• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Revalations 2014 Season

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
imo Quintana was not a revelation this season.

He showed in Vuelta 2012 that he could climb with Contador and Rodriguez as a 22 yo domestique, and of course had countless top performances before that, so to see him beat these guys as a 23 yo team leader, was not a surprise.
Sadly, not all of the cycling media (at least the english speaking component) were well informed enough to see it coming :rolleyes:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Quintana still a revelation, showed great promise but before 2013 I doubt many would have betted on him being 2nd at the tour. By the start of the tour many would and did but they wouldn't have at the end of 2012.

greenedge said:
I would have characterised Coquard and Dennis already as having broken out this year- a spell in a yellow jersey at the Dauphinie and a stage race for Dennis and Coquard won quite a few races.

You could even say in 2012 they were revelations- 5th TDU, silver at the Olympics pursuit/ U23 WC ITT and then a ride in the Olympics track (I think???) and 2nd at the U23 RR.

Yeah- Hepburn is (rode well at WC TTT :)).

Dennis and Meyer showed some improvement this year and hopefully it continues.

karlboss said:
Quintana still a revelation, showed great promise but before 2013 I doubt many would have betted on him being 2nd at the tour. By the start of the tour many would and did but they wouldn't have at the end of 2012.
Quite a few people had him for a podium. The only thing holding him back was piti as team leader but that doesn't show doubt in his abilities.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Quite a few people had him for a podium. The only thing holding him back was piti as team leader but that doesn't show doubt in his abilities.

Really? who said after the Vuelta still in 2012, "tour podium 2013"? (Ryo doesn't count?)
Or do you just object to him being a revelation two years running, i'd say he was perhaps the revelation of 2012. I'd say the confirming of ability with results is still something of a revelation.

karlboss said:
Really? who said after the Vuelta still in 2012, "tour podium 2013"? (Ryo doesn't count?)
Or do you just object to him being a revelation two years running, i'd say he was perhaps the revelation of 2012. I'd say the confirming of ability with results is still something of a revelation.

all right all right, if it means that much to you- he was a revelation.;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
What type of rider is Jasper Stuyven? I am a bit confused by his results:

- won GC at Volta ao Alentejo, which I was under the impression is a quite hard race, plus pretty long for U23. So GC?

- third in LBL U23, so 1-day races?

- third in Utah circuit race and another mass arrival, so sprinter?

Seems like a very promising allrounder, what do you think?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:

- won GC at Volta ao Alentejo, which I was under the impression is a quite hard race, plus pretty long for U23. So GC?

I've always thought of him as a future rider for the cobbled classics/one days and maybe sprints on the side as well.

Not a hint of objectivity from me on this one, but hoping for big things from Irish u23 champion Sam Bennett this year in his first year as a pro. He'll be the first pro from my neck of the woods since Ciarán Power (who you mightn't have heard of) and Seán Kelly (who you probably have).

He's a mean sprinter and won a stage at this year's Tour of Britain and came second in two others, beating everyone but Cavendish in the final stage into London. He also won two stages of this year's Rás, which will have endeared him to fans of grassroots Irish cycling.

Hopefully NetaApp-Endura get a Giro wildcard this year, it would be great to see him mixing with the best on the two Irish flat stages.

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Christian said:

Similar abilities to GVA I feel, but better at climbing and maybe less so at cobbles.

Good move for him next year!

Christian said:

Volta ao Alentejo had one reasonably hard stage, which he won. But the Worlds course was too hard for him. I think he'll be a guy for the races in Flanders.

TRENDING THREADS