Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 121 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

  • He will only manage the double

    Votes: 5 100.0%

  • Total voters
    5
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
yaco said:
Porte should be riding the Giro - It's the most predictable in terms of route for any of the 3 GT's which best suit his characteristics.
I think you make a good point but the marquee GT rider for each team usually does the biggest race in the world : the Tour. But it sounds like BMC won't be around for much longer unless they find some sponsors so all the talk about the future may be academic. Porte probably only has two more shots at the Tour and if BMC don't continue, which teams would pay Porte or TJVG ? GVA would be much easier to place. Or would Richie go and ride for Aru or Dumoulin ? No doubt about him as a quality domestique and he would probably still be given opportunities in shorter races but like Evans, Richie has the Tour fever at least for the short term. The difference is that Evans came close twice before and he and his team were always confident he could win it. Even the BMC management now is saying that are aiming for the podium. The past two years they said they were aiming for the win !
Porte will feel his career is satisfied if he podium's at the TDF - Break it down into pure talent and he has enough podium - He needs to select the correct support team to achieve his goals - Reckon TVG will have a better season now that he's bitten the bullet and moved his family to Europe - Can win one of the lead up stage races before the Giro or the TDF - He will be widely sought at the end of 2018.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
movingtarget said:
yaco said:
Porte should be riding the Giro - It's the most predictable in terms of route for any of the 3 GT's which best suit his characteristics.
I think you make a good point but the marquee GT rider for each team usually does the biggest race in the world : the Tour. But it sounds like BMC won't be around for much longer unless they find some sponsors so all the talk about the future may be academic. Porte probably only has two more shots at the Tour and if BMC don't continue, which teams would pay Porte or TJVG ? GVA would be much easier to place. Or would Richie go and ride for Aru or Dumoulin ? No doubt about him as a quality domestique and he would probably still be given opportunities in shorter races but like Evans, Richie has the Tour fever at least for the short term. The difference is that Evans came close twice before and he and his team were always confident he could win it. Even the BMC management now is saying that are aiming for the podium. The past two years they said they were aiming for the win !
Porte will feel his career is satisfied if he podium's at the TDF - Break it down into pure talent and he has enough podium - He needs to select the correct support team to achieve his goals - Reckon TVG will have a better season now that he's bitten the bullet and moved his family to Europe - Can win one of the lead up stage races before the Giro or the TDF - He will be widely sought at the end of 2018.
Would be good to see TJVG perform. I was happy for him to win a stage of the Giro. If he rides to his ability, no problem. Hopefully last season's stage win and his family relocating will give him a boost.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
swuzzlebubble said:
^ Sounding like DP there, Yaco :)
It will be interesting to see what Sunweb do with Matthews if Dumoulin rides the TDF - I think you can ride for GC and chase the green jersey, though my suspicion is Sunweb will send Matthews to the Giro - Let's wait and see.
If the sprinter ranks are thin at the Giro as they sometimes are then Matthews has a chance for a jersey. Gaviria might do the Tour.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
yaco said:
swuzzlebubble said:
^ Sounding like DP there, Yaco :)
It will be interesting to see what Sunweb do with Matthews if Dumoulin rides the TDF - I think you can ride for GC and chase the green jersey, though my suspicion is Sunweb will send Matthews to the Giro - Let's wait and see.
If the sprinter ranks are thin at the Giro as they sometimes are then Matthews has a chance for a jersey. Gaviria might do the Tour.
Gaviria is riding the TDF, hence Kittel's decision to leave.
 
Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
movingtarget said:
I have to admit I am in two minds about Tejay going to the Tour to support Richie. I think he would be motivated more by doing what he did in the Giro last year. Ride for GC and if the wheels fall off, look for a stage win. TJVG doesn't usually last long on the MTFs anymore not with the best riders so he would only be selected for the TTT and maybe medium mountain stages. I think I would rather see a domestique in his place who will give 100% for the team even if it's on the flat stages and medium ones. Tejay seems to do better when he has his own objectives. BMC don't have a good mountain squad and including Tejay isn't going to improve that and with only eight riders now I'm not sure TJVG is the answer for three weeks of solid team support.
If his problem is more mental then he can improve in the mountains and be a good domestique for Porte IMHO.
TeJay is a Julich clone, who was strong enough to be a superdom for Basso at CSC after his early TDF podium.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Re: Re:

yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:
I just can't see GVA out of the Tour team, as he is their best chance to win a stage (and some of them are really good for him).
GVA has won 2 stages in 5 appearances at the TDF - Far too many resources are allocated to help him for little results.
What has Porte won in his time with BMC?
 
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:
I just can't see GVA out of the Tour team, as he is their best chance to win a stage (and some of them are really good for him).
GVA has won 2 stages in 5 appearances at the TDF - Far too many resources are allocated to help him for little results.
What has Porte won in his time with BMC?
TDU and Tour de Romandie and a Stage in Paris-Nice in 2017 is about all that I can find.
 
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
yaco said:
Alexandre B. said:
I just can't see GVA out of the Tour team, as he is their best chance to win a stage (and some of them are really good for him).
GVA has won 2 stages in 5 appearances at the TDF - Far too many resources are allocated to help him for little results.
What has Porte won in his time with BMC?
You give your GC rider the best possible support in the TDF - GVA adds little support and is hardly a consistent stage winner at the TDF.
 
Yeah, lets send 7 domestiques to help Richie Porte crash out on the cobbles. Lmao.

Of course Greg should be on the team, there can't seriously be any doubt about that (as long he wants to go himself). There are a few very good stages for him and the guy has won 2 stages in the last 3 years.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, lets send 7 domestiques to help Richie Porte crash out on the cobbles. Lmao.

Of course Greg should be on the team, there can't seriously be any doubt about that (as long he wants to go himself). There are a few very good stages for him and the guy has won 2 stages in the last 3 years.
Valverde might stay upright in the ITT of course.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, lets send 7 domestiques to help Richie Porte crash out on the cobbles. Lmao.

Of course Greg should be on the team, there can't seriously be any doubt about that (as long he wants to go himself). There are a few very good stages for him and the guy has won 2 stages in the last 3 years.
Valverde might stay upright in the ITT of course.
There's simply too much risk to put all your eggs in ONE basket when we are talking about Richie Porte - he has proven that over and over again. You don't necessarily have to support Greg, either, and he can be an amazing asset on the cobbled stage. You also have to consider the whole contract negotiation - snubbing your best rider over the last 6 years like that won't make him happy. Gotta show some respect.
 
It's not like BMC has a luxury problem in the GTs. Ofcourse Porte is gonna ride for the GC, and ofcourse he needs support, but BMC almost certainly won't have to control the race, so it's not far fetched at all to have riders support Porte when they're in the peloton but still get their own chances to hunt for stages on days that suit them.

Van Avermaet can win stages. Van Garderen positively surprised me in the Giro last year. He can do that in the Tour too.
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
0
0
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, lets send 7 domestiques to help Richie Porte crash out on the cobbles. Lmao.

Of course Greg should be on the team, there can't seriously be any doubt about that (as long he wants to go himself). There are a few very good stages for him and the guy has won 2 stages in the last 3 years.
Valverde might stay upright in the ITT of course.
There's simply too much risk to put all your eggs in ONE basket when we are talking about Richie Porte - he has proven that over and over again. You don't necessarily have to support Greg, either, and he can be an amazing asset on the cobbled stage. You also have to consider the whole contract negotiation - snubbing your best rider over the last 6 years like that won't make him happy. Gotta show some respect.
but GVA won't babysitting porte in the cobbled stage. he will fight for the win
 
May 13, 2015
2,101
0
0
Of course he has to show up in the in Itzulia and ruin the chances of a potentia Teuns podium.

Now Dylan is forced to ride for the great manlet.
 
Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
Valv.Piti said:
movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, lets send 7 domestiques to help Richie Porte crash out on the cobbles. Lmao.

Of course Greg should be on the team, there can't seriously be any doubt about that (as long he wants to go himself). There are a few very good stages for him and the guy has won 2 stages in the last 3 years.
Valverde might stay upright in the ITT of course.
There's simply too much risk to put all your eggs in ONE basket when we are talking about Richie Porte - he has proven that over and over again. You don't necessarily have to support Greg, either, and he can be an amazing asset on the cobbled stage. You also have to consider the whole contract negotiation - snubbing your best rider over the last 6 years like that won't make him happy. Gotta show some respect.
but GVA won't babysitting porte in the cobbled stage. he will fight for the win
After BMC does everything for GvA in the classics you don't think they will have Porte's GC as their priority over a single stage? Ofcourse GvA can go for stages in the Tour, but not the expense of the GC of Porte. In the cobbled stage he will need to support him.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY