• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 94 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Jancouver said:
Irondan said:
LRP was supposed to compete for the yellow at PN but instead he let Michael Matthews beat him in a TT that suited LRP perfectly, what's going on with him? Apparently he's not on as good form as he thought he was... :eek:

You cant really be comparing his TdU form with his current form.

The TdU is a mandatory fun ride and most of these guys did not ride there and therefore, the level of competition should not even be compared.

So perhaps, his TdU form was similar but the competition just wasn’t there.
I wasn't comparing his form to the Tdu, I was just under the impression that PN was a big goal for him this year, along with the TDF. My belief is that BMC is where riders go to get fat and happy, with the odd exceptions like GVA winning regularly. RP's performance so far in PN supports my far flung theory... :)

Re:

Irondan said:
LRP was supposed to compete for the yellow at PN but instead he let Michael Matthews beat him in a TT that suited LRP perfectly, what's going on with him? Apparently he's not on as good form as he thought he was... :eek:

He didn't win last year either.His target is in July everything else is a bonus.Winning or not this races won't stop people bashing him anyway.His only target should be GT's now,he won enough of this one week races.
If i remember right he didn't win any race last year,so this year he's already better :D

DBotero said:
Irondan said:

He didn't win last year either.His target is in July everything else is a bonus.Winning or not this races won't stop people bashing him anyway.His only target should be GT's now,he won enough of this one week races.
If i remember right he didn't win any race last year,so this year he's already better :D
I'm not bashing him, I'm a fan of RP. I also know that his main goal of the year is TDF, but PN was supposed to be a goal along the way to July, at least that's what I read anyway. I may be worried for nothing but RP is the best chance that we have to dethrone CF, I was hoping his form was further along.

Irondan said:
DBotero said:
Irondan said:

I'm not bashing him, I'm a fan of RP. I also know that his main goal of the year is TDF, but PN was supposed to be a goal along the way to July, at least that's what I read anyway. I may be worried for nothing but RP is the best chance that we have to dethrone CF, I was hoping his form was further along.

Don't know but judging by last year maybe the flying under the radar approach is better for him.I agree that he seems to be the only rider able to challenge Froome in TDF.

Irondan said:
Jancouver said:
Irondan said:

The TdU is a mandatory fun ride and most of these guys did not ride there and therefore, the level of competition should not even be compared.

I wasn't comparing his form to the Tdu, I was just under the impression that PN was a big goal for him this year, along with the TDF. My belief is that BMC is where riders go to get fat and happy, with the odd exceptions like GVA winning regularly. RP's performance so far in PN supports my far flung theory... :)

BMC haven't been the that big paycheck retirement home team for a few seasons now ;)

LRP was poor in the first couple of stages and a rider like him shouldn't be getting caught out like that. He wasn't bad at all in the TT, he didn't go all out in the first part but was one of the fastest up the final climb so I'm curious to see if he goes for a stage over the next few stages.

StryderHells said:
Irondan said:
Jancouver said:
Irondan said:

BMC haven't been the that big paycheck retirement home team for a few seasons now ;)

LRP was poor in the first couple of stages and a rider like him shouldn't be getting caught out like that. He wasn't bad at all in the TT, he didn't go all out in the first part but was one of the fastest up the final climb so I'm curious to see if he goes for a stage over the next few stages.

It was more like a team failure though.They kinda acknowledged it but put it on Schar loss and the too mountain heavy biased team.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/portes-paris-nice-dreams-over-after-a-second-day-of-time-losses/

Porte was fastest on the climb today ....I said he would win on Saturday and COULD on the TT

Alot of big guys did well today on TT while alot of the smaller climbers I think are knackered after 2 days fighting in the cross winds

Porte was not good in the bad weather as its his first race since TDU ...needs time to aclimatise and get racing back in his legs

But he is still climbing well and that is what he needs to do to do well in the Tour ...everyone is writing him off too soon ....

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Porte was fastest on the climb today ....I said he would win on Saturday and COULD on the TT

Alot of big guys did well today on TT while alot of the smaller climbers I think are knackered after 2 days fighting in the cross winds

Porte was not good in the bad weather as its his first race since TDU ...needs time to aclimatise and get racing back in his legs

But he is still climbing well and that is what he needs to do to do well in the Tour ...everyone is writing him off too soon ....

The mountain stage was always his target I think especially after he dropped time but his TT performances of late have been a bit muddling. Very weird for him to be beaten by Matthews in a TT but Matthews will be aiming for the classics in the next few weeks and will have to be getting near his best form. Maybe Matthews really wanted to test himself while Porte wasn't very motivated, who knows ? But it's March and as usual some people have already written off Porte's season.

DBotero said:
Irondan said:

He's not Chris Froome or Alberto Contador. Of course week long stage race victories are a big deal for a rider like Porte, as they are for almost every rider. They matter to his team as well.

spiritualride said:
DBotero said:
Irondan said:

He's not Chris Froome or Alberto Contador. Of course week long stage race victories are a big deal for a rider like Porte, as they are for almost every rider. They matter to his team as well.

That's true of course as he was a two time winner of the Paris Nice already but I would still like to see him start the season later next year and give the TDU a miss. He has nothing more to prove there. But obviously the race comes at the right time for him if he wants to compete in the Australian Road Titles. I still think he can do well in the remaining stages of PN.

Seems I have to read the Contador thread to see what the forum thinks of how well Porte rode today :Question: . Richie is knocking on the door again. Looking good for a podium in July. Climbing is his strength but TT and flat, windy stages is the *** in his armour.
Porte needs to work on his TT which was once his strength when he first burst on the scene and BMC need to do a better job protecting LRP in the echelons.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Cookster15 said:
Seems I have to read the Contador thread to see what the forum thinks of how well Porte rode today :Question: . Richie is knocking on the door again. Looking good for a podium in July. Climbing is his strength but TT and flat, windy stages is the *** in his armour.
Porte needs to work on his TT which was once his strength when he first burst on the scene and BMC need to do a better job protecting LRP in the echelons.
The thing is that after Paris-Nice he probably should calm down a bit, otherwise he could end up in a similar situation like in 2015, flying and winning races from TdU onwards only to fall apart during the gt that he's targeting.
If you're flying from TdU until the start of July (with such a low weight) the big risk is that you won't be able to hold your form durning the TdF.

Re:

Cookster15 said:

There is not much to say as people were expected him to win this stage.All he needs is to stay healthy and in July he'll be up there with Froome on the climbs.His focus should be only there and take it easier on the rest of the races.

Re:

Cookster15 said:

He said he is on a new TT bike so he will be doing plenty of TT work you would think but I do agree that in extreme weather he seems to struggle but the team also have to help him with that. That's not so unusual though as Valverde always struggled in really cold weather as did other good riders. Echelon riding is a skill and he is not stranger to it but BMC got caught out badly when he was isolated early in the race. I'm sure the DS had plenty to say about it.

Richie:

"It wasn't easy to line up on Tuesday morning after the disaster and it was a shame to throw it away like that. At the end of the day it keeps me hungrier and it's only March. The big goal for me is obviously July."

Incredible level of climbing: @faustocoppi60
Richie Porte on Couillole: ∼6.3 w/kg. Effort around 41 minutes.

"I learnt from the last Tour de France that it's never finished and that as disastrous as it seems, there's always a chance to bounce back and do great things. That's what happened yesterday. I heard some people say that they let me go away in the last climb but I sincerely don't think that was the case. I have the impression I'm as good a climber as anyone else in that climb yesterday. Yesterday was certainly a good step in my overall preparation for July. Things changed since I left Team Sky. With Team Sky, it was more a matter of winning every race we entered. It's a more relaxed atmosphere at BMC and it suits me too." ->letour.fr
I think he's talking about Contador there :D

With GVA and maybe Schar back and another strong rouler like Oss, Richie will be protected at the Tour
But BMC have to all ride for Richie

Then with Caruao, SAMU, Hermans, De Marchi (though I would bring TJ if he played ball...BMC could rest him in first weeks and keep him and Hermans for the final week as SKY & Tinkoff have done in the past ) and Roche ...that should be Richies team at the Tour....and it is strong enough to put him in a good position on any stage