• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 135 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

yaco said:
Somehow Richie Porte is captain of BMC for the Hammer Series in Hong Kong on October 14 - This is not a joke.
Hammer Series has team leaders? Who knew? I can't find anything in the description of the Leader role Hammer Sprint or Hammer Pursuit Are they designated to be the 4th man over the line or the first? Does any of this really matter?

TPHqbZL.gif

Re: Re:

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
yaco said:
Somehow Richie Porte is captain of BMC for the Hammer Series in Hong Kong on October 14 - This is not a joke.
Hammer Series has team leaders? Who knew? I can't find anything in the description of the Leader role Hammer Sprint or Hammer Pursuit Are they designated to be the 4th man over the line or the first? Does any of this really matter?

TPHqbZL.gif

It's a worry that you can't see the relevance of the post - One is that Porte should not be captain of anything after his recent performances and that Porte who doesn't want to race will still racing in Mid October.

The Tasmanian is one of the strongest stage racers in the pro peloton, with wins at Paris-Nice, Volta a Catalunya, Tour de Romandie, Tour de Suisse, Tour Down Under and Volta ao Algarve on his considerable CV. After crashing out of this season’s Tour de France in July, Porte returned to competition at the Vuelta a España and will hope to end his time with BMC Racing Team on a high note in Hong Kong.

This sounds funny. :D Actually they will have a good line-up. -> https://www.hammerseries.com/en/hong-kong/news/hammer-hong-kong-team-captains-revealed

But the courses will be pan flat, which is a disgrace for this location.

Max Rockatansky said:
The Tasmanian is one of the strongest stage racers in the pro peloton, with wins at Paris-Nice, Volta a Catalunya, Tour de Romandie, Tour de Suisse, Tour Down Under and Volta ao Algarve on his considerable CV. After crashing out of this season’s Tour de France in July, Porte returned to competition at the Vuelta a España and will hope to end his time with BMC Racing Team on a high note in Hong Kong.

This sounds funny. :D Actually they will have a good line-up. -> https://www.hammerseries.com/en/hong-kong/news/hammer-hong-kong-team-captains-revealed

I doubt it will be pan flat though I am trying to work out the logistics of how you race it in one day - I look forward to attending.

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
yaco said:

Dear Teams,
Please let us have the name of one fairly well known rider who you are fairly sure will be in the Hong Kong event for our promotional purposes.
With thanks,
Hammer

(although this probably ought to continue in a Hammer thread)
Max Rockatansky said:
I thought the entire concept was predicated on a hilly circuit for Day 2.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

Akuryo said:
barmaher said:
You guys are so harsh on Porte. He is a very unlucky rider. Amazing how unlucky, really.

Luck is sometimes a factor for sure, but Porte had so much "bad luck" that one cant help but wonder if he is really just unlucky ...

When you are almost 34 years old and you have one top ten TDF result and no one-day race results at all, clearly, it is not about being unlucky.

He should stick to the Willunga Hill race and few other one week races and keep his mouth shut when it comes to grand tours and one-day races.

How is he even able to convince all his fans and even some team managers that he is a GC or Monument/WC worthy rider?

I just don't get it! And yet, year after year, I read these crazy comments here ... God help me to understand this crazy logic :confused:

Jancouver said:
Akuryo said:
barmaher said:
You guys are so harsh on Porte. He is a very unlucky rider. Amazing how unlucky, really.

Luck is sometimes a factor for sure, but Porte had so much "bad luck" that one cant help but wonder if he is really just unlucky ...

When you are almost 34 years old and you have one top ten TDF result and no one-day race results at all, clearly, it is not about being unlucky.

He should stick to the Willunga Hill race and few other one week races and keep his mouth shut when it comes to grand tours and one-day races.

How is he even able to convince all his fans and even some team managers that he is a GC or Monument/WC worthy rider?

I just don't get it! And yet, year after year, I read these crazy comments here ... God help me to understand this crazy logic :confused:

Maybe most are posted by Richie himself in different guises

Afterall he may not have the results but certainly got the money
6 million euros for 2 years at BMC
2 million a year at Trek

Publicity helps

Yingge said:
He wouldn't be the first rider to be paid well and not deliver racing results to match the salary.

These days its the sponsor(s), and their customers, who determine if a rider is worth what he is being paid.

Right. TJVG was getting well paid for years and not winning anything. At least Porte was winning some races just not grand tours. Thomas was also getting paid well at Sky and at age 32 he finally had a good year. There are quite a few in the well paid, lack of results category.

yaco said:
Max Rockatansky said:

I doubt it will be pan flat though I am trying to work out the logistics of how you race it in one day - I look forward to attending.

it is flat, same course as in the Hong Kong challenge. And they only do the "Hammer Sprint" and "Hammer Chase", one after another

search said:
yaco said:
Max Rockatansky said:

it is flat, same course as in the Hong Kong challenge. And they only do the "Hammer Sprint" and "Hammer Chase", one after another

Yeah I found out the course yesterday - Sprints will be interesting as the finishing straight is only around 200 metres at best and the course has almost two dead turns which will make it interesting for the Chase.