• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Carapaz was the strongest on a single MTF in a Vuelta with a questionable field. The strongest team in the Tour is utterly wasted on him.

I disagree. He's one of Ineos' best bets. Who else can they send? Hart, yes. Well, who knows what to make of Hart's Giro win, which came against the likes of Hindley and Kelderman and profited massively from Dennis?
Carapaz is not an über-performer-but then Roglic isn't, either. He's not great at time-trialing, but neither is Bernal. Right now I see Ineos having an incredible strength but not the strongest rider, whichever one they choose from their roster. Unless Thomas is back to his best, one might just as well argue for Carapaz. But actually I suppose Ineos would be well off taking a multiple leader approach this time, because they should have plenty of guys who are able to stay within touch and put other teams under pressure. The way it looks right now they have to play their cards right, though.

About Spongebob - did you read that somewhere, toby, or does it show in his language...?

Reactions: Sandisfan
About Spongebob - did you read that somewhere, toby, or does it show in his language...?

Unfortunately, I am culturally lacking having never watched a minute of it, so I wouldn't have been able to make that assessment.

“I know some of the episodes off by heart and from memory so I repeat them in English and learn from it. There are many good episodes to learn from.”

I disagree. He's one of Ineos' best bets. Who else can they send? Hart, yes. Well, who knows what to make of Hart's Giro win, which came against the likes of Hindley and Kelderman and profited massively from Dennis?
Carapaz is not an über-performer-but then Roglic isn't, either. He's not great at time-trialing, but neither is Bernal. Right now I see Ineos having an incredible strength but not the strongest rider, whichever one they choose from their roster. Unless Thomas is back to his best, one might just as well argue for Carapaz. But actually I suppose Ineos would be well off taking a multiple leader approach this time, because they should have plenty of guys who are able to stay within touch and put other teams under pressure. The way it looks right now they have to play their cards right, though.

I'd take Thomas and Bernal with every day of the week and twice on Sunday

and Bernal has a 34 year old back apparently, i just dont think carapaz has the highest ceiling of them Ineos guys but he sure is the most consistent, so in the end you probably go with Thomas,Bernal and Carapaz and see who has it because there is higher chance that something happens to Thomas than him having a smooth GT and who can realisticaly judge back pain - its one of those things that nobody knows why its happening

but then you end up with Carapaz against Pogacar so there is now always the possibility of him going absolutely mental and i doubt carapaz has that extra gear

So today's posts were first in this thread since...last autumn! Lol. Richie is looking very strong, Ineos has to start the Tour with at least 2 leaders (Carapaz, Thomas) but maybe even with 3 (Porte). Tao and the weakest from initial leaders will be super-domestiques.

Tao rode as a domestique in the Dauphine and still finished just behind the GC guys so I would not rule him out.

Tao rode as a domestique in the Dauphine and still finished just behind the GC guys so I would not rule him out.
It's hard to imagine a scenario where Tao will not be just a domestique. Probably the worse of the 4 uphill, and likely even in the TT. With a 30 km TT so early in the race, he'll likely be the first of the 4 to do work uphill if it's needed since he will stand the furthest in GC.

So today's posts were first in this thread since...last autumn! Lol. Richie is looking very strong, Ineos has to start the Tour with at least 2 leaders (Carapaz, Thomas) but maybe even with 3 (Porte). Tao and the weakest from initial leaders will be super-domestiques.
Not many Ecuadorians in this forum. LOL. This rider deserves more. It just proves that the sport is very nationalistic. I like Richie a lot and his attacking spirit. His attacks sometimes are un-expected. Maybe that's what we need at the Tour.

Carapaz and Porte strongest Ineos riders and we havent even included Adam Yates for awhile

How are they going to play it if Thomas is the leader and Tao th e 2nd in command

Imo you put Carapaz up the road whenever possible early and force the other teams to work, that way you can try save having to make an early choice on putting Thomas / Porte to work for one another and instead have them sitting on the Jumbo train. Use Tao to do the hard yards on some gap closing if needed in the early going.

If Poglic take off themselves after Carapaz you can chase them from behind as a unit (but if both don't go one team will try chase the other this year for you) and Richie can mess around with them up the road playing stop start or trying to counter and force inefficient efforts. Meanwhile if they do let him ride off, then it's possible he can win the race given enough freedom.

Yates is all in on the Vuelta I'm pretty sure.

Imo you put Carapaz up the road whenever possible early and force the other teams to work, that way you can try save having to make an early choice on putting Thomas / Porte to work for one another and instead have them sitting on the Jumbo train. Use Tao to do the hard yards on some gap closing if needed in the early going.

If Poglic take off themselves after Carapaz you can chase them from behind as a unit (but if both don't go one team will try chase the other this year for you) and Richie can mess around with them up the road playing stop start or trying to counter and force inefficient efforts. Meanwhile if they do let him ride off, then it's possible he can win the race given enough freedom.

Yates is all in on the Vuelta I'm pretty sure.
It's the best way to burn your strongest rider!
And then Thomas will gloriously out climb the two Slovenians...:rolleyes:

It's the best way to burn your strongest rider!
And then Thomas will gloriously out climb the two Slovenians...:rolleyes:

Love Richie, but I see no real reason to think he is going to actually be stronger than Thomas or Porte across the race as a whole.

Ineos cannot win a heads up vs Poglic so they have to either:
  1. Hope they suffer a mechanical or racing incident
  2. Exploit echelons or weather and force a big time loss somewhere with team strength.
  3. Pull off a big ambush that basically wins the race in 1 move
  4. Create multiple routes to victory so they have options to work with as the race evolves.
The latter is the most sensible plan of attack for the race as a whole, and the only person they have that can change the paradigm be being really aggressive and taking it to other teams is Richie.

TRENDING THREADS