• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 68 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
need to divulge a quasi secret, tho I was not the first to come up with the acronym of LRP, I have pushed fervently for its uptake, I am quite bullish and enthusiastic. But there is some antecedent. There is an Australian Rules Football player who achieved a cult status and he had similar initials, LRT, for Lewis Roberts-Thompson. The hyphenation of the surname is a giveaway in Australian culture that earmarks him coming from a family of toffs, bluebloods, torys. The footballer LRT does not play for my team, but I got kinda swept away by the cult status like a stupid little lemming I am. So when someone wrote LRP for Porte, I was the man on the uptake and man with a mission.

we might see if we can get them in the same room someday.

618897_thumb.png

ROBERTS%20THOMPSON%20Lewis.png

art-Lewis-Roberts-Thomson-620x349.jpg

Night Rider said:
pastronef said:
would fans welcome a Porte win over Froome at the Tour and after that stop being so annoyingly un-funny with Porte?

Firstly, there is no chance of LRP ever winning the TdF or Giro.

Secondly, I cannot stand Froome but LRP would be another level bad.

I don't think Porte will win the Giro or the Tour, but I don't think that suggesting he will win one of the two is any more on the face of it insane than saying that Hesjedal or Wiggins would do so was not all that long before they won. If you throw in the Vuelta, recent winners include Horner and Cobo. Porte could very possibly combine a GT where his inevitable flakey day isn't catastrophic and where the top end of the field is weak or plagued with bad form, injuries or crashes. Do I think that's likely to happen? Absolutely not. Do I think there's "no chance" of it happening? Absolutely not.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
Night Rider said:
pastronef said:
would fans welcome a Porte win over Froome at the Tour and after that stop being so annoyingly un-funny with Porte?

Firstly, there is no chance of LRP ever winning the TdF or Giro.

Secondly, I cannot stand Froome but LRP would be another level bad.

I don't think Porte will win the Giro or the Tour, but I don't think that suggesting he will win one of the two is any more on the face of it insane than saying that Hesjedal or Wiggins would do so was not all that long before they won. If you throw in the Vuelta, recent winners include Horner and Cobo. Porte could very possibly combine a GT where his inevitable flakey day isn't catastrophic and where the top end of the field is weak or plagued with bad form, injuries or crashes. Do I think that's likely to happen? Absolutely not. Do I think there's "no chance" of it happening? Absolutely not.

Yes, fair call. I will replace my "no chance" with "highly unlikely".

I left the Vuelta out of my initial no chance comment as crazier things have happened there than the possibility of LRP winning. So that's much more of a chance than the other two, let's say a slim chance.

Re:

blackcat said:
need to divulge a quasi secret, tho I was not the first to come up with the acronym of LRP, I have pushed fervently for its uptake, I am quite bullish and enthusiastic. But there is some antecedent. There is an Australian Rules Football player who achieved a cult status and he had similar initials, LRT, for Lewis Roberts-Thompson. The hyphenation of the surname is a giveaway in Australian culture that earmarks him coming from a family of toffs, bluebloods, torys. The footballer LRT does not play for my team, but I got kinda swept away by the cult status like a stupid little lemming I am. So when someone wrote LRP for Porte, I was the man on the uptake and man with a mission.

we might see if we can get them in the same room someday.

618897_thumb.png

ROBERTS%20THOMPSON%20Lewis.png

art-Lewis-Roberts-Thomson-620x349.jpg

Blackcat.

Have you given up BF and the Hot Topics Board - A few extremists are in residence - Lewis Roberts-Thompson had many rough edges, definitely not finesse - In saying that he was a safe and dependable player.

This is what we want from Richie Porte - Ride solid every day in a GT - Follow this script and he can podium in a GT.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

yaco said:
Blackcat.

Have you given up BF and the Hot Topics Board - A few extremists are in residence - Lewis Roberts-Thompson had many rough edges, definitely not finesse - In saying that he was a safe and dependable player.

This is what we want from Richie Porte - Ride solid every day in a GT - Follow this script and he can podium in a GT.

I think LRT should have won the Norm Smith medal in one premiership, actually, it may have been a loss to West Coast, he should have still won the NS on the back of his first half. I became a fan after that. I think it muse have been the loss in the gf to WC. He probably had played only ~40 games up to then, maybe less. so it would have been around 2005, whenever they lost that flag. Then he had a super year and years around 2010 when Roos used him as a "swingman" before it became a euphemism or weasel word or trend du jour to use the word. And he was kicking goals, playing as a utility ruck, going back, cos I think he was originally used as a centre-half-back and chop-out ruck. But he was kicking goals, dominant as a utility, who was not blessed with talent. like the original "swingman" euphemism or this epoch and era, the Hunter guy from WC, who also had good finals against Sydney. They both retired this year about the same time too. I dont even give two hoots about AFL football or watch it.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
"BMC have given me the opportunity to challenge (Froome) at the Tour de France"

Oh boy, this guy has a pretty big mouth for such a small body :D

Just as every year, I'm accepting avatar challenge for TLMRP. Since we all know that he will never finish on the podium of any GT, and because I want to make it fair, I will accept any bet against Porte making the Top 10 in the 2016 TDF.

Re:

Jancouver said:
"BMC have given me the opportunity to challenge (Froome) at the Tour de France"

Oh boy, this guy has a pretty big mouth for such a small body :D

Just as every year, I'm accepting avatar challenge for TLMRP. Since we all know that he will never finish on the podium of any GT, and because I want to make it fair, I will accept any bet against Porte making the Top 10 in the 2016 TDF.

You're on :)

Shall we go top 5?

I know I've lost it already , so can we change it to: 2 one week stage race victories and and top 10 at the TDF or a top 5 at the TDF or 3 one week stage races and a Top 20 at the TDF.

3 possible scenarios to make it interesting...

You up for it?

Still 99.6% sure you'll win, but still :D

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
I know I've lost it already , so can we change it to: 2 one week stage race victories and and top 10 at the TDF or a top 5 at the TDF or 3 one week stage races and a Top 20 at the TDF.

You up for it?

Well, the 3rd option is somewhat likely, but I still like my odds and I will put my money where my mouth is so you got a deal!

Thinking about Porte, I truly think that he is delusional and I don't think BMC signed him to challenge the TDF. While I'm not exactly TJ biggest fan, I would take him over the midget for any 3-week race.

I just hope that they won't make the mistake of bringing TLMRP to the Tour as a team leader. On the other hand, he can't really work for TJ or anyone else because he is so small and there will be no benefit of riding on his wheel. (even uphill) ... unless he is the designated water-boy :cool:

Jancouver said:
Brullnux said:

You up for it?

Well, the 3rd option is somewhat likely, but I still like my odds and I will put my money where my mouth is so you got a deal!

Thinking about Porte, I truly think that he is delusional and I don't think BMC signed him to challenge the TDF. While I'm not exactly TJ biggest fan, I would take him over the midget for any 3-week race.

I just hope that they won't make the mistake of bringing TLMRP to the Tour as a team leader. On the other hand, he can't really work for TJ or anyone else because he is so small and there will be no benefit of riding on his wheel. (even uphill) ... unless he is the designated water-boy :cool:

I think you might have lost with the top 20 at the TdF. You were a shoe in for the win without that.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

Jspear said:
Jancouver said:
Brullnux said:

You up for it?

I think you might have lost with the top 20 at the TdF. You were a shoe in for the win without that.

I know, but he still has to win 3 one week races and that may be tricky as there is a lot of other guys that can win those shorter races. As per the TDF, I think once he is out of the top 10 he will be out of the top 20 too. He may not even finish the race :D

Jancouver said:
Brullnux said:

You up for it?

Awesome :)

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm by no means a fan of TJ. I thought he was taking steps forward. But this TDF he took big steps back to me.

I'm also not a fan of Porte. And his antics.

But to say TJ is a better rider then Porte. I have to disagree.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

thehook said:
I'm by no means a fan of TJ. I thought he was taking steps forward. But this TDF he took big steps back to me.

Are you saying that Porte is better than TJ in GTs (3 week races)? Please show me the money! Unlike Porte, TJ already got two Top 5 placings at the TDF.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

Jancouver said:
thehook said:

Are you saying that Porte is better than TJ in GTs (3 week races)? Please show me the money! Unlike Porte, TJ already got two Top 5 placings at the TDF.

If you take TJ's Palmares and put it next to Porte's. How do they look?

TRENDING THREADS