• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 110 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

rick james said:
A load of BS, only one talking BS is you, did you even watch the race?

he took a team mates bike after the crash, it didn't have oval chain rings it wasn't his bike, did you miss this?

He took a bike off the road immediately after hitting the deck. He was back up and standing whilst others where crashing. He did get up quickly. But he still got dropped and needed a pull back to the peloton. The ASO time tracking said he was 30 seconds down...that was an over estimation. He got back on quickly. How and shown where?

Froome had the cameras focused on him drafting the team cars at the back of the peloton.

Granted I am watching SBS in Australia, but the lack of focus on other riders is actually off putting. All the director showed was Froome. One would assume only he crashed!

Kwiatkowski and Knees helped him. It might not have been Knees, but it was definitely Kwiatkowski; black rain jersey stood out whilst everyone else at Sky was wearing white. Did you see that?

Entering the outskirts of Liege, with about 25km to go, Froome had made contact with the peloton. They had an extra domestique there. He was fine for 2-3km and then was seen on his own at the back with his right arm sticking high up.

Of course, that was BS. No...callled for the team car.

Team car arrived quickly and they took a NEW BIKE OFF THE TOP FOR HIM.

A new bike that clearly, unless Sky are morons, was setup for his specifications.

So, no, I didn't call something wrong.

That was 10 mintues worth of footage. Just Chris Froome.

And yes, he drafted the cars far too much. Kwiatkowski was with him both times.

Matthew Keenan said he was a great rider to have with you! (then why wasn't he selected in 2016?!?!...madness IMO). Not one Sky fan will say that was BS though or political. It was. Who leaves a rider like Kwiatkowski off their squad?

Porte was not shown once in any footage. Despite what Silvergrenade says. Matthew Keenan, as an Aussie can illustrate, is a MAJOR Porte fanboy!!

Keena said Porte stopped as the crash occurred, was held up because it was literally in front of him, but didn't fall and continued. Yes the crash happened, but Keenan said he was fine. So did Robbie McEwen. The few minor replays the director allowed of the crash replay showed this was probably a true statement because Froome and Sky hit the deck BUT those behind them, SOME, not all, didn't go down...they just hit their breaks.

Unfortunately that escalated further down the peloton on the poor road furniture and some like the Cofidids rider on his side on the ground, were clearly hurt.

Only Bardet and Froome were shown along with Taylor Phinney and the front riders...Jay McCarthy from Bora got a bit of highlight along with the Quickstep riders doing rounds. Katusha stopped pulling after the crash.

It would greatly help if people who aren't fans of only one team, reported events accurately.

Chris Froome did call the team car. Chris Froome did receive a bike from that. That bike, unless Sky are super dumb, was clearly his. So the allusion, he rode poorly after because it was not his bike, whilst he had clear cuts on his glutes, is erroneous.

Is it fans trying to make him not look hurt?

Let's see...they quoted him on this thread. Didn't quote Porte in the Porte thread. Yeah, real honest and consistent.

Then they ignore, because they can, that Sky are masters of PR BS.

The proof Froome is not hurt, will be shown on the road.

Fact is, he took off skin and hurt himself. Contador has a similar crash last year. His Tour was done by stage 10. Crashes hurt dude. End of discussion right there.

Ask Valverde. And drop the BS and blatantly disregard for the fact, that I can name over a dozen crashes in GT's by GC riders, where it definitely hampered their chances.

It's called being a fan and being overly optimistic...in the face of an accident. He could be fine!

But you don't know that. Evidence demonstrated by his riding at the time (and the cameras showed predominantly Froome because he is the reigning winner) leaves questions. Froome will answer them...the road always does.

We'll see in the following days.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Galic Ho said:
They took a bike, off the team car, for him!!

They are really incompetent if they didn't give him a spare setup for him.
?????
the bike on the car was almost certainly his spare bike

That was my point. People were suggesting he got a team mates bike.

How could he have? He fell and was quickly on his feet. That's a good sign.

It looked like he took his bike and remounted very quickly. Did he take a team mates bike who crashed? It doesn't matter because he clearly took a bike off the team car which had to have been his...I was just illustrating that people either didn't get the footage I saw, or weren't paying attention.

All the cameras showed was Froome! It was hard to miss!! :D

That crash and placement, was very similar to Contador last year was it not?

Froome then, once back in the peloton, called for the team car. Race radio went out (Matthew Keenan told Aussie viewers the exact request the race radio gave) and he got a bike for himself.

Go back and read who I replied to (unless they deleted it). They said Froome was riding strange because he was on a team mates bike and I replied and said that was BS.

His bike, and because we see the riders from behind, his pants had a cut and some skin off the upper part of his glutes and maybe lower lumbar region...couldn't tell exactly.

Would you like to remind everyone how this type of thing went downhill for Contador last year?

That was all my point was...they can't say, until the race goes on, that Froome was fine. He clearly wasn't.

Bardet by contrast took zero skin off and regained the peloton largely on his own...

We'll see won't we.

I didn't see anything that suggested he was hurt. He always looks weird on a bike. It can't be compared to Contador last year because we saw him smash his head and shoulder on the curb.
That isn't to say this won't affect Froome, you never know what such a crash does to the body. But at first glance it looks like he escaped without injury.
Anyway, this is the Porte thread.

Galic Ho said:
rick james said:
A load of BS, only one talking BS is you, did you even watch the race?

he took a team mates bike after the crash, it didn't have oval chain rings it wasn't his bike, did you miss this?

He took a bike off the road immediately after hitting the deck. He was back up and standing whilst others where crashing. He did get up quickly. But he still got dropped and needed a pull back to the peloton. The ASO time tracking said he was 30 seconds down...that was an over estimation. He got back on quickly. How and shown where?

Froome had the cameras focused on him drafting the team cars at the back of the peloton.

Granted I am watching SBS in Australia, but the lack of focus on other riders is actually off putting. All the director showed was Froome. One would assume only he crashed!

Kwiatkowski and Knees helped him. It might not have been Knees, but it was definitely Kwiatkowski; black rain jersey stood out whilst everyone else at Sky was wearing white. Did you see that?

Entering the outskirts of Liege, with about 25km to go, Froome had made contact with the peloton. They had an extra domestique there. He was fine for 2-3km and then was seen on his own at the back with his right arm sticking high up.

Of course, that was BS. No...callled for the team car.

Team car arrived quickly and they took a NEW BIKE OFF THE TOP FOR HIM.

A new bike that clearly, unless Sky are morons, was setup for his specifications.

So, no, I didn't call something wrong.

That was 10 mintues worth of footage. Just Chris Froome.

And yes, he drafted the cars far too much. Kwiatkowski was with him both times.

Matthew Keenan said he was a great rider to have with you! (then why wasn't he selected in 2016?!?!...madness IMO). Not one Sky fan will say that was BS though or political. It was. Who leaves a rider like Kwiatkowski off their squad?

Porte was not shown once in any footage. Despite what Silvergrenade says. Matthew Keenan, as an Aussie can illustrate, is a MAJOR Porte fanboy!!

Keena said Porte stopped as the crash occurred, was held up because it was literally in front of him, but didn't fall and continued. Yes the crash happened, but Keenan said he was fine. So did Robbie McEwen. The few minor replays the director allowed of the crash replay showed this was probably a true statement because Froome and Sky hit the deck BUT those behind them, SOME, not all, didn't go down...they just hit their breaks.

Unfortunately that escalated further down the peloton on the poor road furniture and some like the Cofidids rider on his side on the ground, were clearly hurt.

Only Bardet and Froome were shown along with Taylor Phinney and the front riders...Jay McCarthy from Bora got a bit of highlight along with the Quickstep riders doing rounds. Katusha stopped pulling after the crash.

It would greatly help if people who aren't fans of only one team, reported events accurately.

Chris Froome did call the team car. Chris Froome did receive a bike from that. That bike, unless Sky are super dumb, was clearly his. So the allusion, he rode poorly after because it was not his bike, whilst he had clear cuts on his glutes, is erroneous.

Is it fans trying to make him not look hurt?

Let's see...they quoted him on this thread. Didn't quote Porte in the Porte thread. Yeah, real honest and consistent.

Then they ignore, because they can, that Sky are masters of PR BS.

The proof Froome is not hurt, will be shown on the road.

Fact is, he took off skin and hurt himself. Contador has a similar crash last year. His Tour was done by stage 10. Crashes hurt dude. End of discussion right there.

Ask Valverde. And drop the BS and blatantly disregard for the fact, that I can name over a dozen crashes in GT's by GC riders, where it definitely hampered their chances.

It's called being a fan and being overly optimistic...in the face of an accident. He could be fine!

But you don't know that. Evidence demonstrated by his riding at the time (and the cameras showed predominantly Froome because he is the reigning winner) leaves questions. Froome will answer them...the road always does.

We'll see in the following days.
because he didn't have the form, have you forgot how crap he was last year???

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I didn't see anything that suggested he was hurt. He always looks weird on a bike. It can't be compared to Contador last year because we saw him smash his head and shoulder on the curb.
That isn't to say this won't affect Froome, you never know what such a crash does to the body. But at first glance it looks like he escaped without injury.

The footage showed one BMC fell. Wasn't as dramatic as Sky and Froome, he was just bumped them and fell. And got up quickly and remounted. Since the report said Porte was the only on who fell, maybe that was him. Froome on the other hand lost a skin on his back (he said it in his interview). So that must hurt when you sleep on your back. Either way, a little here and there will probably cost him with his recovery. But time will tell.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

TheYouyou7 said:
I hope you're wrong pal. I want a fair fight...

Not to be rude...

But Silvergrenade is posting in the Movistar thread stating not to be down and out as a Movistar fan.

That's nice.

So, why, why Silvergrenade, do you then state in other threads that you want a race and a competition, but come into the Porte thread and allude, that he has a knee injury?

I saw you posting heaps in the race thread. There is a very clear picture Froome himself shared on Twitter, where he, Bardet, Thomas and others are going down and pulling faces. Was Porte present in that image? He wasn't in the race footage in Australia that was live broadcast; they tend to over exaggerate Richie Down Under!!

Surely everyone in that thread witnessed that!

And right behind them were 2 BMC riders. One was (assuming...but inferring) it was Cardoso.

SBS in their media report said that Porte went down.

That image has a BMC rider with his chest and head not visible (identification is not possible facially), but clearly just avoiding the crash right behind Bardet and Froome by staying upright. That looks like Porte. That means he was exceptionally lucky...if it was him.

Sorry Silvergrenade, but if Froome is not present for the GC fight, then based on last years results, WE WOULD ALL WITNESS A VERY COMPETITIVE AND CLOSE FIGHT.

So why claim you want a fight and a good race?

It appears your estimation of an entertaining and good race, is vastly different to many others on this forum.

Which is fine. But don't mistake the different ideas.

Now...I don't dislike Sky or Froome. But if Froome isn't present...the race value goes upwards for viewing. Frankly Landa is far more interesting IMO.

The fact is, most people on this forum, would argue that no Froome makes the race far more exciting UNLESS Froome is out of shape relative to other years. Then that would be good (many want to see him get whipped). Doesn't mean it will occur. But a crash...the person who hits the deck, should be tested by rivals.

The times from last year prove this. Remove him from first and 2nd through to 5th was fierce and close.

You're asking for one thing...claiming it's good, but ignoring the fact that no Froome, or Froome slightly injured, makes the race, for many, a lot more exciting.

Yes I get there are Sky fans on here. I get some of them, probably want to see the hyped Porte vs Froome fight.

Actually, I just want a good decent GT like the Giro, with multiple protagonists rather than one dude beating the rest. That makes for a good race. 3-4 guys all closely fighting for the win.

And on that note Richie won today. Until he and BMC said he actually fell, Porte and the remaining upright GC boys won. Froome and Bardet took the fall.

Actually, look at the results. Katusha had 5 guys down and out on time (as in minutes and minutes behind). Kristoff miraculously was not one of them. BMC actually did well today. Really well.

Which in contrast with 2016 and protecting Tejay and Richie...it's a big improvement.

Think I am unfair? I'm an Aussie, who said last year, BMC made major mistakes on the road (and I called them as they occurred).

Hopefully everyone stays upright. Skinny GC guys can't afford to take tumbles. Ever. They don't bounce off the road now do they?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:

Race thread for the stage.

Look at the image taken from Froome's twitter.

BMC riders were in the shot. 2 Sky riders on the ground. 2 AG2R boys on the ground. 2 BMC riders with one looking like Porte casually out of his pedals, face not present, carefully avoiding running into Froome and Bardet.

My comparison was the curbing. I remember AC hit that directly. He went into it head first and sideways as the boys today, slip into it legs first.

Stage 2 last year...Porte lost time and was disadvantaged. That time cost him second in the Tour.

A bump...gosh it happened to Cadel Evans in 2010. 2008 he crashed and banged his knee. Say what you want about how that impacted his race, but it matters.

Porte last year, the stage Bardet won, fell off. Made no further moves in the race...

Mollema lost minutes because of that. It rained there too.

Nobody wants crashes and injuries, but the weather and rain impact the results probably more than form can.

You can be the strongest most in form rider and not finish the race.

One person in the race thread had it right...they were going too fast. Drop the roundabout speed by 5-10km and they'd have been fine.

I remember Michael Rogers coming into Barcelona in the rain taking out Heinrich Haussler!! Want to see outrage from Aussies...ask about that. Every day Richie stays upright and leaves the fighting till the mountains...is a win for him.

Then we'll see who has form.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site

rick james said:
because he didn't have the form, have you forgot how crap he was last year???

Clinic talk Rick.

Literally.

Richie improved last year. I love how when Richie goes to win...Froome tries to run him into a barrier. He knew what he was doing at the Dauphine. 2016, last stage, the Sky domestiques rolled off and guess who was blocked and msised out on third overall because Dan Martin had bridge and gapped them?

Porte. His former team mates blocked him.

It's not a coincidence when it keeps occurring.

Did Porte rattle Sky by leaving and then beating them in stage races?

It's possible!

Do I care?

I do when I look at results over a number of days and it's clear Chris Froome will cheat on the road to win. He's a great bike handler after all (or so I keep hearing). Surely he can ride in a straight line in a sprint?

Those 3 domestiques, who peeled off in the 2016 Dauphine and blocked Porte, minus Thomas...all suck hugely this year. All outshone by others.

Porte of course knows this. He was after all, a second place runner up in the dauphine behind Froome one year!

Kwiatkowski, an actual world champion and monument winner, is where in 2017? Actually the only rider who could stay with Froome at this years Dauphine...yeah, strange how you say he sucked in 2016 but this year, he is impeccable. I guess, MSR was a fluke!!

Again, such amazing drops in form and such peaks!

BMC have a lot of issues. But at least, apart from Tejay, their squad is consistent. Their June results were actually really good for them...almost too good.

I'd take a consistent Nicholas Roche, over guys who one season are up, and down the next (it looks more legit)...Kwiatkowski wasn't off in 2016 BTW. His team mates were simply on another plane of existence last year and suck this year.

Well...they did until yesterday!

Probably a good thing Porte doesn't have all those time trialists BMC have who were winning every ITT held in April-June except the ones Dumuolin won in May, here to show how extraordinary Sky were in the prologue...BMC won all of them. Romandie, Dauphine and Suisse. BMC won them all. Convincingly.

And to think...I'm normally highly critical of BMC!!

Check this thread from last year!!

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site

Galic Ho said:
LaFlorecita said:

Race thread for the stage.

Look at the image taken from Froome's twitter.

BMC riders were in the shot. 2 Sky riders on the ground. 2 AG2R boys on the ground. 2 BMC riders with one looking like Porte casually out of his pedals, face not present, carefully avoiding running into Froome and Bardet.

My comparison was the curbing. I remember AC hit that directly. He went into it head first and sideways as the boys today, slip into it legs first.

Stage 2 last year...Porte lost time and was disadvantaged. That time cost him second in the Tour.

A bump...gosh it happened to Cadel Evans in 2010. 2008 he crashed and banged his knee. Say what you want about how that impacted his race, but it matters.

Porte last year, the stage Bardet won, fell off. Made no further moves in the race...

Mollema lost minutes because of that. It rained there too.

Nobody wants crashes and injuries, but the weather and rain impact the results probably more than form can.

You can be the strongest most in form rider and not finish the race.

One person in the race thread had it right...they were going too fast. Drop the roundabout speed by 5-10km and they'd have been fine.

I remember Michael Rogers coming into Barcelona in the rain taking out Heinrich Haussler!! Want to see outrage from Aussies...ask about that. Every day Richie stays upright and leaves the fighting till the mountains...is a win for him.

Then we'll see who has form.

On the other hand Froome crashed last year at stage 19, the one Bardet won, and finished the stage with Thomas' bike by extending his overall lead. Sealed the overall victory next day at Morzine. But yeah, you never know.

To keep it simple Richie banged his knee and Froome took some skin off his butt. McEwen said in the Australian commentary that Porte didn't go down at all but Richie says otherwise ! Bardet also banged his knee. A typical week one crash in the Tour except that Contador avoided it !

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

movingtarget said:
To keep it simple Richie banged his knee and Froome took some skin off his butt. McEwen said in the Australian commentary that Porte didn't go down at all but Richie says otherwise ! Bardet also banged his knee. A typical week one crash in the Tour except that Contador avoided it !

A link to a race report, social media account or something that confirms this would help.

We'll hear about it tonight from the SBS crew if it's true.

Galic Ho said:
movingtarget said:

A link to a race report, social media account or something that confirms this would help.

We'll hear about it tonight from the SBS crew if it's true.

Check BMC's website. There's a quote from LRP about his knee.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Yeah, just unfortunate.
Heres Sophie Smith with Porte:
https://twitter.com/SophieSmith86/status/881547786012983297

Clealry a banged up knee.
The problem is the crashes always effect the riders' race.
Hope everyone recovers in 2 days. :)

Richie Porte:

“I came out of the crash ok but there were a few guys that went down a lot harder. It was a stressful day. It was the first real stage of the Tour and then you get the rain, then it dries up, and then starts raining again. It was a nice one to come through and it’s nice to get the first crash out of the way and get on with it. Hopefully my knee is ok, I have a little bit of a bang on that, but I’m looking forward to tomorrow.”

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Crashes always affect a rider's race. Hopefully though, since it's supposedly a minor injury, it heals up before any of the mountain stages and his team is able to protect him on the flats.

silvergrenade said:
movingtarget said:
Yeah, just unfortunate.

Clealry a banged up knee.[...]
A better view:

https://twitter.com/618Falahey/status/881537916203356165

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
silvergrenade said:
movingtarget said:
Yeah, just unfortunate.

Clealry a banged up knee.[...]
A better view:

https://twitter.com/618Falahey/status/881537916203356165

Hopefully that cut isn't too deep.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Good showing today by Porte and BMC ....they mean business

Somewhat of an overstatement. Porte had a dig and created a bit of a gap but was unable to make the move "stick". He didn't hurt himself to the extent that he lost any time to the bulk of his rivals. Essentially situation unchanged.

BMC prob slightly disappointed that GVA couldn't make anything of the finish.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

dirkprovin said:
HelloDolly said:

Somewhat of an overstatement. Porte had a dig and created a bit of a gap but was unable to make the move "stick". He didn't hurt himself to the extent that he lost any time to the bulk of his rivals. Essentially situation unchanged.

The road flattened out toward the end. Of course as a pure climber he couldnt make it stick which is why lumpy sprint specialists Sagan and Matthews came to the fore whilst climbers and normal sprinters were left in their wake.

Lupi33x said:
dirkprovin said:
HelloDolly said:

The road flattened out toward the end. Of course as a pure climber he couldnt make it stick which is why lumpy sprint specialists Sagan and Matthews came to the fore whilst climbers and normal sprinters were left in their wake.

Am fully aware of that which then begs the question "Why Richie ??"

dirkprovin said:
Lupi33x said:
dirkprovin said:
HelloDolly said:

Am fully aware of that which then begs the question "Why Richie ??"

Seemed strange a GC favorite was doing the lead out for GVA.