Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Carapaz is in the prime of his cycling years right now and clearly capable of winning another GT, hard to say if it's the TdF just yet, but of course the Vuelta or another Giro is something you could be confident about. Going to Ineos...I would think he'd want a guarantee of leadership at a GT next year. Why work as a domestique? And there are 3 serious young GC talents at Ineos right now, if you think -- as I do -- that Sivakov and Sosa can win a GT.

I am somewhat surprised that Movistar isn't publicly making noises about making him the centerpiece of their squad. But many things Movistar has done surprise me.

The next step after a Giro win is a TDF podium, IMO. Brailsford was low-key going for a TDF podium sweep ...and would have succeeded, too, without Froome's terrible crash.

If Carapaz delivers next year he'll be a Plan C at the 2021 TDF. Not so bad, at all.

If Carapaz wins the Giro for Ineos they pretty much have to make him a co-leader for the 2021 Tour. They can't keep sending him to the Giro if that's the case. Froome, Plan G and Plan B were joint Tour leaders this year. If one of them is past it in two years...

They've won every jersey bar the points classification, every team classification and twelve stages.
Yes, and since they focused on GC, Wiggins failed miserably in 2013, Porte in 2015, Landa in 2016, Landa and Thomas crashed out in 2017 before Froomey won in 2018. Then, of course, Bernal crashed out before the race this year which in turn was a blessing in disguise.

Bump. More than one whole year without a comment in this thread. :eek:
Shows how underrated he is still. I love watching him climb. His Giro win was not a fluke. Unpopular opinion: he is Ineos' best GT rider.
Giro win wasn't a fluke cause he won it. Winning another GT will be waaaay harder. He climbs very well, impressed by yesterday's stage but we have/had lots of great climbers who didn't come close to winning a GT. Ineos ruined his season by sending him to support Bernal.

Very hard to judge rider levels from breakaways tbh. Stage 16 he obviously wasn't too hot cause he got destroyed by Kämna. Stage he did both climbs about some 5 minutes slower than the fastest of the peloton. Today he was climbing with Kwiatkowski.
Bump. More than one whole year without a comment in this thread. :eek:
Shows how underrated he is still. I love watching him climb. His Giro win was not a fluke. Unpopular opinion: he is Ineos' best GT rider.
I'd say it's Thomas.

Giro win wasn't a fluke cause he won it. Winning another GT will be waaaay harder. He climbs very well, impressed by yesterday's stage but we have/had lots of great climbers who didn't come close to winning a GT. Ineos ruined his season by sending him to support Bernal.
Pretty much. I wouldn't call it a fluke as in saying he'd never reach that level again. Just that he needed a lot of things to fall his way to win.

Very hard to judge rider levels from breakaways tbh. Stage 16 he obviously wasn't too hot cause he got destroyed by Kämna. Stage he did both climbs about some 5 minutes slower than the fastest of the peloton. Today he was climbing with Kwiatkowski.
I know but Kamna dropped him on the flat/downhill, and he was nowhere to be seen (he tried but didn't have it) the next two days while Carapaz got stronger every day.

I'd say it's Thomas.
Well I was probably exaggerating a bit there. But I need to see Thomas reach a super high level again in a GT before naming him Ineos'best bet. Hopefully he is good in the Giro.

I'll change my statement. Carapaz is as good of a climber as Bernal if not better.

ASK THE COMMUNITY