• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Bernal's back does not respond to therapy then it will be Carapaz. Would Ineos designate Thomas as co-leader? Way too early to say. If Thomas does not impress in the run up then IMO Ineos should go all in for Carapaz with a powerful train and Ganna/DennisSivakov/Hart as domestiques, with Hart as the second GC option. I know that's a bit extreme but at the moment Carapaz, to me, is the most convincing GT threat. I think Hart was a one-off, to be honest. Happy to be wrong tho.

One-off or not, the only leader at Ineos who won big is TGH.
So I think he deserves to be the prime choice in whatever he would like.

If Bernal does the Giro, Carapaz should certainly be at least a co-leader at the Tour. Thomas and Porte are getting old and Sivakov needs to take another step up . I'm not completely sold on Hart either - this Giro was too much of an outlier to properly gauge his level compared to the likes of Pogacar and Roglic.

As of now, the only realistic candidates for a Tour win in their team aside from Bernal are Thomas and Carapaz. And we all know that for INEOS, only the overall win matters - so if Bernal does really do the Giro then the other two will almost certainly be leading the Tour team. And no way they will let Bernal completely skip the Tour either.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Carapaz was my pick to win the Vuelta (2020) early on, although I was happy to see Roglic gut it out for the win. I am impressed by Richard. He may be Ineos's best GC rider. A healthy Bernal might be the go-to pick for the TDF in 2021, but I don't know. Yes, I know G is still with Ineos, but he'll be 35 next year. Tao Geoghegan Hart had a breakthrough year, but an in-form Carapaz is better than an in-form Tao, I think. Maybe things evolve in another direction next year, who knows.

Great Vuelta for Richard, great battle till the end!

View: https://twitter.com/INEOSGrenadiers/status/1325484921033469958?s=20

EmTbKAWXEAEKIoc

EmT0YweWEAE3w18

He is really good, but not sure if he's gonna win another gt. While he is a very good climber I don't think he is a dominant one. He wasn't a dominant climber in the giro he won and he was actually outclimbed multiple times in this Vuelta. I'm just not confident there will be a gt where he climbs well enough to make up for the time he will usually lose in the TT's.
Let's not forget he only won the Giro because he got overlooked by two of his main rivals. That will never happen again

His preparation was kind of messed up. He was supposed to ride the Giro, but then was rushed to the Tour and had to find his form there. I don't think he was at his best during the Vuelta.

Hopefully he'll get another shot at the Giro next year, I'm pretty confident he will be an elite climber for a long time if he stays with Ineos.

His prep was fine. He knew he was gonna do the Vuelta like 10 weeks in advance.

He just had a *** team and the way the route and racing turned out wasn't very beneficial to him. Roglic was there for the taking, and I'm confident he wouldn't have been in the 2019 Vuelta. A lot depends on what the field of the Giro will look like next year. Seems to me like he's likely to be like 3rd/4th favorite.

He is really good, but not sure if he's gonna win another gt. While he is a very good climber I don't think he is a dominant one. He wasn't a dominant climber in the giro he won and he was actually outclimbed multiple times in this Vuelta. I'm just not confident there will be a gt where he climbs well enough to make up for the time he will usually lose in the TT's.
Let's not forget he only won the Giro because he got overlooked by two of his main rivals. That will never happen again

Hmmm, I'm not convinced. He got within 24s of winning this one as a top favourite (i.e. overlooked by no-one).
I think ultimately his skillset is very well-suited to a "normal" Giro route or a really hard Vuelta like this one. I don't see him winning a TdF but he's a fun guy to root for.

Very good result considering the Grennies lost two riders and had no pursuiters in their Vuelta roster to begin with...big contrast to their Giro team which included a couple of the greatest pursuiters ever (and of course TGH has some pursuit/team-pursuit experience himself). I think with a solid team behind him, Richie is a real contender for another GT win.

Last edited:
Very good result considering the Grennies lost two riders and had no pursuiters in their Vuelta roster to begin with...big contrast to their Giro team which included a couple of the greatest pursuiters ever (and of course TGH has some pursuit/team-pursuit experience himself). I think with a solid team behind him, Richie is a real contender for another GT win.

Well, he and Roglic are 1-1 in GTs in which they went head to head for the GC. As mentioned above, give him Ganna and Dennis and a few top climbers and I think he'd compete will in the Tour.

I don't know what to say about SpongeBob.

TRENDING THREADS