Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Very good result considering the Grennies lost two riders and had no pursuiters in their Vuelta roster to begin with...big contrast to their Giro team which included a couple of the greatest pursuiters ever (and of course TGH has some pursuit/team-pursuit experience himself). I think with a solid team behind him, Richie is a real contender for another GT win.
Well, he and Roglic are 1-1 in GTs in which they went head to head for the GC. As mentioned above, give him Ganna and Dennis and a few top climbers and I think he'd compete will in the Tour.

I don't know what to say about SpongeBob.

Carapaz was the strongest on a single MTF in a Vuelta with a questionable field. The strongest team in the Tour is utterly wasted on him.
I disagree. He's one of Ineos' best bets. Who else can they send? Hart, yes. Well, who knows what to make of Hart's Giro win, which came against the likes of Hindley and Kelderman and profited massively from Dennis?
Carapaz is not an über-performer-but then Roglic isn't, either. He's not great at time-trialing, but neither is Bernal. Right now I see Ineos having an incredible strength but not the strongest rider, whichever one they choose from their roster. Unless Thomas is back to his best, one might just as well argue for Carapaz. But actually I suppose Ineos would be well off taking a multiple leader approach this time, because they should have plenty of guys who are able to stay within touch and put other teams under pressure. The way it looks right now they have to play their cards right, though.

About Spongebob - did you read that somewhere, toby, or does it show in his language...?

Reactions: Sandisfan
About Spongebob - did you read that somewhere, toby, or does it show in his language...?
Unfortunately, I am culturally lacking having never watched a minute of it, so I wouldn't have been able to make that assessment.

“I know some of the episodes off by heart and from memory so I repeat them in English and learn from it. There are many good episodes to learn from.”

I disagree. He's one of Ineos' best bets. Who else can they send? Hart, yes. Well, who knows what to make of Hart's Giro win, which came against the likes of Hindley and Kelderman and profited massively from Dennis?
Carapaz is not an über-performer-but then Roglic isn't, either. He's not great at time-trialing, but neither is Bernal. Right now I see Ineos having an incredible strength but not the strongest rider, whichever one they choose from their roster. Unless Thomas is back to his best, one might just as well argue for Carapaz. But actually I suppose Ineos would be well off taking a multiple leader approach this time, because they should have plenty of guys who are able to stay within touch and put other teams under pressure. The way it looks right now they have to play their cards right, though.

I'd take Thomas and Bernal with every day of the week and twice on Sunday

and Bernal has a 34 year old back apparently, i just dont think carapaz has the highest ceiling of them Ineos guys but he sure is the most consistent, so in the end you probably go with Thomas,Bernal and Carapaz and see who has it because there is higher chance that something happens to Thomas than him having a smooth GT and who can realisticaly judge back pain - its one of those things that nobody knows why its happening

but then you end up with Carapaz against Pogacar so there is now always the possibility of him going absolutely mental and i doubt carapaz has that extra gear

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thomas? He's a 34 year old with 2 total GT top 10's in his entire career.
He was, after all, still designated leader over Tao. Which to me implies that he probably had clearly better numbers than Tao as well. And he has the ITT in his favour. I don't see a reason how Ineos would pick Vuelta '20 Carapaz over an in-form Thomas. If Thomas hasn't regressed next year that is.

ASK THE COMMUNITY