• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Leinster said:
You wouldn’t say it with hindsight, but was Contador at the 07 Tour a bigger surprise than Carapaz would be in this Giro?

No. Maybe in the the Anglo-centric media he was but he'd won Paris Nice, Castille Leon and Basque Country (I think), while placing ahead of most of the favorites in what was a strange Dauphine that year in the lead up. Anyone who'd followed him since he turned pro had a pretty good idea that he was a future TdF winner. He and Schleck were the two biggest talents. The only surprise could be made was that he won it as early as he did.

Re:

Salvarani said:
I think Nibali will be able to drop Carapaz.

I think it all depends on how Carapaz can limit his losses when that happens, if he can still win.

Eventhough Nibali attacked today and it took quite a while for Carapaz to catch up, it didn't seem to me like Carapaz was in any trouble to be honest. He is in a very good form right now and I am confident that even if Nibali drops him he is not going to lose significant amount of time if at all. Maybe 10 seconds here and there, but not much more than that

https://mobile.twitter.com/inrng/status/1133319159918583808

Leaving Movistar for a team with "Famously deep pockets" apparently.....

team-ineos-white-on-black.jpg

It would take some spectacular bad luck (like we saw in recent Giros though, with Yates' implosion, Chaves falling ill, Kruijswijk crashing) for him to lose the race now.

Nibali doesn't look capable of gaining enough time in the remaining mountains, barring something crazy on stage 20 (which Movistar look strong enough to cope with). And then he lost under a minute to Nibali on the flat 22km in the San Marino TT. Doesn't suggest he's going to give up a ton on the 17km final TT with a hill/descent taking up half the course..

Tonton said:
To me, Carapaz is a second-tier GT rider, and he's smart. Un-heralded. Now he finds himself in a good situation. Chiappucci comes to mind. He can do it.
I agree with u. So far he has not been able to drop the top climbers on a long climb either last year or this years giro but he has been able to easily follow them. Coupled with a bad TT puts him in the top 5 category. He was already 3 min down on Roglic before the mountains. If there was Dumoulin, he would not have gained so much time. But you have to make most of your chances when they come and he has. He looked a little weak on the Motirolo. Nibali may gain 10-20 s in the 3 Mountain stages left which will not be enough to make up in the TT. Roglic will not drop him and 2 min is too much in the TT.
In a way Movistar are the Quickstep of the Mountains :D

Tonton said:
To me, Carapaz is a second-tier GT rider, and he's smart. Un-heralded. Now he finds himself in a good situation. Chiappucci comes to mind. He can do it.

This is how you become a first-tier GC rider, though. A victory here would show him exactly what he needs to do: Work within the team format, manage attacks, plan daily strategy as a leader. Even get teammates to clean your glasses for you (did anyone else catch that?). Surely he's one of the best climbers already, and if he can work on TT so it isn't a liability or even a net positive, then why couldn't he win the Tour someday?

Bolder said:
Tonton said:

This is how you become a first-tier GC rider, though. A victory here would show him exactly what he needs to do: Work within the team format, manage attacks, plan daily strategy as a leader. Even get teammates to clean your glasses for you (did anyone else catch that?). Surely he's one of the best climbers already, and if he can work on TT so it isn't a liability or even a net positive, then why couldn't he win the Tour someday?
Don't forget that he's got 3 minutes thanks to the gamble between Nibali and Roglic in Lago Serrú and Courmayeur. He will be taken more seriously in the future and will not able to get such an advantage.

IndianCyclist said:
Tonton said:
I agree with u. So far he has not been able to drop the top climbers on a long climb either last year or this years giro but he has been able to easily follow them. Coupled with a bad TT puts him in the top 5 category. He was already 3 min down on Roglic before the mountains. If there was Dumoulin, he would not have gained so much time. But you have to make most of your chances when they come and he has. He looked a little weak on the Motirolo. Nibali may gain 10-20 s in the 3 Mountain stages left which will not be enough to make up in the TT. Roglic will not drop him and 2 min is too much in the TT.
In a way Movistar are the Quickstep of the Mountains :D

You didn't watched San Carlo stage then...

I cheer for him. I have no problem with cheering for him.

Most of the Ecuadorians must develop their cycling skills in Colombia pretty much. After Carapaz success we might get an even bigger flow of Ecuadorians into the Colombian races. They should be similar in built type, although Richard looks a bit bulky for a climber.

Screecher said:
Nibali is fading and the only guy that could maybe challenge him is on the same team. Congrats on the win.
Let’s hope Carapez can develop another level again because in my opinion it’s a fairly weak GT with a lack of contenders and most of it soft pedaled except 1-2 stages and one attack by Vincenzo. Big attacks from Froome, Contador or riders who attack again and again like Contador used to would be a different ball game. In saying that he can only beat who is in the race , he has shown amazing maturity at 25 to handle the pressure with worrying about a 4 time GT champion going hard.

Scarponi said:
Screecher said:
Nibali is fading and the only guy that could maybe challenge him is on the same team. Congrats on the win.
Let’s hope Carapez can develop another level again because in my opinion it’s a fairly weak GT with a lack of contenders and most of it soft pedaled except 1-2 stages and one attack by Vincenzo. Big attacks from Froome, Contador or riders who attack again and again like Contador used to would be a different ball game. In saying that he can only beat who is in the race , he has shown amazing maturity at 25 to handle the pressure with worrying about a 4 time GT champion going hard.
Yeah, actually it's a bit of a misfortune for Carapaz that the Gavia got canceled. Since now people rightfully will label his Giro d'Italia victory as a weak edition like with Cunego in 2004.

staubsauger said:
Scarponi said:
Screecher said:
Yeah, actually it's a bit of a misfortune for Carapaz that the Gavia got canceled. Since now people rightfully will label his Giro d'Italia victory as a weak edition like with Cunego in 2004.
Ryder still has his soft pedaled giro

Scarponi said:
staubsauger said:
Scarponi said:
Screecher said:
Ryder still has his soft pedaled giro
A Giro d'Italia win is a Giro d'Italia win. The Gavia wouldn't have changed a thing regarding his victory IMHO. It only would've increased its value in a deserved degree!