• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 133 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Tim Booth said:
yaco said:
Tim Booth said:
yaco said:
That's a good squad for Australia - Will add that Storer,Hamilton and Hindley should not be riding the under23's RR.
?
thought they had announced HAMILTON, HINDLEY, SCOTSON, STANNARD, STORER & WHELAN.

Yes - The three mentioned are WT riders - They should not be allowed to ride in the under 23's.
21 January 2016
Articles 2.14.018, 9.2.013 and 9.2.020 of the UCI Regulations related to the Men Under 23 category have recently been amended to clearly redefine that the U23 category is open to all men riders from 19 to 22 years, no matter their team affiliation.
Therefore, riders aged 19-22 who belong to a UCI WorldTeams are now allowed to participate in both the U23 road race and time trial of the UCI Road World Championships
http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/amendments-regulations-related-the-uci-u23-category/

I understand the rules allow them to ride but i disagree with the rules.

Re:

joe_papp said:
Was it crazy that Porte was most heavily favored to win according to the punters in the week before Vuelta start?

[Screen cap I made of the outright odds:
https://ton.twitter.com/i/ton/data/dm/1030209902545911813/1030209895583375360/gdZlcZ62.jpg ]
Heavily favoured, definitely, but was he ever heavily favoured? I thought of him as the favourite tbh, but when you do that you gotta remember that Porte is in fact Porte and therefore is going to mess it all up over three weeks as per usual. This time, he did it before the race even begun. Chapeau!

Valv.Piti said:
joe_papp said:
Was it crazy that Porte was most heavily favored to win according to the punters in the week before Vuelta start?

https://ton.twitter.com/i/ton/data/dm/1030209902545911813/1030209895583375360/gdZlcZ62.jpg ]
Heavily favoured, definitely, but was he ever heavily favoured? I thought of him as the favourite tbh, but when you do that you gotta remember that Porte is in fact Porte and therefore is going to mess it all up over three weeks as per usual. This time, he did it before the race even begun. Chapeau!

In fairness Porte has not fully recovered from his crash and has gastroenteritis ...I think he didn't want to be at the Vuelta from his interviews...BMC must have made him attend....still looking for their moneys worth

HelloDolly said:
Valv.Piti said:
joe_papp said:

In fairness Porte has not fully recovered from his crash and has gastroenteritis ...I think he didn't want to be at the Vuelta from his interviews...BMC must have made him attend....still looking for their moneys worth
Maybe, but I cannot not think that Porte is just a softie. And soft guys don't win GCs. Its not a great attitude IMO.

Escarabajo said:
yaco said:
Porte needs to toughen up and end his fixation with the TDF - He should be using every GT as an opportunity to achieve a good GC result.
On this we can agree!

I smell DNF in one of these hard stages.

Riders preparing for the Worlds sometimes drop out of the Vuelta early but Porte needs to finish this race and said before the start he hopes to come out of the race in better form so it sounds like he at least wants the kms in his legs. I don't know anyone that would perform well with gastro and no racing since stage nine of the Tour. Porte has learned to be a realist and his own expectations are never on the level of some of his fans and the media. Even when he made it clear before the race started some people still treat his performance as if he is lining up at the start of the Tour. He admitted that crashing out of the Tour took a mental toll. No surprise there. Even Contador got exasperated by constantly crashing. I don't think Porte is mentally soft otherwise he would have wrapped his season already and BMC couldn't have cared less. But he still wants to do well in the Worlds which is a good sign.

Valv.Piti said:
HelloDolly said:
Valv.Piti said:
joe_papp said:

Maybe, but I cannot not think that Porte is just a softie. And soft guys don't win GCs. Its not a great attitude IMO.

Porte doesn't set the odds for the races. Maybe if people had been through what he has been through they wouldn't be making ridiculous comments about him. Even so called hard men succumb to illness sometimes. Porte was even criticized when he won the TDS. No wonder many sportsmen refuse to read about themselves. What is the point ?

movingtarget said:
Valv.Piti said:
HelloDolly said:
Valv.Piti said:
joe_papp said:

Porte doesn't set the odds for the races. Maybe if people had been through what he has been through they wouldn't be making ridiculous comments about him. Even so called hard men succumb to illness sometimes. Porte was even criticized when he won the TDS. No wonder many sportsmen refuse to read about themselves. What is the point ?
I understand Porte doesn't set the odds for races. I was just commenting on the massive disconnect b/w how the punters must've been wagering and the reality of Porte's form, for him to have been so heavily favored at the time when I screen-grabbed the odds.

And Porte is obviously a talented and accomplished elite euro pro. I don't know anything about his character, and honestly don't have a good idea of whether or not he has a history of mental softness and discretionary race abandons. He seems to crash and/or get sick at critical moments, and his GT results since 2011 aren't such that I would've thought he really merited being hyped to the level that he was before the Vuelta.

This wasn't meant to be a criticism of Porte as a person or rider - just commenting on how seriously unrealistic expectations seem to have been raised by the fans who were betting on him for the Vuelta.

Re:

Oliver said:
Now he's saying he has no intentions to go for the Vuelta GC from the beginning. Yeah right, why is he riding then? Can't see him winning any stage in this shape. Will go home early I believe.
Also already signed with Trek. He's imho already fully set for the fresh start (in Trek) mentally (putting ongoing season into backlog)...