• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 96 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Monster performance, but the fact that he has been flying since the Tour Down could be a problem, he has been flying since January and I could see him running out of steam durning the 2nd half of the Tour.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Monster performance, but the fact that he has been flying since the Tour Down could be a problem, he has been flying since January and I could see him running out of steam durning the 2nd half of the Tour.

He hasnt ridden that much and has rested alot between races...not a problem imo

The issue for Porte is sickness or a disaster in crosswinds or on the flat stages at the Tour ...

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
Mayomaniac said:

He hasnt ridden that much and has rested alot between races...not a problem imo

The issue for Porte is sickness or a disaster in crosswinds or on the flat stages at the Tour ...
That's true, always around 40 days of rest between the various stage races.

LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:
I will lol at the shitstorm that would be created if Quintana gets a podium spot over Contador, with Porte winning.
Why would it create a shitstorm? I don't get it.

Great performance by Richie today, just like yesterday. Definitely looking good for the Tour. Will he race the Dauphiné?

It's rather obvious. Think about it for some time and you'll get the answer.

Porte looking great for the TdF. Just needs to keep it together to July. Today was the first genuinely strong TT from him for a while in recent years I was beginning to think his TT had suffered at the hands of his climbing, although the first half of the course suited him. Porte has now shown he has all the attributes plus finally showed last year he can also have the recovery to ride strong for three weeks.

Re:

Cookster15 said:
Porte looking great for the TdF. Just needs to keep it together to July. Today was the first genuinely strong TT from him for a while in recent years I was beginning to think his TT had suffered at the hands of his climbing, although the first half of the course suited him. Porte has now shown he has all the attributes plus finally showed last year he can also have the recovery to ride strong for three weeks.

The right attributes as regards climbing ability plus TT & last year the recovery. The remaining question is one that no one has yet posed; does he have the necessary race smarts and capacity to make the right decisions under pressure ? How much of last years stage 2 issue was down to him is open to question but the 2015 Giro/tyre swap with Clarke does pose the question.

dirkprovin said:
Cookster15 said:

The right attributes as regards climbing ability plus TT & last year the recovery. The remaining question is one that no one has yet posed; does he have the necessary race smarts and capacity to make the right decisions under pressure ? How much of last years stage 2 issue was down to him is open to question but the 2015 Giro/tyre swap with Clarke does pose the question.

The team have to take some blame for that. They know the rules and they have radio contact. Clarke and Porte had their mind on the moment. The puncture was just incredibly bad timing, can happen to anyone.

movingtarget said:
dirkprovin said:
Cookster15 said:

The team have to take some blame for that. They know the rules and they have radio contact. Clarke and Porte had their mind on the moment. The puncture was just incredibly bad timing, can happen to anyone.

Yes, it was a heat of the moment call but he still went to the wrong side of the road to get service from his team car or even to be seen by team mates/team car/neutral service. A mistake forgivable in a first year pro at that level but for someone with his experience ? Does suggest a minimum that he's susceptible to panic under pressure

dirkprovin said:
movingtarget said:
dirkprovin said:
Cookster15 said:

Yes, it was a heat of the moment call but he still went to the wrong side of the road to get service from his team car or even to be seen by team mates/team car/neutral service. A mistake forgivable in a first year pro at that level but for someone with his experience ? Does suggest a minimum that he's susceptible to panic under pressure

Look back to the begining of the year and Richie said that one of the reasons he wanted Nicolas Roche with him was because Roche did not panic under pressure, brought a sense of calm to Porte and read a race very well ...He said he needed that sense of assurance and calm from a road captain who would be by his side in case of emergencies. Roche is with him constantly in training and helps with his confidence ...

Porte has the physical ability... Luck and confidence have being missing. But as everyone knows its your mind that needs to be in top shape as well. Who your surround yourself with and how you react to pressure is just as important as having someone on the moutain.

Astana's account of how Scarponi brought calm and light relief to Nibali last year during the Giro is telling and probably did more for Nibali than what Scarponi did on the climbs (though that was great too)

Porte needs Van Garderen to help in the Tour and GVA as well .....these two will help if riding for Porte on the moutains and on the rolling terraine . IF BMC are 100% behind Porte they will command these 2 to ride for Porte...TJ can rest in the first week and be kept for the 3rd week like SKY do with riders they have who ride the Giro probably like Thomas this year . Everyone needs to be behind Porte for him to ahve a good chance to beat Froome, Contador & the others

Hermans probably because he rode the Giro. I'd expect one of Samu or Bookwalter to also ride (though they might have later season goals where they will be leader). For TJVG it's a pity but i'd prefer for him to ride well in the American races to rediscover confidence.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Porte discussing his core team for the Tour mentions Roche, Caruso, Wyss, de Marchi & GVA

no mention of van Garderen, SAMU, Hermans, Brookwalter

No TJVG is a good thing. Too unreliable. Samuel will lead BMC at the Vuelta, his last GT I think. Bookwalter will probably be there, a very good domestique. The way TJVG has been climbing lately he will offer little help on the stages where Porte needs him. Caruso and Roche will be better. Caruso was very good in the Tour last year while TJVG wasn't even getting to the final climb with the favorites. TJVG and Dennis will probably ride for Samuel in the Vuelta and maybe look for stage win. I don't know if Quinziato will back up after the Giro but he is very good on the flat and intermediate stages.

Caruso and Roche are going to the Vuelta and probably want to share leadership..if they help Richie well I think they will get the nod...keep them sweet before a rider who is leaving ...not to say Sanchez wont get a free role ...but TJ ..can't see it

Dennis should ride the Tour if he is ok....can help Porte and win stages in TT

Telling from Porte's interview that there are riders he doesn't want with him at the Tour ....i can only imagine who he means...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts