• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Revalations 2014 Season

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he can climb well in fact. he did top 25 vuelta I think for a sprinter.

Oh, so a climber is someone who finished 32th in the Vuelta as his best result?

Well, then it is a bloody useluss discussion.

He is a fast guy who can climb well, but when you're talking about Colombians you talk about real grimpeurs.

(P.S., Edwin Avila:p)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
What type of rider is Jasper Stuyven? I am a bit confused by his results:

- won GC at Volta ao Alentejo, which I was under the impression is a quite hard race, plus pretty long for U23. So GC?

- third in LBL U23, so 1-day races?

- third in Utah circuit race and another mass arrival, so sprinter?

Seems like a very promising allrounder, what do you think?

volta ao alentejo is completely flat

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Arredondo said:
Oh, so a climber is someone who finished 32th in the Vuelta as his best result?

Well, then it is a bloody useluss discussion.

He is a fast guy who can climb well, but when you're talking about Colombians you talk about real grimpeurs.

(P.S., Edwin Avila:p)

like I said every colombian can climb. even their sprinters. I didn't say he was a climber.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Also iirc the toughest climb on the Volta ao Alentejo, which by the way is by far the flattest part of Portugal, was a cobbled/partially cobbled climb.

Thanks, it seems I had a missconception of the course of this race :)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
like I said every colombian can climb. even their sprinters. I didn't say he was a climber.

So a climber is someone who can get over a climb?

Wow, always thought i discovered the missing link:rolleyes:

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Arredondo said:
So a climber is someone who can get over a climb?

Wow, always thought i discovered the missing link:rolleyes:

When it comes to Ryo and Colombian talent, logic goes out the window faster than you can say Nairo Quintana.

1st stage of Alentejo was to this town:

IMG_0044.JPG

The climb is 6km at 5,5%, so it's not über-hard but it does show that he's not a mug on slightly more sizable hills. He was 7th, 5" down, just behind Alejandro Marque and Délio Fernández, and just ahead of Arkaitz Durán. He took the lead by winning from a group that held on on the totally flat 2nd stage, I think wind came into it if I remember correctly. This was followed by 2 more flat stages, one sprint and one where Tom Zirbel and Scott Zwizanski stayed away from the field, then an uphill finish into Santiago do Cacém to finish, where Stuyven again finished 7th at 5", but kept the gaps to Chad Haga and Délio Fernández, the two threats to his jersey, small enough to keep it.

Libertine Seguros said:
1st stage of Alentejo was to this town:

IMG_0044.JPG

The climb is 6km at 5,5%, so it's not über-hard but it does show that he's not a mug on slightly more sizable hills. He was 7th, 5" down, just behind Alejandro Marque and Délio Fernández, and just ahead of Arkaitz Durán. He took the lead by winning from a group that held on on the totally flat 2nd stage, I think wind came into it if I remember correctly. This was followed by 2 more flat stages, one sprint and one where Tom Zirbel and Scott Zwizanski stayed away from the field, then an uphill finish into Santiago do Cacém to finish, where Stuyven again finished 7th at 5", but kept the gaps to Chad Haga and Délio Fernández, the two threats to his jersey, small enough to keep it.

Parts of Portugal is simply marvelous.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Fewer riders had bigger CQ points swings than Bryan Coquard, though he did most of his damage at the Continental Tour level; with Europcar jumping to the WT in 2014, I think he's on his way to lots of success.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
No doubt hes a top talent, just saying the sprinter competition is particularly strong at the top these days, so can he continue the rise? Maybe.

Oh, I wasn't posting that to contest your point, just to bolster my initial point. I think you're quite right about the competition.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
VeloHuman said:
Fewer riders had bigger CQ points swings than Bryan Coquard, though he did most of his damage at the Continental Tour level; with Europcar jumping to the WT in 2014, I think he's on his way to lots of success.

Yep, agree. Coquard really is a great talent. Didn't even have him on my CQ team this year, so normally I would be wanting him not to win so much, but I soon found myself really wanting to see him win more races even knowing he would give others a lead over me in the CQ game. :D

I really like this photo of him as well.
Coquard-wins-666x440.jpg

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Another rider who really impressed me this season was Jon Izagirre, now headed to Movistar. His versatility was surprising: we knew he could climb, but he did a beast time trial in the Tour de Pologne on the way second place in GC in that race, and took a top 10 (with a fast finish) in a one-day race, the GP Montreal. He's still only 24, so it looks like the rich get richer at Movistar.

TRENDING THREADS