• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Resign Pat" letter & signatories

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Baldwin said:
I assume that it won't help a lot but if you feel like using it, here is this piece in Polish.

Done and Thanks!

For some of the longer term members it puts 'Polish' in a a whole different perspective!

Sep 11, 2012
www.szosa.rowery.org
AcademyCC said:
Pat's name in Polish - Pata McQuida - that is absolutely priceless.

well, it's Pat, but it's a little complicated. I'll try to explain.

"otwarty list do prezydenta UCI Pata McQuaida" means "an open letter to president Pat McQuaid". In Polish we have 7 cases, you got only three (nominative case, genitiv case and objective case). So "do Pata McQuaida" is like "to who?" - "to Pat McQuaid". We just add "-a".

I know that it is complicated. Just tust me and correct the spelling in the petition.

I've been reading this forum for years, registered couple days ago. I am an editor of Polish biggest cycling website (http://www.rowery.org) and I don't mean to sabotage your petition ;) in case you wanted to check - I'm registered in rowery.org under the same nick and e-mail so it's not hard to check.

Regards

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Signed.

Well done. As stated above: just getting debate out in the "public arena", that is, outside the clinic... is a great move.

Discussion and transparency are valuable elements to addressing the canker that blights this sport we regard so fondly.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Baldwin said:
well, it's Pat, but it's a little complicated. I'll try to explain.
I've been reading this forum for years, registered couple days ago. I am an editor of Polish biggest cycling website (http://www.rowery.org) and I don't mean to sabotage your petition ;) in case you wanted to check - I'm registered in rowery.org under the same nick and e-mail so it's not hard to check.

Regards

Your website is a blank page, in both Firefox and IE. :confused:

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Baldwin said:
Just tust me and correct the spelling in the petition.

Baldwin every new poster here deserves the benefit of the doubt, as much as we have had problem posters in the past. If we can't trust anymore what is the world coming to, right?

Baldwin said:
I am an editor of Polish biggest cycling website (http://www.rowery.org) and I don't mean to sabotage your petition ;) in case you wanted to check - I'm registered in rowery.org under the same nick and e-mail so it's not hard to check.

Sensational to have this go in your language and hope we will get much support from Poland. Certainly the tour of Poland was pretty exciting watching, and probably changed a lot of perceptions for those of us who never visited.

Sep 11, 2012
www.szosa.rowery.org
Tinman said:
Baldwin every new poster here deserves the benefit of the doubt, as much as we have had problem posters in the past. If we can't trust anymore what is the world coming to, right?

Sensational to have this go in your language and hope we will get much support from Poland. Certainly the tour of Poland was pretty exciting watching, and probably changed a lot of perceptions for those of us who never visited.

right, I understand, I have similar cases on my website :)

Yep, despite horrible tv coverage it really did. And finally, the rider from Poland was fighting for the overall win :)

I posted the link to the petition on our forum (we also got it, just like Cyclingnews), we'll see. If somebody signs it, great but I seriously doubt if this is going to be huge numbers.

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
AcademyCC said:
Dr. Maserati said:
Can you clear that up please? Who did that.
Because 2 other posters have commented and I feel I must also - I would not attempt to talk anyone out of signing.

But as mentioned - petitions will do little. The UCI is not a democracy - 50 signatures 5000 signatures, Pat & Hein wont care."

Dr Maserati - now is not the time or place. No one is being accused of anything. Some people want to create a petition and see if it can gain some traction. End Of.

Its not about who signs or not just a group wanting to try something. I think it may work. If it doesn't we can open another thread open to more ideas. Your input will be important then.

If you don't like online petitions - cool. There will be more opportunities.

Well if you are going to jump on Dr Maserati ("now is not the time or place") it would be nice if you would also call out @I Love Cycling and @Tinman. Their statements were definately inflammatory and added absolutely nothing.

Personally my first thought regarding when I saw the petition was how naive. After all we've experienced with the persistence (beyond belief really) of the forum trolls, how could you not think the petition would be a target. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be done etc etc and I will sign as well. Just that attacking posters for pointing out some inconvient truths is not particularily productive...

I suspect the Kimmage fund will do more concrete damage then the petition since its hard to argue with folks putting money where their mouth is...

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Baldwin said:
Okay guys, I've also signed it.

I wouldn't fully agree with some of the expression but I think supporting such an action may be good for cycling itself.

I can translate the petition to Polish if you want to.

Well, obviously we're not going to have any discussion. :rolleyes: Maybe this isn't the time for it. I'll bow to the (vast) majority and sign, too. But let's keep an eye on things and keep the heat on Verdruggem and the UCI as a whole, and not just Pat.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Want members to see this latest post on the petition by an anonymous poster, I am going to leave it on for now, even though it's unsigned.

People reading the petition and members can make up their own mind...

"ThisPetition IsUnethical Oxford, United Kingdom 6 minutes ago
While I agree that there is a serious problem in cycling, this petition and especially those employees of cyclingnews.com that planted this on their Forum are wrong. The cyclingnews.org Forum is used to create unfounded suspicions about famous people in cycling as well as among the users themselves. Those who do not agree with the language of hate are drowned out in the discussion and they have their personal lives destroyed. People who do not follow their own rules cannot possibly be in a position to point fingers and blame at others. Surely this will help to raise again the cyclingnews.com advertising revenues, but it will only damage honest cyclists and those who want a clean sport. Anyone signing this loses all credibility in the world of cycling. Most of the signatures here have been invented by cyclingnews.com and many have been misled as to the intention of this petition."

Ed. Some pretty interesting allegations here...

Tinman said:
Want members to see this latest post on the petition by an anonymous poster, I am going to leave it on for now, even though it's unsigned.

People reading the petition and members can make up their own mind...

"ThisPetition IsUnethical Oxford, United Kingdom 6 minutes ago
While I agree that there is a serious problem in cycling, this petition and especially those employees of cyclingnews.com that planted this on their Forum are wrong. The cyclingnews.org Forum is used to create unfounded suspicions about famous people in cycling as well as among the users themselves. Those who do not agree with the language of hate are drowned out in the discussion and they have their personal lives destroyed. People who do not follow their own rules cannot possibly be in a position to point fingers and blame at others. Surely this will help to raise again the cyclingnews.com advertising revenues, but it will only damage honest cyclists and those who want a clean sport. Anyone signing this loses all credibility in the world of cycling. Most of the signatures here have been invented by cyclingnews.com and many have been misled as to the intention of this petition."

I would love to see how much PS bills for.

As to the bolded part: Honest cyclists are signing this petition. They don't have much other recourse, do they?

Dave.

Anna Zimmerman Austin, Belgium 5 minutes ago Liked0

As you know I am very much against Pat McQuaid and Lance Armstrong. I was banned on the CN Clinic after being called a nitwit and other unsavory things. So I cannot post there. May I kindly ask you to stop posting on my blog. Good luck with the petition.

The good news is your detractors are pretty stupid and easy to spot, Austin Belgium...

The thing to keep in mind is that the UCI is an old boys club, akin to the US Congress. They practically vote themselves in, vote themselves raises, and protect themselves at all costs, first and foremost. Pat and Hein sit on ivory towers that are not going to topple easily. It's going to take more than this petition to upend them. Not only will the petition need the 500 minimum signatures, it's going to have to take wings across the entire media, bleeding beyond small cycling magazines and websites into articles in papers like Le Monde, New York Times, London Times, etc. and magazines like Sports Illustrated. Pat and Hein need to be fully and continually embarrassed for them to voluntarily step away. They are not going to do it from a letter writing campaign.

The only other way it's going to happen is if the money hose points another direction. If cycling starts losing viewership, or nearly all fans talk about is how rotten of a sport it is, it might start putting a dent into sponsorship and TV contracts. But that would only be a start. Even now AIGCP recently voted a full no-confidence in the UCI leadership back in May, and it did absolutely nothing. So the push has to be larger than that.

We have a long way to go.