• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Rumour is that Kennaugh has been given leadership in Pais Vasco to test his leadership skills with the Giro in mind if Porte doesn't make it. Porte can then support Froome in the Tour before going for the Vuelta.

GJB123 said:
And AC had a win in San luis last year. So your point is?

You were comparing Froome this year to Contador last year. Froome won Oman last year and followed that up this time. Not like he is struggling like you could clearly see Contador was last year. The GC riders in Oman were decent competition too. We won't know for sure until the Dauphine in a couple of months.

Pricey_sky said:
You were comparing Froome this year to Contador last year. Froome won Oman last year and followed that up this time. Not like he is struggling like you could clearly see Contador was last year. The GC riders in Oman were decent competition too. We won't know for sure until the Dauphine in a couple of months.

Which is again something we were saying about Contador last year :p I'm sure Froome is fine and will be ripping the roads of France in no time. I am a bit surprised they aren't having him race Pais Vasco after missing T-A, but I guess the Borg knows what is best for the Borg :D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:

I think we will know after Romandie,its quite possible that Quintana will race,and he is at similar level like Alberto,so.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
no_slipstream said:
Has to win 1 grand tour, before a double or treble.

Will do none of the above, over rated as anyone in world sport right now.

Too inconsistent, and just like Frank Schleck before his ban, prone to a bad

day in the mountains.

Get a sense of humor dude. Life's too short

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
I think we will know after Romandie,its quite possible that Quintana will race,and he is at similar level like Alberto,so.

i hope quintana rides romandie. I like to see him crush froome :D

b.broadhurst said:
So Giro will look like this:

Cataldo Deignan Lopez Sivtsov Knees Puccio Swift Pate Zandio

then Tour:

Froome Porte Wiggins Nieve Kennaugh Thomas EBH Kiryienka Eisel

may Sebastian Henao for the Giro, instead of?
I'm looking forward to Deignan

strong squad for the Tour, Eisel would be back after last year non selection.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
pastronef said:

Was foreseeable. Sky has only one priority : LE TOUR. when it looked like Froome was 2 legs above the others, sure telling Porte you can do the Giro worked. But with a hardening opposition, plus a fair bit of headwind for the Sky team, better to stack the deck on the tour. Makes sense from Sky's business end.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
If Sky are abandoning their Giro GC ambitions, they ought to bring Dombrowski and let him ride a partial Giro to gain experience, and bring some stage hunters and try to animate the race a bit instead of worrying about GC.

b.broadhurst said:
So Giro will look like this:

Cataldo Deignan Lopez Sivtsov Knees Puccio Swift Pate Zandio

then Tour:

Froome Porte Wiggins Nieve Kennaugh Thomas EBH Kiryienka Eisel

I've seen a lot of people say EBH is riding the Giro this year and not the Tour. Of course plans can change but it would make sense to give him some freedom to chase stages at the Giro. They have enough guys that can do Edvald's Tour job anyway.

Beech Mtn said:
If Sky are abandoning their Giro GC ambitions, they ought to bring Dombrowski and let him ride a partial Giro to gain experience, and bring some stage hunters and try to animate the race a bit instead of worrying about GC.

The same Dombrowski who has completed just one race day this season and can't get over his knee problems? Probably not the best idea to send him to the Giro. ;)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Gotta admit, I'm a little disappointed. I was looking forward to seeing Quintana kicking Porte's a$$ all over the mountains of Italy. :p

No, but seriously, too bad. A TTer like Porte vs. climbers like Nairo and Purito would have given us some good action.

TRENDING THREADS