• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Forunculo said:
The problem today is the first high mountain stage;)

Of course,but he was very impressive on the cobbles which for me was the biggest surprise and he was decent at Gérardmer La Mauselaine and La Planche des Belles Filles.I think this results were above expectations anyway.

burgyv said:
Knaven already mentioned Nieve as the man for plan c because he is in a verry good conditions (also was plan b in Dauphine). Nieve waiting on Porte is the only mistake Brailsford made, but I will say that it is a big one.

Maybe they didnt realise at first how much time Porte was going to lose (although he was dropped early on). Shame Thomas (and the rest of Sky) had already been dropped, otherwise they may have just let Thomas pace Porte while Nieve tried his luck up front. Think Nieve could have a go in the break tomorrow now he has lost time.

Frosty said:
Maybe they didnt realise at first how much time Porte was going to lose (although he was dropped early on). Shame Thomas (and the rest of Sky) had already been dropped, otherwise they may have just let Thomas pace Porte while Nieve tried his luck up front. Think Nieve could have a go in the break tomorrow now he has lost time.

Nieve was already 6 minutes down before today. At best he might have snuck inside the top 10 at the end of the Tour if he'd been allowed to ride for himself. Probably not though considering the long final TT and his current poisition on the road.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I told you from the beginning that he would have at least one day where he would totally flunk. Kinda his Trademark. First class domestique and great for 1 week stage races. GT captain less so

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
It was a good thing that Nieve lost time waiting for Porte, he would have never been allowed in a breakaway tomorrow otherwise. Now he can go for the stage win rather than riding for 14th place on GC.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
JRanton said:
Nieve was already 6 minutes down before today. At best he might have snuck inside the top 10 at the end of the Tour if he'd been allowed to ride for himself. Probably not though considering the long final TT and his current poisition on the road.

Bernie's eyesore said:
It was a good thing that Nieve lost time waiting for Porte, he would have never been allowed in a breakaway tomorrow otherwise. Now he can go for the stage win rather than riding for 14th place on GC.

If Nieve had finished in the VDB/Peraud/Schleck etc. group he would have been 9th in the GC, though. With some mountain stages coming up and the field not being exactly impressive he could've gotten a pretty good result in Paris imo.

Despite irregular performances, Nieve actually has a bunch of top 10's in the GC and stage wins in GT's though, unlike Richie Porte, who only has a weird top 10 from years ago......

team classification

1. FRA AG2R LA MONDIALE 170h 27' 17''
2. NED BELKIN PRO CYCLING 170h 36' 41'' + 09' 24''
3. GBR TEAM SKY 170h 51' 03'' + 23' 46''
4. KAZ ASTANA PRO TEAM 170h 56' 37'' + 29' 20''
5. USA BMC RACING TEAM 171h 00' 48'' + 33' 31''
6. ESP MOVISTAR TEAM 171h 12' 42'' + 45' 25''
7. FRA TEAM EUROPCAR 171h 22' 50'' + 55' 33''
8. BEL OMEGA PHARMA-QUICK STEP 171h 27' 32'' + 01h 00' 15''
9. ITA LAMPRE - MERIDA 171h 27' 57'' + 01h 00' 40''
10. USA TREK FACTORY RACING 171h 29' 31'' + 01h 02' 14''

Sky would need to be in a big break without AG2R and Belkin....

Dekker_Tifosi said:
team classification

1. FRA AG2R LA MONDIALE 170h 27' 17''
2. NED BELKIN PRO CYCLING 170h 36' 41'' + 09' 24''
3. GBR TEAM SKY 170h 51' 03'' + 23' 46''
4. KAZ ASTANA PRO TEAM 170h 56' 37'' + 29' 20''
5. USA BMC RACING TEAM 171h 00' 48'' + 33' 31''
6. ESP MOVISTAR TEAM 171h 12' 42'' + 45' 25''
7. FRA TEAM EUROPCAR 171h 22' 50'' + 55' 33''
8. BEL OMEGA PHARMA-QUICK STEP 171h 27' 32'' + 01h 00' 15''
9. ITA LAMPRE - MERIDA 171h 27' 57'' + 01h 00' 40''
10. USA TREK FACTORY RACING 171h 29' 31'' + 01h 02' 14''

Sky would need to be in a big break without AG2R and Belkin....
Hi DT, are Belkin going for team prize or is it just everyone for himself/anarchy because the team will fold? Ten Dam's ride today puzzled me.

Haha, just saw the results. 2 days ago told someone that predicted Lill Richie will outclimb Nibbs, that it is much more probable that Nieve will be best Sky in Paris thsn that. Got beaten as lunatic. Just saying that my prediction would've been decided already today, but Nieve had to stay with the great "Plan B leader". Nevermind, Porte really didn't outclimb Nibbs either :D

Netserk said:
Hi DT, are Belkin going for team prize or is it just everyone for himself/anarchy because the team will fold? Ten Dam's ride today puzzled me.

I'm not Dt but Mollema was struggling and not high on GC so maybe Ten Dam got the nod/approval to do as he wanted.

Kruijswijk did ok today (what happened to his form of a few years ago?), suggesting that Belkin are in the team game, trying to make sure they have a good third placer - if its Mollema/Ten Dam versus Peraud/Bardet then these third placers will come in important (as well as anyone in the breakaway).

Netserk said:

Ten Dam has a free role, just like last year. Why would he wait for Mollema? :confused:
Other team mates are dedicated to Mollema (and a bit Ten Dam). Kruijswijk is encouraged to keep riding after helping because of the team class.