• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Carols said:
Well it was his selfishness on Saxo that made me dislike him and he has always thought to highly of himself. He still does.

I didn't realize Sky started in 2010. Regardless, Sky has absolutely nothing to do with what I think of LRP.

yes, poor TLMRTP, do you remember Vuelta 2010 opening TTT? Suddenly he had to be the first over the line. That was the moment I started to think there was something weird with that guy...

I have a weird feeling both Porte and Tejay will deliver the goods in the Tour. What a race it will be if Tejay can take just a little step forward from last year and Porte finally climbs like he does in every other race not consisting of 3 weeks. I don't look too much into him getting dropped so the last couple of days, it may even be good for him to get a little under the radar and not win every one week stage race like last year in order not to be exhausted before the Tour.

Im no fan, but one can only hope that Porte and Tejay will show up. Porte's ceiling is higher than Tejay's, Tejay is probably the more safer one, but they may be able to use that one-two punch at some point if its all clicking towards the final week T-Mobile style.

Re:

vedrafjord said:
This is a slightly silly article: http://cyclingtips.com/2016/02/richie-portes-journey-towards-winning-the-tour-de-france/

First sentence:
Richie Porte won’t outright say he can win the Tour de France but he is sure of his own mental resolve should it come down to a dog fight between him and Chris Froome.
His mental resolve is the big question mark.
He should think about his physical resolve, first.
Only if manages to delay, or (even better) completely avoid, the infamous bad day, he'll be in position to utilize the mental resolve.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

vedrafjord said:
This is a slightly silly article: http://cyclingtips.com/2016/02/richie-portes-journey-towards-winning-the-tour-de-france/

First sentence:
Richie Porte won’t outright say he can win the Tour de France but he is sure of his own mental resolve should it come down to a dog fight between him and Chris Froome.
His mental resolve is the big question mark.

thats a joke right? a dawg fight.

how do you beat a dawg in a dawg fight?

need Cuddles as your domestique cos he will threaten to cut folks heads off if they step on his dawg

Porte doesnt have any mental problem. He was in shape to win the Giro, just bad luck put him apart, he was saving energy and at the same time climbing like Contador. We dont know how he would have finished il Giro, if he fade at the end, but we just dont know, so, the rest is speculation, becouse he has been always a domestique in the GT.

He did well to leave il Giro, I dont undertand why Urán followed quite ill and with crashes if he had to race le Tour as well. it is stupid, although he got some good results at the end. That is not mental weak, just is to be clever.

I hope he recover soon his heath problems (we are a lot of people with the same problem un february) to see his level this year, but he showed already in Australia his strenght, climbing Willunga at the same time than last year, the record of the climb.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
DBotero said:
From physical perspective he's good to go but he's mental strength is still under scrutiny.

Both not up to a standard to win a grand tour. Body has broken down numerous times in three week races and mentally not there either, he pretty much admitted that recently.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Night Rider said:
DBotero said:
From physical perspective he's good to go but he's mental strength is still under scrutiny.

Both not up to a standard to win a grand tour. Body has broken down numerous times in three week races and mentally not there either, he pretty much admitted that recently.

and you reckon ian stannard will win a GT?

dreaming

#LRP #FTW

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
Night Rider said:
DBotero said:

and you reckon ian stannard will win a GT?

dreaming

#LRP #FTW

Me? Or someone else? If anyone thinks Stannard will win one then they are even more deluded than those that think Porte will. At least Porte on a dream training program could have an outside shot of winning the Vuelta if everyone fell over. Even Horner could win that.

After what looked like he had gained 5 kgs in Oman, I think he did well today. May also be a good thing he doesn't come out blasting the way he did in 2015 and doesn't peak too soon. All that really matters in the end for BMC is the Tour anyways and that's how it should be at this point of his career.

TRENDING THREADS