• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie makes his Clinic debut...

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
So it is possible that some cyclists are now on drugs that we the fans dont know much about

Yup. That's a bet I'd be only too pleased to foot for you.
Go ahead. My limit is €150.000.
Bordry's statement from 2009 re Hematide and AICAR (aminoimidazole carboxamide ribonucleotide) could serve as a starting-point.
Bet you hadn't heard of Hematide or AICAR before. Well, you're bound to hear a lot about it later. It's the new EPO.
http://aicar.co.uk/

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
hektoren said:
Oh, ye of little faith.....
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/plasticizers-test-moves-towards-validation
Told you so, didn't I? I said it was "imminent".

You must be outraged.

hektoren said:
The plasticizer DEHP is a dead end, as it might just as well stem from certain makes of plastic cling film, absorbed by fatty foods and entering his body. There's no 1:1 relationship between finding DEHP and having had a transfusion. DEHP is used in a wide range of soft PVC products ranging from lifesaving medical devices such as medical tubing and blood bags, to footwear, electrical cables, packaging, tarpaulins for lorries, flooring, stationery and roofing.

hektoren said:
No, it's not suspicious at all. He eats more cling-film food in training and in competition than the most of us. Besides, he likes to sniff new cables.
Whaddya mean, suspicious? There's no baseline study to compare to, no protocol, no agreed threshold, no standard, this is new territory, this is think of a number, any number, your guess is as good as mine-land. In short: This is a dead end. Deader than a dodo.

hektoren said:
Why anyone would want to test for plastic (in this case phtalates) is beyond me. The test finds phtalates, so what? Most westerners have them in their body anyway, as we're surrounded by them all year round. Look closely enough, and you've got them as well. Does that mean you've blood-doped? Of course not! You might've sucked a traffic cone, gotten new shoes you're so proud of you keep them on your nightstand and inhale their clean new smell through the night, you've bought imported fatty food from China wrapped in PVC coated with it, had a child's plastic duck in your mouth while you waited for the water to get the right temperature, you might've repainted your dwellings with that new water-based paint, etc. etc. The permutations are endless and you'll never get a a case based on DEHP to stand up in court. Lawyers would love sinking their teeth into an arbitration case based solely on suspicion and the DEHP-test.
The DEHP-test is a dead end.

hektoren said:
Oh- come on! As long as there's no protocol for this kind of tests (it's a bit like experimental treatment in medicine; might be good for you, but might make your exit from this world of worlds a spectacularly ugly one too),
I can think of any number of reasons why the scientists behind this particular test wants to plug it, but as long it's not peer-reviewed, checked and double-checked by independent sources, it should be treated as raw sewage. Pinch your nose and don't get too close.

hektoren said:
Give it up. I know. It hurts, having invested so much of yourself in hatred for such a petty cause. But this thing won't fly. No way.