Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Carapaz is a hero in Ecuador. The country is delighted.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-victory-gives-carapaz-sporting-immortality-in-ecuador/

These are things that make me very happy for a nation like Ecuador.
Coming from a countries with international sports (or any kind of) achievements are few and far between, I easily fall for the warmth of this kind of story. Some nations, even the most fractured ones, can really feel deep collective emotion through something like this, at least for awhile.
 
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Please let this fall through. Surely Bernal, Sivakov, Sosa, Hart, Dunbar etc are enough young talent. This would be purely out of denial.
No idea what Ineos' thinking is here, but for a guy like Carapaz that's probably life-changing money for his whole family.

Can't blame him whatsoever for taking that deal if it's offered.
 
You would hope/think that his newfound fame and status in Ecuador would open up a bunch of financial opportunity and Movistar or another team that could offer him clear leadership could offer at least a decent percentage of that number so that he wouldn't need to go to Ineos.
 
Hope he stays at Movistar with a better contract. Especially if Quintana and Landa both are leaving.

Even if they bring in Mas it would still make sense to stay. They also showed this Giro that they have a good team to support him.
 
Re:

jaylew said:
You would hope/think that his newfound fame and status in Ecuador would open up a bunch of financial opportunity and Movistar or another team that could offer him clear leadership could offer at least a decent percentage of that number so that he wouldn't need to go to Ineos.
A percentage is still less than at least €4.5 million and Ineos are more than capable of going higher, plus his roommate is already at the team.
 
Re:

jaylew said:
You would hope/think that his newfound fame and status in Ecuador would open up a bunch of financial opportunity and Movistar or another team that could offer him clear leadership could offer at least a decent percentage of that number so that he wouldn't need to go to Ineos.

Another team likely could offer him around 1.5 million, but Sky/Ineos can offer him 4,5 or even 6 million and no one else can come close to that. Also at Movistar he'll never have full leadership.
 
Re: Re:

spalco said:
42x16ss said:
Please let this fall through. Surely Bernal, Sivakov, Sosa, Hart, Dunbar etc are enough young talent. This would be purely out of denial.
No idea what Ineos' thinking is here, but for a guy like Carapaz that's probably life-changing money for his whole family.

Can't blame him whatsoever for taking that deal if it's offered.
They're probably thinking post-Froome, but that many future (even current) leaders would be dangerous for team harmony
 
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
spalco said:
42x16ss said:
Please let this fall through. Surely Bernal, Sivakov, Sosa, Hart, Dunbar etc are enough young talent. This would be purely out of denial.
No idea what Ineos' thinking is here, but for a guy like Carapaz that's probably life-changing money for his whole family.

Can't blame him whatsoever for taking that deal if it's offered.
They're probably thinking post-Froome, but that many future (even current) leaders would be dangerous for team harmony
Dave Brailsford is pretty good at managing ego's
 
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Another team likely could offer him around 1.5 million, but Sky/Ineos can offer him 4,5 or even 6 million and no one else can come close to that. Also at Movistar he'll never have full leadership.
You must be kidding, 4,5 or even 6 million of what kind of coin...? 6 million € to Carapaz? It's for sure, you are kidding
 
Re: Re:

Ludwigzgz said:
Koronin said:
Another team likely could offer him around 1.5 million, but Sky/Ineos can offer him 4,5 or even 6 million and no one else can come close to that. Also at Movistar he'll never have full leadership.
You must be kidding, 4,5 or even 6 million of what kind of coin...? 6 million € to Carapaz? It's for sure, you are kidding

Only to a point. They can afford it with their budget. No one else can.
 
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
jaylew said:
You would hope/think that his newfound fame and status in Ecuador would open up a bunch of financial opportunity and Movistar or another team that could offer him clear leadership could offer at least a decent percentage of that number so that he wouldn't need to go to Ineos.

Another team likely could offer him around 1.5 million, but Sky/Ineos can offer him 4,5 or even 6 million and no one else can come close to that. Also at Movistar he'll never have full leadership.
I'm referring to clear leadership in a GT. He just won the Giro, Landa and Nairo look to be on the way out and Valverde isn't really a GC contender at this point and even if he was, there are 3 GTs so I don't agree that he wouldn't have full leadership.
 
Re: Re:

jaylew said:
Koronin said:
jaylew said:
You would hope/think that his newfound fame and status in Ecuador would open up a bunch of financial opportunity and Movistar or another team that could offer him clear leadership could offer at least a decent percentage of that number so that he wouldn't need to go to Ineos.

Another team likely could offer him around 1.5 million, but Sky/Ineos can offer him 4,5 or even 6 million and no one else can come close to that. Also at Movistar he'll never have full leadership.
I'm referring to clear leadership in a GT. He just won the Giro, Landa and Nairo look to be on the way out and Valverde isn't really a GC contender at this point and even if he was, there are 3 GTs so I don't agree that he wouldn't have full leadership.

Ah, in that case, yes they could offer him one of the GTs as the leader. They are likely bringing in Mas. However again, 3 Grand Tours and that's even assuming Valverde will continue to be given la Vuelta to race as leader if he wants it.
 
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
jaylew said:
Koronin said:
jaylew said:
You would hope/think that his newfound fame and status in Ecuador would open up a bunch of financial opportunity and Movistar or another team that could offer him clear leadership could offer at least a decent percentage of that number so that he wouldn't need to go to Ineos.

Another team likely could offer him around 1.5 million, but Sky/Ineos can offer him 4,5 or even 6 million and no one else can come close to that. Also at Movistar he'll never have full leadership.
I'm referring to clear leadership in a GT. He just won the Giro, Landa and Nairo look to be on the way out and Valverde isn't really a GC contender at this point and even if he was, there are 3 GTs so I don't agree that he wouldn't have full leadership.

Ah, in that case, yes they could offer him one of the GTs as the leader. They are likely bringing in Mas. However again, 3 Grand Tours and that's even assuming Valverde will continue to be given la Vuelta to race as leader if he wants it.
Carapaz wins a GT, riding consistently and with courage and panache, and NQ asks (probably demands) that he dom for him in the Tour. If I’m Carapaz, I’m saying no, too. Those days are done. Carapaz is the new king.
 
I must say Movistar paying Carapaz £150K a year was dismal... It was obvious last year he had great talent why did they not cop on ..Richie Porte got 3 million a year at BMC and now £2 million at Trek but Carapaz gets 150K at Movistar. I bet most riders at EF are on more than that , even riders at Dim Data and Doms at Lotto Soudal
That was stupid and greedy by Movistar and if they lose him they only have their selves to blame
 
Re:

HelloDolly said:
I must say Movistar paying Carapaz £150K a year was dismal... It was obvious last year he had great talent why did they not cop on ..Richie Porte got 3 million a year at BMC and now £2 million at Trek but Carapaz gets 150K at Movistar. I bet most riders at EF are on more than that , even riders at Dim Data and Doms at Lotto Soudal
That was stupid and greedy by Movistar and if they lose him they only have their selves to blame
Have to agree. Could be that Movistar doesn't really even have a shot just for that reason.
 
Where does Carapaz think he will fit in with Bernal, Thomas, Froome and now Sivakov showing he has a bright future as a GT rider, it seems like.

I guess Thomas and maybe Froome dont have that many years left in them but going there right now seems like a waste. Unless he is cool with being co-captain and maybe having dom duties in races. I guess money and having everything else at your disposal within the team with all their resources could be a factor. Does not seem like a smart move if he wants to win races though, but what do I know. He could surely become a better rider at that team and develop further, but I feel he shouldnt go there anyway...
 
IF Trek Segafredo were smart they would sign Carapaz instead of/as well as Nibali. Nothing against Nibali, but Trek need a GT leader who isn't in the twilight of their career.

I guess it would go against their youth policy though :rolleyes:
 
Carapaz is not getting 4.5 million euros at Ineos...Froome doesn't get that
I'd say 3 million tops

The problem for Carapaz is leadership at the Tour. Surely after wining the Giro he will want to try and win the biggest race in the world. He wont get leadership for the Tour at Ineos

Seems to me like he could have gotten 2 million at Trek or Direct Energie or Bharain or UAE ...even Movistar could have come up with the money now that Landa & Quintana are gone...Going to Ineoas will not workout ...mark my words
 
Landa got his best ever TdF result as a domestique for Sky. He also had leadership at the Giro that year, but one crash ruined his gc chances. He still got a stage win and the climber’s jersey.

Carapaz will get chances to win races for Ineos. If he’s in the right place at the right time, that might even be in the Tour. If he’s signed with them for 2 years, he’ll be 29 if/when he starts a Tour for another team, which would give him plenty of opportunity to name his price at another squad. In the meantime, making money by the truckload while helping Bernal or Thomas or Froome is just a big payday without the pressure of leadership.
 
Carapaz is not getting 4.5 million euros at Ineos...Froome doesn't get that
I'd say 3 million tops

The problem for Carapaz is leadership at the Tour. Surely after wining the Giro he will want to try and win the biggest race in the world. He wont get leadership for the Tour at Ineos

Seems to me like he could have gotten 2 million at Trek or Direct Energie or Bharain or UAE ...even Movistar could have come up with the money now that Landa & Quintana are gone...Going to Ineoas will not workout ...mark my words
Where does that number come from?

I would assume that's over a 3 year period so 1.5M a year. And I think it's possible he signed this before he won the Giro, cause I would believe winning the Giro would make him worth more than that.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY