• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
TANK91 said:
Because people said Sky were stupid what if Froome crashes they have no 2nd option? When clearly they do. You telling me Wiggins is a better climber than Porte?. Porte's problem was inconsisteny if he is like last year's climbing form then lookout. Im sure you'd agree Porte on AX-3 last year was impressive as anything Wiggins as ever done uphill, im sure Porte finshed 3rd after doing most of work, he even beat Kreuizger and Contador on AX-3 he was insane

Porte actually got second, so even more impressive than you thought.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Decent performance from Porte,but he's no Froome unfortunatelly,so he'll only get the 3rd place this year.Good start for his future GT wins:D

TANK91 said:
Because people said Sky were stupid what if Froome crashes they have no 2nd option? When clearly they do. You telling me Wiggins is a better climber than Porte?. Porte's problem was inconsisteny if he is like last year's climbing form then lookout. Im sure you'd agree Porte on AX-3 last year was impressive as anything Wiggins as ever done uphill, im sure Porte finshed 3rd after doing most of work, he even beat Kreuizger and Contador on AX-3 he was insane

No. Wiggins deserves to be at the Tour because he is better than a lot of riders that Sky have taken. Wiggins fans are ****ed off that because he is not liked by Froome he didnt get to go. Wiggins even said before the Tour that he would be very happy to work for Porte as a dom.

When did I say Wiggins is a better climber than Porte?

darwin553 said:
He would have a chance to make the podium even if he didn't hold Contador's wheel. 2013 Porte unhitched from helping Froome would wipe the floor with Contador if he were in the same form and condition as he was last year. But sadly for the 1% on here that support Porte he isn't ;)

Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Ripper said:
Wut? WTF?

It was pretty close between the two, and that wasn't even Richie's kind of stage. There's no way he doesn't put some time into Nibali on some of the climbs to come. Just too good. Richie is strong, there's a Froome in there somewhere waiting to come out.

SeriousSam said:
It was pretty close between the two, and that wasn't even Richie's kind of stage. There's no way he doesn't put some time into Nibali on some of the climbs to come. Just too good. Richie is strong, there's a Froome in there somewhere waiting to come out.

If we take today's stage into consideration he was pretty close to Contador too. Do you think he can even put time in to Contador or he just needs to defend since he's above Bertie?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
i vote none. He can win one GT, depending if there's no quintana, contador, nibali, froome, purito on the list of any GT he participates. And of course if there longer ITT like 2012 TDF with less of mountain top finish.

Rollthedice said:
If we take today's stage into consideration he was pretty close to Contador too. Do you think he can even put time in to Contador or he just needs to defend since he's above Bertie?

He will need to improve. Today was only a short climb but it showed he is a little behind AC and Nibali - but not very much. What is good for Porte is that he gapped all other contenders including notably Valverde who today's climb should have suited. So a podium looks a strong possibility if he does not have a bad day. Anyhow Contador and Nibali did not look super human to me but it's early days.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I don’t think I need to be on the attack. Alberto is the one. He’s got to take a lot of time in Vincenzo. That’s good for me, because the other guys have to be playing catch-up,” Porte said. “Not having Chris here, it’s not great, but we are looked at less in the race to control things. Movistar, Saxo, and Astana, they’re the ones with the pressure. It’s a bit strange for Sky to take the back seat, not take on the race on so much.”

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...deren-bounces-back_335879#TSK7A2icJHtUdHKP.99