• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
Porte can podium at the 2017 TDF if he TT's better - Yes, he bad luck at the beginning of the 2016 TDF, but ultimately his two TT's were disappointing by his standards - Get this right and a podium is waiting.

Teejay should target the Giro - Lot's of TT km's suit his characteristics and then its a matter of performing solidly in the mountains.

I don't think Porte's TT's at the Tour were disappointing at all as his TT ability is a little overrated if you look at his results of late, outside of the 2015 Col d'Eze TT at P-N and his nationals win (I don't really rate the Aus Nationals TT as they are at the start of the season) he hasn't performed with any consistency since 2013. His climbing improved in this same period so it's the trade off that his TT has dropped down a peg or 3.

As to TJvG going to the Giro, he can try that but I doubt he'll do any better in the Giro mountains

TJVG really has to get his career back on track. He is still young. He will have to do something more impressive next season but in what capacity and which races, I don't know. Porte has always been capable in the TT but he is a bit inconsistent. The first TT in the Tour was very windy and little guys like himself and Quintana had a bad time of it but he has to do well in the TTs to have any chance of a podium. The TT in Paris Nice is a good one for him but the Tour TTs are much different and longer.

I woulddefinitely send TJ to the Giro with no pressure ...Pressure seems to be his downfall
Let him ride fro stages or GC or whatever to find his mojo

And then in reply TJ can come to the Tour and focus on Porte

There is no other route for TJ ...he has ot help Porte at the Tour

I think Porte can definitly podium and if Froome has bad luck who know because as the man says everything seems impossible till its done...

Re:

HelloDolly said:
I woulddefinitely send TJ to the Giro with no pressure ...Pressure seems to be his downfall

I think Porte can definitly podium and if Froome has bad luck who know because as the man says everything seems impossible till its done...
Some riders have some fixation on the Tour for some reason. He is one of them. He should have gone to the Giro before. And I agree with you that he should go to the Giro next year with no pressure.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

Escarabajo said:
HelloDolly said:

Some riders have some fixation on the Tour for some reason. He is one of them. He should have gone to the Giro before. And I agree with you that he should go to the Giro next year with no pressure.

Giro can be really brutal with the inclement early season weather.
I think Richie has a better shot at the Tour than the Giro given his history of health issues.

Lupi33x said:
Escarabajo said:
HelloDolly said:

I think Richie has a better shot at the Tour than the Giro given his history of health issues.

I think he was writing about TJVG going to the Giro.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Lupi33x said:
Escarabajo said:
HelloDolly said:

I think he was writing about TJVG going to the Giro.

ah, I knew HD was, not sure about the reply :cool:

Re:

Jancouver said:
My favorite thread just popped up. Should I comment on my favorite midget or did I already wasted enough time talking about tlmrp? :cool:

quote-Voltaire-all-styles-are-good-except-the-tiresome-1046.png

Jancouver said:
First of all, I don't have any problems with TLMRP.

I just see (any GT) top 5 or even top 10 as very unrealistic expectations.

I think the chances are about the same as expecting Alberto Contador to finish Top 5 in Paris-Roubaix

let´s see if this year he can do better than top 5 at the Tour as in 2016. you´ll love that

pastronef said:
Jancouver said:
First of all, I don't have any problems with TLMRP.

I just see (any GT) top 5 or even top 10 as very unrealistic expectations.

I think the chances are about the same as expecting Alberto Contador to finish Top 5 in Paris-Roubaix

let´s see if this year he can do better than top 5 at the Tour as in 2016. you´ll love that

I bet that Tour puncture was much cause for cheering with some people. It seems even winning the TDU is even impossible to contemplate for some ! It amuses me how people get so involved in cheering for others to fail or at least not succeed. Such is human nature. Anyway it's January and it seems not much has changed on CyclingNews !

excerpt from cyclingnews interview
"People say I was lighter this year, but I wasn’t. The scales don’t lie, and in 2015 I was a kilo lighter than I was this year. I don’t really weigh myself too much, but obviously if you look at pictures of myself from my neo-pro years I’ve lost weight, but that comes with learning how about your body and how to diet. I’m good at that now. I’m still a good two kilos off my Tour weight. I think I rode it last year at around 58 kilos, so there’s still a bit more to come off.”
Wikipedia says 62 kgs whereas the reality is that he is much lighter. Maybe the others are also 3-5 kgs lighter compared to wiki weight

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Irondan said:
LRP was supposed to compete for the yellow at PN but instead he let Michael Matthews beat him in a TT that suited LRP perfectly, what's going on with him? Apparently he's not on as good form as he thought he was... :eek:

You cant really be comparing his TdU form with his current form.

The TdU is a mandatory fun ride and most of these guys did not ride there and therefore, the level of competition should not even be compared.

So perhaps, his TdU form was similar but the competition just wasn’t there.