• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it is this. CTFU then you may be able to ride a decent level and it may stop some of you spewing out your jealous views.
DR does pat himself on the back, so what? But he does get to ride with the pros and he does a good job with his vid's
I don't always agree with him but he walks the talk and he has shown himself getting dropped by other riders so I think his ego is not that bad.
Has for Rogan vid , he did swear a lot but his points are valid.
DR is OK with me.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
DBotero said:
I thought this was suppose to be Porte thread :confused: The fans of that person can make a thread were to declare their admiration and love and not derail this one.

relax, it's still somewhat related to the topic of this thread!

The overwhelming regulation and very strict rules are the reasons the user base of this forum is continuing to decline. Sooner or later, guys like you will boot out every user with an opinion.

Jancouver said:
DBotero said:
I thought this was suppose to be Porte thread :confused: The fans of that person can make a thread were to declare their admiration and love and not derail this one.

relax, it's still somewhat related to the topic of this thread!

The overwhelming regulation and very strict rules are the reasons the user base of this forum is continuing to decline. Sooner or later, guys like you will boot out every user with an opinion.

:eek: I'm confused about this one.Maybe you should clarify it for me.

Re:

BigMac said:
Yeah, surprised by Richie myself when I saw that video. Team leadership must be getting to his head, durianrider and Cycling Maven rode up some Adelaide climbs with the Sky lads and they seemed cool with it, G even took some pictures. Porte seemed to be the only one bothered. Anyway, gotta love Harley, wish he posted more here.

Check out Durianriders comments/posts on domestic violence, Porte could of ridden the guy into a ditch and it still would of been okay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbqDRF4aVBs

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

dacooley said:
Jancouver said:
johnymax said:
A little off topic. I think this is the year for Richie. He'll make the top 5 at the Tour.

Oh boy, here we go again with the nonsense. :eek:

what are you going to say, not to mention you'd strongly dislike to see porte in top-5 of the tour?

First of all, I don't have any problems with TLMRP.

I just see (any GT) top 5 or even top 10 as very unrealistic expectations.

I think the chances are about the same as expecting Alberto Contador to finish Top 5 in Paris-Roubaix

Jancouver said:
dacooley said:
Jancouver said:
johnymax said:
A little off topic. I think this is the year for Richie. He'll make the top 5 at the Tour.

Oh boy, here we go again with the nonsense. :eek:

what are you going to say, not to mention you'd strongly dislike to see porte in top-5 of the tour?

First of all, I don't have any problems with TLMRP.

I just see (any GT) top 5 or even top 10 as very unrealistic expectations.

I think the chances are about the same as expecting Alberto Contador to finish Top 5 in Paris-Roubaix

Agree that he won't finish top 5 but he could sneak into the bottom part (8/9/10) of the top 10, the GC usually drops away pretty quickly around that mark due to injury, illness, bad luck. But relying on things going wrong to other riders to make a top 10 in a GT doesn't inspire confidence.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
TLMRP is 31 years old, so it is not like he is some kind of junior just getting started. Yes, he is kind of a late bloomer but regardless of his wins from shorter races, nothing so far is pointing to a top GT result. And quite honestly, who really cares about anything other than a GC podium? Nobody can remember 4-10 even from a few years ago.

But again, anything is possible these days with all the craziness that is happening clinic + mechanical related.

Re:

Jancouver said:
TLMRP is 31 years old, so it is not like he is some kind of junior just getting started. Yes, he is kind of a late bloomer but regardless of his wins from shorter races, nothing so far is pointing to a top GT result. And quite honestly, who really cares about anything other than a GC podium? Nobody can remember 4-10 even from a few years ago.

But again, anything is possible these days with all the craziness that is happening clinic + mechanical related.

I don't understand this attitude, i'm sure Frank was very happy finishing 8th in last years Tour and the same goes for riders like Navarro, Ten Dam and plenty of others who have bagged a top 10. I will never get why winning is everything to so many people, it's such a self defeating attitude

StryderHells said:
Jancouver said:

I don't understand this attitude, i'm sure Frank was very happy finishing 8th in last years Tour and the same goes for riders like Navarro, Ten Dam and plenty of others who have bagged a top 10. I will never get why winning is everything to so many people, it's such a self defeating attitude

These guys don't have the same status as Porte, with the level of hype that Porte places upon himself.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

Ricco' said:
StryderHells said:
Jancouver said:

These guys don't have the same status as Porte, with the level of hype that Porte places upon himself.

I totally agree with you on this.

Top 10 may be a good result for some second tier climber but even if Porte would somehow manage to get into the Top 10, due to the hype and his past results from shorter races, most people would be disappointed with that result anyway.

Therefore, it is better for him to finish way down instead of being 8th or 9th.

Ricco' said:
StryderHells said:
Jancouver said:

Porte doesn't put the hype on himself but the media do all the the time and it's the same with TJVG who has got some decent GC results but like Porte never seems to be able to finish off a GT for various reasons.

Re:

sir fly said:
Richie seems like a genuinely pleasant person, but it's really difficult to believe he'll deliver in his debut with the new team, while he couldn't make it in Sky.
He could have a good shot at Vuelta, once he gives up of the Tour.

I think the opposite. There are no excuses now as he won't be doing domestique duty for Froome and I don't think Sky really believed in him as a GT rider. I think even though BMC are a weaker GT team, Porte will be more comfortable there and he won't be doing a mixed role anymore he will be team leader or co-team leader. I think the change of team will be good for him and it will be good to escape the whole Sky controversy and scrutiny they constantly come under. Porte will be able to fly under the radar a bit more at BMC and without as much pressure. BMC will be frustrated if neither of their GT riders put in a performance and they are both quite similar. Both struggle with the three weeks and the recovery that is needed, both are good TT riders and both have bad days in the mountains and neither has a good sprint and would never beat Rodriguez or Valverde in MTF sprint. They are both diesels but Porte has a better change of pace than TJVG. I have given up trying to predict what either rider will do.

movingtarget said:
sir fly said:
Richie seems like a genuinely pleasant person, but it's really difficult to believe he'll deliver in his debut with the new team, while he couldn't make it in Sky.
He could have a good shot at Vuelta, once he gives up of the Tour.

I think the opposite. There are no excuses now as he won't be doing domestique duty for Froome and I don't think Sky really believed in him as a GT rider. I think even though BMC are a weaker GT team, Porte will be more comfortable there and he won't be doing a mixed role anymore he will be team leader or co-team leader. I think the change of team will be good for him and it will be good to escape the whole Sky controversy and scrutiny they constantly come under. Porte will be able to fly under the radar a bit more at BMC and without as much pressure. BMC will be frustrated if neither of their GT riders put in a performance and they are both quite similar. Both struggle with the three weeks and the recovery that is needed, both are good TT riders and both have bad days in the mountains and neither has a good sprint and would never beat Rodriguez or Valverde in MTF sprint. They are both diesels but Porte has a better change of pace than TJVG. I have given up trying to predict what either rider will do.
Yes, that's a possibility as well, I agree.
And if one of the BMC's coleaders manages to get in the GC mix, that would be the quality I'll have nothing against.

I am not sure why people on here dislike Richie Porte...I quite like him. ..He speaks his mind and is very loyal ...I guess some people hate that Porte could help Froome beat Contador and then had the arrogance to think he could win a GT :rolleyes:

Porte has every right to try for a GT .and is as good as any maybe with the exception of the big 5..he is a great climber and a great TTer even if his consistency over 3 weeks is questionable

TRENDING THREADS