• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Porte's not out of it yet. The thing about him is that he's mentally weak. Let's the smallest things get to him. If a fan called him an idiot, he would let it play on his mind for days. His Tour is not over. Not by a long shot, but he thinks it is. This will weigh on his mind the next few days and because of it he'll ride himself out of contention. He needs to let it go and focus. But he won't.

Re:

Sasquatch said:
Porte's not out of it yet. The thing about him is that he's mentally weak. Let's the smallest things get to him. If a fan called him an idiot, he would let it play on his mind for days. His Tour is not over. Not by a long shot, but he thinks it is. This will weigh on his mind the next few days and because of it he'll ride himself out of contention. He needs to let it go and focus. But he won't.
I think he'd thank you for your honest and informed assessment.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Jelantik said:
Did everyone making fun of Porte? see this video starting at 24:53. Starting w/ one guy on the left tapping the back of IAM rider, then he proceed to act like riding hard (as Porte is appearing). The Movistar rider looked back and laugh..

http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/dailymotion/?title=Last+16+km+of+Stage+2&dashboard=tour-de-france&id=x4jiupo&yr=2016

It could be. It certainly looks like that.

Theuns was the one tapping Naeson's shoulder. The Movistar rider was Jon Izagirre.

Re: Re:

sienna said:
Sasquatch said:
I think he'd thank you for your honest and informed assessment.

The internet is full of experts isn't it ? Many watchers but not many doers. Ah yes the informed assessments you have to love them !

Irondan said:
Son of Amsterhammer said:
He needed those 1.45mins. Badly. Unless he is in the best form of his life, a podium is highly unlikely. Which is a shame for him. I hope it doesn't turn out that way though.
On the other hand, a top 10 is a great result for LRP at his first go as a leader in the tour.

Not sure if you're joking but I really don't think a top 10 will mean much to him even bearing in mind his previous inconsistency. A podium or perhaps a top 5 would be a decent result, anything else would be a major disappointment.

At his absolute best Porte has the ability to out-TT and outclimb all the GC contenders aside from Froome so in a way he can afford a time deficit better than Quintana, Aru etc. The issue for Porte remains consistency and keeping his head together.

no tragedy in losing 2 minutes for richie. he hasn't been considered yellow jersey contender, top-5 would be a great result, top-10 as no surprise would also be a step forward as far as the tour concern. either way, its all about consistency. on a good day porte might finish on the level of high and mighties on any mtf. tejay on a good day will lose to them 1-2 minutes so... much still remains to be seen.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Incredibly unlucky. Any remote chance for victory now gone through now fault of his own. When that happens on day 2, that's got to hurt and Richie is liable to just giving up and mailing it in.

I hope he doesn't because he can still make he podium

What on earth are you speaking of?

In what world is Richie Porte, other than the Clinic and a retrace of Floyd 2006 for Phonak (who are BMC) is that possible?

Seriously people run the podium numbers for me.

Sky - 6 or 7 podiums between Froome and Landa. Froome finishes the race, his lowest GC position post 2011 has been 4th place. Its normally 2nd or 1st.

Movistar - Valverde has 8 podiums in GT's along with two 4th and 5th places. Quintana has a Giro win, two second places in the Tour and a 4th in the Vuelta. So that's 11 podium places and Valverde is not riding for podium this time.

Astana - Nibali has 8 podium places in GT's. He's riding for Aru who has 3 podium places and one 5th place in GT's. Astana have won the last two GT's. That's 11 podium places across the team. Richie's team mate couldn't beat the 4th best Astana rider in Switzerland.

Tinkoff Saxo - Alberto has won 9 GT's. He's finished 4th once and 5th twice. His 4th was the only time he could be seen to have under performed. In every GT post 2006 he has ridden fresh, apart from the 2014 Tour, he has finished in first place.

And BMC have what? Lets look at age. Richie is 31. Froome is a year younger. Only Nibali and Contador are older. Tejay is 28 a fortnight after the end of the Tour in early/mid August. Every single on of their rivals at 25-26, had a GC result in the top 10.

You're expecting something neither has proven they can deliver.

The same thing happened last year in the Giro. The Aussie press and SBS had a field day. "Richie is going to win." "Richie is doing so well."

Then reality hits home. Richie gets to day 10-12 and fatigues. Subsequently he loses huge chunks of time. Its a pattern. It will repeat unless something changed. What changed?

I don't believe in over hyping ANYONE. As an Aussie, I find it deplorable people do this Down Under. Not being mean or rude but don't over hype the man at 31 who has no GC results other than a break away assisted 7th in the Giro. It does not count.

Want proof? Sky purchased Landa! Who was on fire in the Giro Porte was given to lead by Sky!!

Now the hard part. Stage 2 BMC rode very poorly.

How many people here have heard Peter Sagan's comments about GC teams getting in the road of sprinters teams? I remember BMC have a bad habit of doing this. They did it last year in the Tour and their hope bonked post second rest day AGAIN. It is within reason it could happen again. I watched last year knowing it could repeat and it did...it just got worse. Back to the stage, why, after the first climb at 7.5km did BMC go to the front?

Why would any team that claimed they could win, do that for Greg van Avermaet? He was only going to be a minor placing below 5th at best on his very best day! That's common knowledge. I picked the top 5. I got one position wrong...Valverde and Alhaphillipe were around different than I expected. So why were BMC at the front when Tejay should have had two riders shielding him and the same for Richie?

If anyone here believes Richie can top 10, let claim he can PODIUM (which is really pushing the outer limits of delusions of grandeur), what are the opinions on his team? They did this in last years Giro as well. No support. Is it his personality? Or incompetence? Maybe just bad timing?

Anyway back to stage 2. I was annoyed with BMC and vocally expressed my dislike to the person I was viewing with.

With 5km to go I said "it would serve BMC right if Porte got a flat."

A whole whopping 1km later, the camera pans back to show a red BMC jersey getting off his bike. Now, I had a good laugh because what I said occurred, but the man doesn't deserve to be left alone.

I know I have not been on this forum in like 3-4 years, but this is ridiculous. Treat Richie as he is, not as the fanboys want him to be. At his age, Cadel Evans had two second places in the Tour and two top 10 positions as well. There was progress. There is hope, at 34 in the 2006 Tour Cadel's biggest domestique was Chris Horner...so maybe there is time to peak as a GC rider.

I don't mind Porte, but intellect wise, he's lacking. Too many Aussies talk him up. SBS stalewart and a man renowned for his lack of intelligence, Mike Tomolaris cannot stop talking Porte up. He's been at it for years. Matthew Keenan is almost as bad. But ask Robbie McEwen or Henk Vogels and they're honest when Porte has not performed...like in last years Giro. They allow the others to 'over hype' Porte, because it's rude to just shut the fanboys down on national television, but this is not that place.

Porte is not beating any of those riders I mentioned on those 4 teams. Any of them.

Then there is Bardet who is on fire. Pinot. They're on home soil and can perform. Mollema, Rollande and Kelderman could all do a strong top 10. I don't see people over hyping Dan Martin, but he actually had fire power in the Dauphine and has finally departed the long running Garmin/Cannondale joke of a team...

Porte is a fine stage racer. He did well last year and this year. 7-9 days, he's fine. As soon as it hits day 10 though, things change. And that's perfectly fine. Just don't add to the man dramas like those idiots running BMC have by making him into the next Bjarne Riis as a plus 30 year old first time GC performer.

Who here honestly thinks it's fair to label someone a winner until they do? If Tejay or Porte end up in Kruisjwijk's position, as he was in the Giro, then and ONLY then should they be considered capable of being on the podium and in Porte's case, top 10.

I apologise if this sounds harsh, that's not my intention. Stopping lunacy is the aim. Keep it real people...

Galic Ho said:
SeriousSam said:
Incredibly unlucky. Any remote chance for victory now gone through now fault of his own. When that happens on day 2, that's got to hurt and Richie is liable to just giving up and mailing it in.

In what world is Richie Porte, other than the Clinic and a retrace of Floyd 2006 for Phonak (who are BMC) is that possible?

Sky - 6 or 7 podiums between Froome and Landa. Froome finishes the race, his lowest GC position post 2011 has been 4th place. Its normally 2nd or 1st.

Movistar - Valverde has 8 podiums in GT's along with two 4th and 5th places. Quintana has a Giro win, two second places in the Tour and a 4th in the Vuelta. So that's 11 podium places and Valverde is not riding for podium this time.

Astana - Nibali has 8 podium places in GT's. He's riding for Aru who has 3 podium places and one 5th place in GT's. Astana have won the last two GT's. That's 11 podium places across the team. Richie's team mate couldn't beat the 4th best Astana rider in Switzerland.

Tinkoff Saxo - Alberto has won 9 GT's. He's finished 4th once and 5th twice. His 4th was the only time he could be seen to have under performed. In every GT post 2006 he has ridden fresh, apart from the 2014 Tour, he has finished in first place.

And BMC have what? Lets look at age. Richie is 31. Froome is a year younger. Only Nibali and Contador are older. Tejay is 28 a fortnight after the end of the Tour in early/mid August. Every single on of their rivals at 25-26, had a GC result in the top 10.

The same thing happened last year in the Giro. The Aussie press and SBS had a field day. "Richie is going to win." "Richie is doing so well."

Then reality hits home. Richie gets to day 10-12 and fatigues. Subsequently he loses huge chunks of time. Its a pattern. It will repeat unless something changed. What changed?

I don't believe in over hyping ANYONE. As an Aussie, I find it deplorable people do this Down Under. Not being mean or rude but don't over hype the man at 31 who has no GC results other than a break away assisted 7th in the Giro. It does not count.

Want proof? Sky purchased Landa! Who was on fire in the Giro Porte was given to lead by Sky!!

How many people here have heard Peter Sagan's comments about GC teams getting in the road of sprinters teams? I remember BMC have a bad habit of doing this. They did it last year in the Tour and their hope bonked post second rest day AGAIN. It is within reason it could happen again. I watched last year knowing it could repeat and it did...it just got worse. Back to the stage, why, after the first climb at 7.5km did BMC go to the front?

Why would any team that claimed they could win, do that for Greg van Avermaet? He was only going to be a minor placing below 5th at best on his very best day! That's common knowledge. I picked the top 5. I got one position wrong...Valverde and Alhaphillipe were around different than I expected. So why were BMC at the front when Tejay should have had two riders shielding him and the same for Richie?

If anyone here believes Richie can top 10, let claim he can PODIUM (which is really pushing the outer limits of delusions of grandeur), what are the opinions on his team? They did this in last years Giro as well. No support. Is it his personality? Or incompetence? Maybe just bad timing?

Anyway back to stage 2. I was annoyed with BMC and vocally expressed my dislike to the person I was viewing with.

A whole whopping 1km later, the camera pans back to show a red BMC jersey getting off his bike. Now, I had a good laugh because what I said occurred, but the man doesn't deserve to be left alone.

I know I have not been on this forum in like 3-4 years, but this is ridiculous. Treat Richie as he is, not as the fanboys want him to be. At his age, Cadel Evans had two second places in the Tour and two top 10 positions as well. There was progress. There is hope, at 34 in the 2006 Tour Cadel's biggest domestique was Chris Horner...so maybe there is time to peak as a GC rider.

I don't mind Porte, but intellect wise, he's lacking. Too many Aussies talk him up. SBS stalewart and a man renowned for his lack of intelligence, Mike Tomolaris cannot stop talking Porte up. He's been at it for years. Matthew Keenan is almost as bad. But ask Robbie McEwen or Henk Vogels and they're honest when Porte has not performed...like in last years Giro. They allow the others to 'over hype' Porte, because it's rude to just shut the fanboys down on national television, but this is not that place.

Porte is not beating any of those riders I mentioned on those 4 teams. Any of them.

Then there is Bardet who is on fire. Pinot. They're on home soil and can perform. Mollema, Rollande and Kelderman could all do a strong top 10. I don't see people over hyping Dan Martin, but he actually had fire power in the Dauphine and has finally departed the long running Garmin/Cannondale joke of a team...

Porte is a fine stage racer. He did well last year and this year. 7-9 days, he's fine. As soon as it hits day 10 though, things change. And that's perfectly fine. Just don't add to the man dramas like those idiots running BMC have by making him into the next Bjarne Riis as a plus 30 year old first time GC performer.

Who here honestly thinks it's fair to label someone a winner until they do? If Tejay or Porte end up in Kruisjwijk's position, as he was in the Giro, then and ONLY then should they be considered capable of being on the podium and in Porte's case, top 10.

I apologise if this sounds harsh, that's not my intention. Stopping lunacy is the aim. Keep it real people...

You question Porte's intellect because he got a puncture ? I wonder what you make of Contador who fell off twice, the first one his own fault ? I agree that he is over hyped but many riders have been treated that way especially by their national media but I don't believe in kicking people when they are down or treating an unlucky series of events as something that can always be controlled especially in a three week long bike race. To have a mishap that close to the finish when the speed is on never usually turns out well for any rider so it is not something specific to Porte alone.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

blackcat said:
$h!t LRP.

Mavic Neutral Service need to team up with the Red Bull F1 pitt.

They suck balls

You jest unfairly.

Daniel Ricciardo was actually capable of winning the Monaco GP.

Porte is not so fortunate.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

SergeDeM said:
I make fun of people expecting much from Porte and I stand by that, but this is just terrible. They guy can't catch a break.

I don't. But they do bring it upon themselves.

Calling him the 'Bottle' of his generation, aka Levi Leipheimer is wrong. Levi made the podium of a Grand Tour. They do ride in a similar fashion, along with Tejay but no rider should be derided for lacking the capacity to attack when they're already on the ropes in the mountains in the third week of a GT. Most are just hanging on. Few have the capacity to accelerate without blowing up. Hence why they don't. That elusive top 10 is a big deal...and yet, with no proof he can do it, people here think Porte will!

But that type of thinking is never much fun to read,because I know the end result. Disappointment and dejection. A bit like being Dutch when Kruisjwijk fell in the Giro. Which is why I don't over hype riders...not that this is similar to the Giro incident, because Porte actually has to get there to begin with.

Hint, who wrote this?

It will be better for the Tour if riders like Porte and TJVG do well. There is nothing worse than watching match races in GTs between two riders with everyone else in the distance. I think Bardet will also be interesting to watch but his TT is a bit weak. All of the experts are picking a battle between Quintana, Froome and Contador. I hope they are wrong. Aru and Pinot might do well without hitting the podium. Talansky badly needs a result and JVDB seems to be past it now. Can't see Rodriguez doing much also past it, maybe a stage win. Landa will be playing the team role.

To address this is simple. Aru, attacks. He's won a GT. Quintana and Valverde will attack. The consistent theme on this forum years ago was 'Movistar do not attack.' They did last year and caught Froome out. The one day Porte was strong was that day, the stage to Alpe d'Huez. Hope as much you want movingtarget but JVDB is capable of doing okay for the third string of riders, around 8-12th place for a day or two in the high mountains. Good rider, but not expected to top 10. He's the same as Richie...just 2 years older as well. As far as animation goes, should Contador improve there will be attacks. He always does. Does anyone expect Nibali to not try? He will as well.

How does a team with two riders who have shown their best card to play in the third week of a GT in recent years is to abandon the race or completely bomb out? They're not going to suddenly make it more interesting. What has changed in them that could do this? A nice goals list? Wait till they get the form before hoping for them to attack. They have to first LAST...attacking comes AFTER showing them can remain with the front runners, aka Froome, Contador and Quintana.

Why not look at Bardet who attacked last year. It's guys like Pinot and Porte and Tejay who hang on and hope for a chrono/ITT. Except Porte has historically fatigued so poorly his chrono in the second and third week relative to his in a stage race has been below certain expectations. In other words, people have been over hyping the man.

Mr Tibbs...are you for real dude? You picked Porte for third? On what basis? I would honestly like to know how people think that is reasonable! Mike Tomolaris on SBS for YEARS talked Jack Bobridge up. Every Giro I have seen Jack race, he was also in last place on GC. That has never stopped Tomo from believing he'd maybe become a GC rider! He's got be a stage racer first though!! Most people understand these basics...

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site

Galic Ho said:
blackcat said:
$h!t LRP.

They suck balls

You jest unfairly.

It's a matter of perspective.

When Porte shows his usual form, then people will forget this incident.

I'll remember it happening, but most will forget. The people who over hype a rider, like Porte has undergone, have a repeating habit of forgetting the riders actual performances.

If Richie were not spoken of as a GC hopeful, would anyone care?

No they would not. Someone always gets a flat. Somebody always falls. Racing incidents occur.

What part though, does hype and over emphasised importance of a rider play in long term scheme of a grand tour if they get an early setback? Contador has won several grand tours...its natural to observe and note the race's outcome may have been negatively impacted by that. But does Porte, on hype alone, warrant the same type of commentary? I would argue no he doesn't and that addressing him at this actual abilities, rather than the constant mythical ability he COULD possess should the planets align and every other candidate choose to quit, would do his own mind and life a lot of good. Does anyone think he handles underperforming when so many talk him up as being on par with the 3 favourites? I cannot imagine if he believed the hype himself it would be good to deal with such a let down...

BMC claimed in their press conference they were here to win. On what basis is that fair or reasonable? None based on history. A fair and good objective would have been to procede to BUILD their riders confidence. That means targeting a race they can do well in.

So the Giro was the OBVIOUS choice. BMC chose the Tour for its glamour, rather than a weaker GC lineup which the Giro offers. For two riders with such shallow GC performances, before dipping both in the frying pan, take them to a GT as a team where you won't be out of depth. That's logical and realistic. From there, address the desire to move upward.

Instead, BMC had Tejay mouthing off about Froome having a fatigue issue and weakness in the third week of the Tour...yet Tejay cannot even finish a single GT in 2015.

I am very strongly suggesting BMC are arrogant, prideful and will fall. A touch of humility would be wise, because pride comes before a fall. And for the psychological and mental well being of both riders, their careers do not need another bad GT result.

it's really simple. Richie was paid bigger bucks by BMC. He HAS to perform. So does Tejay. BMC have dumped them in the pan and turned the heat up and unfortunately, its not fair, nor do I think they'll perform, but they did not say no to it. Which means who loses out in the end? They do. BMC should have sent a strong team to the Giro...but they're dumb.

And I was not implying Richie's flat tyre was from a lack of intelligence. Just listen to his speech patterns and mental reasoning...he's not very bright. Sadly, from what I know, his biggest Aussie media fans are renowned for their lack of insight and understanding about cycling as well. It's not their fault they're not bright, but they would be well versed and served to remain tight lipped, let the man race without the hype and see if he can make a top 10. Just finishing near 10 is a HUGE achievement. Get a GC top 10, then aim higher. Don't just aim for third or higher at his age...keep it real. Maintain your sanity and composure people. It will save you a lot of heart ache and emotional distress.

Richie Porte gets a ridiculously hard time of it in this forum. I had no great love for the guy, but when I read people rubbishing his ability...so many people so strident that he has no chance of doing well....it makes me want him to succeed.

Galic Ho said:
Galic Ho said:
blackcat said:
$h!t LRP.

They suck balls

You jest unfairly.

It's a matter of perspective.

When Porte shows his usual form, then people will forget this incident.

I'll remember it happening, but most will forget. The people who over hype a rider, like Porte has undergone, have a repeating habit of forgetting the riders actual performances.

If Richie were not spoken of as a GC hopeful, would anyone care?

No they would not. Someone always gets a flat. Somebody always falls. Racing incidents occur.

What part though, does hype and over emphasised importance of a rider play in long term scheme of a grand tour if they get an early setback? Contador has won several grand tours...its natural to observe and note the race's outcome may have been negatively impacted by that. But does Porte, on hype alone, warrant the same type of commentary? I would argue no he doesn't and that addressing him at this actual abilities, rather than the constant mythical ability he COULD possess should the planets align and every other candidate choose to quit, would do his own mind and life a lot of good. Does anyone think he handles underperforming when so many talk him up as being on par with the 3 favourites? I cannot imagine if he believed the hype himself it would be good to deal with such a let down...

BMC claimed in their press conference they were here to win. On what basis is that fair or reasonable? None based on history. A fair and good objective would have been to procede to BUILD their riders confidence. That means targeting a race they can do well in.

So the Giro was the OBVIOUS choice. BMC chose the Tour for its glamour, rather than a weaker GC lineup which the Giro offers. For two riders with such shallow GC performances, before dipping both in the frying pan, take them to a GT as a team where you won't be out of depth. That's logical and realistic. From there, address the desire to move upward.

Instead, BMC had Tejay mouthing off about Froome having a fatigue issue and weakness in the third week of the Tour...yet Tejay cannot even finish a single GT in 2015.

I am very strongly suggesting BMC are arrogant, prideful and will fall. A touch of humility would be wise, because pride comes before a fall. And for the psychological and mental well being of both riders, their careers do not need another bad GT result.

it's really simple. Richie was paid bigger bucks by BMC. He HAS to perform. So does Tejay. BMC have dumped them in the pan and turned the heat up and unfortunately, its not fair, nor do I think they'll perform, but they did not say no to it. Which means who loses out in the end? They do. BMC should have sent a strong team to the Giro...but they're dumb.

And I was not implying Richie's flat tyre was from a lack of intelligence. Just listen to his speech patterns and mental reasoning...he's not very bright. Sadly, from what I know, his biggest Aussie media fans are renowned for their lack of insight and understanding about cycling as well. It's not their fault they're not bright, but they would be well versed and served to remain tight lipped, let the man race without the hype and see if he can make a top 10. Just finishing near 10 is a HUGE achievement. Get a GC top 10, then aim higher. Don't just aim for third or higher at his age...keep it real. Maintain your sanity and composure people. It will save you a lot of heart ache and emotional distress.

Every team has a team leader although some won't be targeting the GC. Of course a team are going to support their riders and say they are aiming for the podium, why would they be aiming for the top 10. TJVG has finished fifth before. Only a small amount of riders can win a GT but I don't remember SK being mentioned as a possible winner of the Giro before the race but he ended up being in a position to do just that. It' s silly writing people off after four stages. Porte has got a bland speaking voice but that does not mean he is stupid. I think you are reading too much into all of this. Teams support their riders, of course they will hype them a little. BMC have not said they will win the Tour and there is nothing wrong with aiming for the podium. I think it's the fans that get too emotional, for the riders it's a job and there are plenty of factors which decide how successful they will be. For some riders over three weeks illness and luck will play a big part. Contador and Porte have suffered so far but it can happen to others just as easily.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site

Irondan said:
Son of Amsterhammer said:
He needed those 1.45mins. Badly. Unless he is in the best form of his life, a podium is highly unlikely. Which is a shame for him. I hope it doesn't turn out that way though.
On the other hand, a top 10 is a great result for LRP at his first go as a leader in the tour.

Effective leader in 2014. He went in to the 2014 tour as the back up leader to Froome and that was enacted on stage 5 when Froome crashed. Porte was sitting 2nd and cracked big time in the mountains.

He does not have the strength, physically or mentally to last a three week tour.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Re:

barmaher said:
Richie Porte gets a ridiculously hard time of it in this forum. I had no great love for the guy, but when I read people rubbishing his ability...so many people so strident that he has no chance of doing well....it makes me want him to succeed.

I don't think so. I say it's more a balancing of the rubbish we get force fed by the Australian media. There is nothing in his GT history that warrants him being considered a winner or podium placer in the tour. He had a lucky break in his first GT and it's been downhill after that.

Galic Ho has nailed it.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Galic Ho said:
SeriousSam said:

I enjoyed reading your comment. But I have to point out a little correction. Froome is 31 not 30.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site

I enjoyed reading your comment. But I have to point out a little correction. Froome is 31 not 30.

My apologies. I did a quick check on his wiki page and it said he was born in 1986. I had thought he was 31, same age as Porte, but took the wiki as being accurate.

Thanks for the correction!

TRENDING THREADS