• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
DBotero said:
wNzMDmv.png
What part of "GT" do you not understand? :)

Re:

Scarponi said:
Though TJs record speaks better he just never tried to go full on and follow everyone.

Im sure if Porte just rode within himself he could manage a 5th in the TDF but he knows in 1-2 days he could go with the best and its too hard of a temptation to resist

Well then that's he's a stupid rider. If you can only be with the best for two days you'd better try to at least win the stage -at least you'd have something worth speaking of. What's the point of riding super hard for two days when your captain is Froomie (who he won't beat in a mtf.) I personally don't think he's that dumb....he just can't handle 3 weeks at the level needed to place high in the GC.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Scarponi said:
Though TJs record speaks better he just never tried to go full on and follow everyone.

Im sure if Porte just rode within himself he could manage a 5th in the TDF but he knows in 1-2 days he could go with the best and its too hard of a temptation to resist

Well then that's he's a stupid rider. If you can only be with the best for two days you'd better try to at least win the stage -at least you'd have something worth speaking of. What's the point of riding super hard for two days when your captain is Froomie (who he won't beat in a mtf.) I personally don't think he's that dumb....he just can't handle 3 weeks at the level needed to place high in the GC.

Could you personally turn down being 10 seconds behind Froome or 10 seconds ahead of Froome by stage 13? How can anyone not go for it

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
DBotero said:
Can't wait for the first duel.Hopefully they both stay healthy and deliver.

First duel with Froome?

Oh boy, here we go again with the nonsense :cool:

It's amazing what kind of brain-washing effect by the Aussie media one 3km climb has on most Aussie fans. :eek:

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

blackcat said:
this will be the breakout year for LRP. we need to lend him some respect.
Every year is the breakout year.
It will be the inevitable fail as always. He his 2nd tier when it comes to 3 weeks
Its the same story every year

Enjoy your hope because he can't cope
A three week tour is just to far
For porte to win ,he will need a car
But that's against UCI rules so in the end LRP will lose

Many thanks

ray j willings said:
blackcat said:
It will be the inevitable fail as always. He his 2nd tier when it comes to 3 weeks

Many thanks

you enjoyed the Willunga stage I guess ;)
or you were cheering for Henao? :D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

ray j willings said:
blackcat said:

Many thanks

Lol. :D But you know.. I have to applaud Richie's decision to leave Sky to try his luck. He might not be Froome or Contador, but I have to say, it's fun to watch him riding yesterday at Willunga Hill. I'm not Richie's fan, but I do want to see him doing well outside Sky. (if it's called his breakout year.. then so be it). He has earned (sorta) a reputation around the forum as one week racer and can't handle 3 weeks. And so far up until now (until the TDF), that is still the case. But I still (quietly) can't help to rooting for him (even though I'm not his fan, and not even close). I hope he gets some success out of Sky (if it's not better then similar). Otherwise, people will think there's no life after Sky. :D

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Of course Richie is able to challenge Froome, in one week races and probably even on the first MTF, but Richie has never shown that he's a contender for the gc in a gt.
Don't get me wrong, he's an outstanding rider that could win or at least podium in every big one week race, but the whole Richie Porte gt contender hype can be a little bit annoying.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Of course Richie is able to challenge Froome, in one week races and probably even on the first MTF, but Richie has never shown that he's a contender for the gc in a gt.
Don't get me wrong, he's an outstanding rider that could win or at least podium in every big one week race, but the whole Richie Porte gt contender hype can be a little bit annoying.

Agreed. LRP is right up there for one week races, but he's shown next to nothing in terms of consistency over a 3 week period

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

pastronef said:
ray j willings said:
blackcat said:

Many thanks

I was waiting for Durainrider to go past him :D
In all fairness he looked very strong, a great attack "perfect" and that dig to drop Henao was super.
He starts every year like this though and in all honesty I doubt Froome and Bertie and Aru etc will be worrying about him anymore than they have in previous years.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
perhaps he should target Vuelta, he might be a podium chance there
Giro the weather is often variable and well Richie's sinuses are fragile
TDF is just too tough for him

he seems to be happier at BMC going by the pointed remarks he made the other day ...words to effect of its nice for his team to support him for a change. Although you wouldnt know it as no longer projects the aura of the happy go lucky kid that came onto the tour half a decade back.

Jancouver said:
DBotero said:

First duel with Froome?

It's amazing what kind of brain-washing effect by the Aussie media one 3km climb has on most Aussie fans. :eek:

Yep LRP will get his arse handed to him by Froome over 3 weeks no doubt but in a 1 week race LRP has the capabilities to beat Froome.

ray j willings said:
pastronef said:
ray j willings said:
blackcat said:

Many thanks

I was waiting for Durainrider to go past him :D
In all fairness he looked very strong, a great attack "perfect" and that dig to drop Henao was super.
He starts every year like this though and in all honesty I doubt Froome and Bertie and Aru etc will be worrying about him anymore than they have in previous years.

haha :p Durianrider should be chuffed for Richie´s win :D

StryderHells said:
Jancouver said:
DBotero said:

First duel with Froome?

Yep LRP will get his arse handed to him by Froome over 3 weeks no doubt but in a 1 week race LRP has the capabilities to beat Froome.

Indeed, Richie is top-tier when it comes to 1 week races. May even be the favorite.

Im still waiting for Richie to do a good GT contrary to popular beliefs, but he has to do it this year, otherwise I think its over for him in that regard. We can all only hope he shows up in the Tour the way he occasionally rides in the mountains in TdF and the rest of the races on the calendar. Its not super plausible, but lets wait and see. His ceiling is still super high, we are not talking bout Andrew Talansky here.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Valv.Piti said:
StryderHells said:
Jancouver said:
DBotero said:

First duel with Froome?

Indeed, Richie is top-tier when it comes to 1 week races. May even be the favorite.

Im still waiting for Richie to do a good GT contrary to popular beliefs, but he has to do it this year, otherwise I think its over for him in that regard. We can all only hope he shows up in the Tour the way he occasionally rides in the mountains in TdF and the rest of the races on the calendar. Its not super plausible, but lets wait and see. His ceiling is still super high, we are not talking bout Andrew Talansky here.

He did a good GT at his first Giro. although had some luck with the split on that rainy day. His team rode well for him though.

He was doing well in last year's Giro until the comedy of errors ! Then he just fell to pieces physically and mentally it seems. I think he probably has two seasons to show his best in a GT. I can't see him doing a Cadel and winning a GT at 34 and Cadel always threatened to win a GT while Porte never has so far.