• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Resign Pat" letter & signatories

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I've been thinking about this more. My main issue was I could not discipline myself to read the original letter crafted by Tinman.

If I can't be bothered reading it (harsh, I acknowledge), then Pat certainly won't, and many, many other people won't either. There are too many words to pick out the salient points.

My idea, in an attempt to counter my negativity is this: a charge sheet.

Simply list date and offence, one per line, of all the things Pat or Hein have done or facilitated within the UCI or cycling sphere.

It's still a "you need to resign" letter, but it just lists the bare facts, with no flair or emotive language.

If there's no direct evidence, use the word "allegedly", as it speaks to the impact the person has on the sport and its environment regardless.

Regardless, keep up the good work.

the big ring said:
I've been thinking about this more. My main issue was I could not discipline myself to read the original letter crafted by Tinman.

If I can't be bothered reading it (harsh, I acknowledge), then Pat certainly won't, and many, many other people won't either. There are too many words to pick out the salient points.

My idea, in an attempt to counter my negativity is this: a charge sheet.

Simply list date and offence, one per line, of all the things Pat or Hein have done or facilitated within the UCI or cycling sphere.

It's still a "you need to resign" letter, but it just lists the bare facts, with no flair or emotive language.

If there's no direct evidence, use the word "allegedly", as it speaks to the impact the person has on the sport and its environment regardless.

Regardless, keep up the good work.

We have (at least one) whole thread on this. With lots and lots of 'direct' evidence.

The letter is much shorter, and more likely to be read.

Dave.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Hey big ring, funny you should say that, patience my friend....

Meanwhile this one is going to be closing in about 30 hrs. It would be great if we could get 500 signatures and would really help with the next step....so, if can twist anyone's arm, now is the time.

Check your PMs in a minute

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
We have (at least one) whole thread on this. With lots and lots of 'direct' evidence.

The letter is much shorter, and more likely to be read.

Dave.

I guess my point is:

a list of headlines is more readable than an exposition, with its inherent biases and interpretations, regardless of how correct or damning it may be.

I disagree that the letter is more likely to be read. Twitter has accelerated like a rocket vs reading of articles online.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
After reading his latest comments, I thought about starting a "I want to punch that fat idiot Pat McQuaid in his mealy mouthed" thread, but I figured the mods would probably close it.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
On the petition page there is a simple intro. It then has a link to the letter on this thread. There are many folk who may never go to the thread. They have already decided either way. That's ok. The petition is an opportunity to express their concerns and call for action. If they do click on the link they may decide to hang in the clinic and read some threads. There they will build a deeper understanding of the issues and complexities surrounding doping. And they will talk to their clubmates, and national fed reps, and so on. That's what we want.

Benotti suggested contacting sponsors. Big Ring a charge sheet. IWCIJ has additional great ideas. Others again have suggested to contact national feds.

I think these can/should all be done. By tonight/tomorrow we will have a letter and list of names & comments off the petition site and this thread that we can email, tweet, handover in person. To be decided. Exactly how, probably not that critical.

We're not a professional PR firm with a Livestrong budget. But we are a group of passionate (mostly) like-minded cycling fans who can all take on an individual action item and team up here and there. None are perfect by themselves, but they all help build momentum with a broader group of fans & pressure on UCI.

The "Resign Pat" thread letter and Change.Org UCI petition and @PatMustGo twitter campaign were all done over a 4 day period by the 2 of us (never having met, still not even spoken, but connecting here via PM just over a week ago), with some (a lot actually) of help from partners. Shows you it can be done with a little bit of rolling up the sleeves and tenacity.

So yes to all, just do it (ahem, Nike slogan not the best way to finish this).

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
By the way, whilst we've had a serious attempt by "the dark side" to derail the petition, particularly early on, there are now 351 entries (we will take out sabotage & crackpots), with great consistent comments, and they keep coming in. Whatever we decide, whether to keep open or close the petition, we already have a solid base of cycling fans & comments that support the case for change. We can communicate what we have, and periodically update what's new. Or people can have a look - it speaks for itself.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Tinman said:
The "Resign Pat" thread letter and Change.Org UCI petition and @PatMustGo twitter campaign were all done over a 4 day period by the 2 of us (never having met, still not even spoken, but connecting here via PM just over a week ago), with some (a lot actually) of help from partners. Shows you it can be done with a little bit of rolling up the sleeves and tenacity.

So yes to all, just do it (ahem, Nike slogan not the best way to finish this).

Ha, just realized I never posted our twitter feed on the thread, I asked DIM and RR to tweet about the petition, which they kindly did. I really should have posted it here.

ThatsSoFunny.

Does that mean our followers at @PatMustGo come as a result of my beginners twitter stalking effort 2 days ago, or have I forgotten something....else?

Least I'm laughing today.

Since when did Nike tell people to "just toss out a letter including scathing criticism of Armstrong on the net, and ask for signatures from random strangers"? I like their change in company policy.

Edit, oh yeah I did put it there, just forgotten, all a bit of a blur.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I am putting a lot of thought into this, and truly believe we have a LOT of time to put something together.

In fact.

If we get something out too early, it may be swamped by everything else going on, and allow a much quicker end to everything.

It would (IMO) be equally effective to do what we are trying to do the instant USADA, etc failed to impact the UCI. It would prolong the spotlight on the UCI, and show that where "authorities" may have failed, we the general cycling public wish to continue pursuing it. I do not think this strategy (adding a new "battle" at what looks like the end of the "war") would in any way dilute the power of our message.

Just as Kimmage is being asked to publish something, the other idea I had was to set up a fund with a publication(s) with good reach in the cycling world, to publish our "fix the damn system" letter globally.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Saint Augustine said:
Fantastic letter more than happy to support

Agreed! Count me in too, MacQuaid is pompous, sour faced twit.. He obviously feels that he is under threat of exposure for his hidden deeds, so he's taking a page out of the LA note book and going on the offensive...

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
So we're now making the google search engines with the petition. And stimulating lots of discussion. Great. But also stimulating further speculation about motives. Hmm...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12879784&p=17882953

So time for some background as it's probably playing here also. And remember, better to play the ball than the man, so suggest we focus on the issues underpinning the letter & petition rather than speculated motives. At least in these threads. Or just PM me or IWCIJ if you have further questions...

Cycling fan (not a pro-cyclist nor even a decent amateur) from way back, grew up on a bike, actively cycling around 200k/week now in local club (except for the last 2 weeks...). Professional FT job, married for 25 years, 2 kids and a dog. Followed the LA/doping story from very afar. Never really bought in to his "clean" story. Got into heated argument with friends in past few months. Decided to start reading up more, jump onto forum here and elsewhere to self educate on doping. Lots of great info, links to other stuff, lots of banter, and some unsavory stuff also. But in general lots of talking, little action. But with a case that is very strong yet not being heard out there. Had some time on my hands, some ideas & teamed up with a likeminded soul within the forum. So we drafted a letter, set up a thread, then someone suggested a petition, set that up, then the idea came to supplement with twitter. And suddenly the thing takes off. 2 people (with partners) rolling up their sleeves. That simple.

Any questions/concerns just PM us.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
WOW. 400 signatures in 3 days! and it feels like 400 hours of sleep to catch up on. So we have now closed the petition, as much as it would be great to keep it open longer. It's been more than a full time project for the past week for us, and starting to strain relationships...

The list of signature names & countries and associated comments will be sent to Pat McQuaid at UCI tomorrow with a link to this thread where there are additional members who have expressed support.

It is very apparent from the response that there is a strong desire to bring about positive change. The comments in particular express this powerfully. Over the next week or so we will make these available more broadly. There are some common feelings expressed, but what comes through most is that cycling fans have had enough.

So what have we collectively achieved:
- we have invigorated many people that want to see active change and provided a vehicle to express this
- we are stimulating debate beyond the LA and doping saga, towards the need for change at the top of UCI

AND
- we have experienced a sense that big things may be achieved by speaking out and collaborating

A huge thank you for your support and contributions. It's time for some new initiatives...

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Tinman said:
WOW. 400 signatures in 3 days! and it feels like 400 hours of sleep to catch up on. So we have now closed the petition, as much as it would be great to keep it open longer. It's been more than a full time project for the past week for us, and starting to strain relationships...

The list of signature names & countries and associated comments will be sent to Pat McQuaid at UCI tomorrow with a link to this thread where there are additional members who have expressed support.

It is very apparent from the response that there is a strong desire to bring about positive change. The comments in particular express this powerfully. Over the next week or so we will make these available more broadly. There are some common feelings expressed, but what comes through most is that cycling fans have had enough.

So what have we collectively achieved:
- we have invigorated many people that want to see active change and provided a vehicle to express this
- we are stimulating debate beyond the LA and doping saga, towards the need for change at the top of UCI

AND
- we have experienced a sense that big things may be achieved by speaking out and collaborating

A huge thank you for your support and contributions. It's time for some new initiatives...

For this to work yo must also send the same thing to Cycling news sites and cycling Journo ´s etc

The only way Pat etc will take note of the whole thing is if a reporter asks him in a public presser about it.

Otherwise Pat will have another drink and toast with go fvck yourselves

ps only popped in for this important point

just some guy said:
For this to work yo must also send the same thing to Cycling news sites and cycling Journo ´s etc

The only way Pat etc will take note of the whole thing is if a reporter asks him in a public presser about it.

Otherwise Pat will have another drink and toast with go fvck yourselves

ps only popped in for this important point
Does anyone have a good press release mailing list for Tinman please?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry all, just heard about this tonight and petition closed. Utmost support to you, and I wish I had known earlier!
Thank you for your efforts in expressing what I feel!
Gary

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for all you support and enthusiasm. Lot of good comments here along the lines of some of the "must happen next time" things I was thinking. Will get onto this soon but gotta catch up with some other stuff that i should have been doing while this was on.......particularly sleep.

Hold that enthusiasm please. I have a plan.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Looking through the thread to check the supportes list and saw thirteens post.

ANDY SHEN signed the petition and tweeted it? Really? We had just been discussing what to do about his signature there....maybe leave it is the answer. That would be cool.

I just posted the provisional list of clinic members who want to support the petition HERE. In many of the posts it's a bit difficult to tell if people wanted to support it here or online.

If you signed the online petition, please PM me to remove your name from the list. We don't want to be double counting. If your name is on the list by mistake, please do likewise.

If you wanted to support the petition here, but your name isn't on the list, please also PM me.

Thanks.

Edit: I just want to say that one of the coolest things for me was the way noobs and lurkers came out and supported this. I think there are a lot of people out there who want an opportunity do something about this. Do they get a 6month free pass, where they won't get labeled as trolls. I think they deserve one.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
Looking through the thread to check the supportes list and saw thirteens post.

ANDY SHEN signed the petition and tweeted it? Really? We had just been discussing what to do about his signature there....maybe leave it is the answer. That would be cool.

I just posted the provisional list of clinic members who want to support the petition HERE. In many of the posts it's a bit difficult to tell if people wanted to support it here or online.

If you signed the online petition, please PM me to remove your name from the list. We don't want to be double counting. If your name is on the list by mistake, please do likewise.

If you wanted to support the petition here, but your name isn't on the list, please also PM me.

Thanks.

Edit: I just want to say that one of the coolest things for me was the way noobs and lurkers came out and supported this. I think there are a lot of people out there who want an opportunity do something about this. Do they get a 6month free pass, where they won't get labeled as trolls. I think they deserve one.

Wowzers there's an idea. Have people tweet their support of a petition and supply that as "proof" that they are an actual supporter.

Rather than just annoyamous people signing as Dan Benson, you can verify via a tweet that Dan has supported the petition, and then that tweet spreads the bird. Killing 2 birds with one stone, just like Lance! :eek: