time trial techniques, skinsuits and speed. Graeme Brown won his Madison gold medal with Stuey O'Grady who has gone on be a pretty reasonable road cyclist. Wiggins, Thomas, Ignatiev, McGee, Lancaster, Roultson, Sergent, Michael Mørkøv, Alex Rasmussen are just a few names from the last two track Olympics who have all value added to road cycling IMHO.

Sep 28, 2011
cqmanager.net
therhodeo said:
Only 26 in the US it looks like. Big country for only 26 tracks.

You should realize that majority of US population lives close to the ocean...thats mean East/West coast, Texas etc so 26 is quite a few and close to 90% of US population!

You should see how busy is Tuesday Night (amateur track) Racing in San Diego. And per my knowledge, most beginners track classes for adults are usually sold out. You may be also surprised about the Cyclocross popularity in US but I wont be wasting my time here explaining somebody with zero knowledge of US cycling scene what is going on here so keep on bashing track and cross ...

BTW look at Stybar, he is not from Belgium and he was doing quite well racing cross and his road future looks promising too ... so add few more countries to that track/cross interest list.

I suppose the other aspect of the Bos decision is that he may have been told to move on from the track and didn't have an option. I don't know his competition well enough to qualify that or it could be a purely financial decision. What would he get as an Olympic track cyclist compared to his contract at Rabo?

I am sure Luke Durbridge would rather be in Melbourne with his 4000 pursuit mates than on the road in France (possibly winning his first race as a professional) but the competition is cut throat and he couldn't quite make it into the excellent Australian team that includes his GE team mates Bobridge and Hepburn.

Would Bos have had an option to go back and ride in the Olympics with Rabobank? Or would they not be as supportive of track as teams like Sky and GreenEdge? Would actually be an interesting question to see which World Tour teams have riders on track programs for the Olympics, most teams should have some representation of riders for the Olympic road race...hmmm.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Der Effe said:
It definitely was, but to say that Bos "lacks everything to be a serious road cyclist" is not only nonsense, but also an unfair insult to Theo Bos. He's won some nice races already and sure, it maybe isn't what he hoped for but I still think he can prove to be a good cyclist in the next few years and get some decent wins.

Sure, he will never be 'the sprinter to beat' and he also will be never be 'the sprinter that has to be one that beats the sprinter to beat :)eek:)' but Bos is a good sprinter and with Renshaw as his lead out I'm pretty sure he can achieve some nice results for Rabo.

his goal was to become the best sprinter in the world, also on the road.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
CQmanager said:
You should realize that majority of US population lives close to the ocean...thats mean East/West coast, Texas etc so 26 is quite a few and close to 90% of US population!

You should see how busy is Tuesday Night (amateur track) Racing in San Diego. And per my knowledge, most beginners track classes for adults are usually sold out. You may be also surprised about the Cyclocross popularity in US but I wont be wasting my time here explaining somebody with zero knowledge of US cycling scene what is going on here so keep on bashing track and cross ...

BTW look at Stybar, he is not from Belgium and he was doing quite well racing cross and his road future looks promising too ... so add few more countries to that track/cross interest list.

stybar nobody cares about outside belgium, not even in czech

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
no he said he wanted to become a topsprinter on the road as well. otherwise he would return to track. he didn't want to become just a regular rider.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, Renshaw just needs some time.

He was even better when being protected sprinter at Credit Agricole than he is now. Maybe he has lost little bit the feeling being Nr.1 sprinter.

The problem is, nowadays, that you don´t get the time, especially not at his age. Furthermore, Rabo´s problem is that Bos didn´t develop as expected (was even thought to get close to Cav). And with Graeme Brown, he is solid, but wasn´t absolute world class and will probably never be.

I hope for Renshaw and Rabo that things will improve. Nobody knew before this season if it would work making Renshaw their lead sprinter, now it seems it hasn´t worked... I have more faith in their Ardennes and GT campaigns, expect Martens to be Top7 in Amstel and Liege, and Mollema Top10 in the Tour.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
no he said he wanted to become a topsprinter on the road as well. otherwise he would return to track. he didn't want to become just a regular rider.

Don´t think the track would be the right decision for him, any more. The fast guys there are much younger, furhermore, I expect him to earn > 200.000 EUR / year at Rabobank for his road season, he´ll never have that on the track.

RHRH19861986 said:
Don´t think the track would be the right decision for him, any more. The fast guys there are much younger, furhermore, I expect him to earn > 200.000 EUR / year at Rabobank for his road season, he´ll never have that on the track.
He wanted to do the omnium during the Olympics, but he had no possibility to qualify anymore with his surgery during the winter. In potential I think he's the best omnium candidate for Holland.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

I can't remember him saying that but being the best sprinter in the world and being a top sprinter are 2 different things... Let's wait until the Giro, I honestly think he can get some good results there, if Renshaw's his leadout man.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
He wanted to do the omnium during the Olympics, but he had no possibility to qualify anymore with his surgery during the winter. In potential I think he's the best omnium candidate for Holland.

Seems to me that my track knowledge could be better.. Thanks for posting;)

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I mean for a sport to become Olympic, there has to be worldwide interest. Afterwards it doesn't matter anymore :p

Modern pentathlon is an Olympic sport and i don't think there is a worldwide interest in it. I never even bothered to try and find out what that is.

But to sum it up, belgians are crazier about cross than british about track. On the other hand, track cycling has more worldwide interest than cross hs, which is limited to only one country or maybe a bit more if we include holland, france, czech republic.