• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 139 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
myrideissteelerthanyours said:
Scarponi said:
Probably a good thing little richie missed Paris Nice, the bloke always gets obliterated by cross winds and probably would have crashed out
I know, right? He won 3 of the 8 editions he participated what a worthless piece of trash I hope he reads this forum and knows hes crap.

He has won it twice, and yes, he would have been absolutely destroyed today and yesterday.

You don't see these conditions each year. We did two years ago. How did it go for Porte then? Badly. Has he ever been on the front echelon of a tough race? Not to my memory. Has he increased his capabilities in nervous conditions the past couple of years? Not in the slightest.

Sorry, 3 podiums. He's more odious than I ever imagined.

tobydawq said:
Scarponi said:
Probably a good thing little richie missed Paris Nice, the bloke always gets obliterated by cross winds and probably would have crashed out
I know, right? He won 3 of the 8 editions he participated what a worthless piece of trash I hope he reads this forum and knows hes crap.

He has won it twice, and yes, he would have been absolutely destroyed today and yesterday.

You don't see these conditions each year. We did two years ago. How did it go for Porte then? Badly. Has he ever been on the front echelon of a tough race? Not to my memory. Has he increased his capabilities in nervous conditions the past couple of years? Not in the slightest.

Also Lil Richie dropped His Holiness Alberto of Pinto 2 years ago on stage 1 in the wind when, in his own immaculate perfection, Lord Contador the second coming of Jesus admitted he was lucky to have avoided crashing out in such conditions.

tobydawq said:
Scarponi said:

2010 Giro

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Lol. That way the bookies will still keep him high!

He will win Tour of California, and instantly he will be one of the TdF "favorites".

And as always, this forum and all my Aussie friends will sing the same song as every year.

... just to suffer through another "our little Richie is the unluckiest guy on this planet".

Oh boy, some things never change :cool:

tobydawq said:
Scarponi said:

Also Lil Richie dropped His Holiness Alberto of Pinto 2 years ago on stage 1 in the wind when, in his own immaculate perfection, Lord Contador the second coming of Jesus admitted he was lucky to have avoided crashing out in such conditions.

We've long known this, but is it now official? :D

Scarponi said:
I said that THIS edition he would have struggled as he generally struggles in crosswinds and brutal flat stages, it wasn’t a specific Paris Nice thing. This bloke could be at the Tour of Rwanda in that standard of winds and talent and I would say the same thing

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

gregrowlerson said:
With Porte in good rather than great form for a change at this stage of the season (and under raced), I am actually starting to get a little bit excited for July. Ten seconds behind on Mount Baldy is a big tick for me.

As you have seen, not much has changed as he was very unlucky once again ... :cool:

Poor guy, I was actually hoping that he will win California so we can build up the TdF hype once again.

Jancouver said:
gregrowlerson said:
With Porte in good rather than great form for a change at this stage of the season (and under raced), I am actually starting to get a little bit excited for July. Ten seconds behind on Mount Baldy is a big tick for me.

As you have seen, not much has changed as he was very unlucky once again ... :cool:

Poor guy, I was actually hoping that he will win California so we can build up the TdF hype once again.

Why haven't you been banned from posting in this thread? :D

Haha, I think that he won't have great hype this year, providing that he doesn't go and do something stupid like win the Dauphne. Just sneak into the top ten there (or in Swiss), with a strong performance on one MTF. Then it will all be about Froome, Thomas, Bernal, Dumoulin, Quintana, the Lotto rider whose name is hard to spell, and Yates. Even Fuglsang and a couple of French riders might have higher expectations! Then Richie can ninja his way onto the Tour podium...

gregrowlerson said:
Jancouver said:
gregrowlerson said:

Why haven't you been banned from posting in this thread? :D

Haha, I think that he won't have great hype this year, providing that he doesn't go and do something stupid like win the Dauphne. Just sneak into the top ten there (or in Swiss), with a strong performance on one MTF. Then it will all be about Froome, Thomas, Bernal, Dumoulin, Quintana, the Lotto rider whose name is hard to spell, and Yates. Even Fuglsang and a couple of French riders might have higher expectations! Then Richie can ninja his way onto the Tour podium...

The slower build up won't hurt him but of course it wasn't meant to happen that way. Illness and missed racing caused that. I'm neutral about Port'e chances at the Tour but a top five would be a good result. Anything better would be a bonus and a surprise. I don't see Quintana as a threat, I think that ship has sailed. Dumoulin, Froome, Thomas and maybe Bardet and Yates should be up there. Don't see Pinot as a real threat and Fuglsang even though in great form has never convinced over three weeks. Uran could do something if he finds his best form. Maybe top five. Mas is still a bit of an unknown quantity re the Tour. Don't see any of the Giro riders backing up and making the podium.

Jancouver said:
gregrowlerson said:

No more hype from me this time.A place in the top 5 would be amazing but not likely considering his proverbial luck.

Porte kinda sounds resigned these days. Maybe the constant disappointments have been too much for him. Still I always think it's better to go into the Tour with some improvement left in the legs but with Porte it's going to have to be quite a bit at this stage. Maybe he's just trying to stay off the hype pages which isn't a bad thing.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Porte kinda sounds resigned these days. Maybe the constant disappointments have been too much for him. Still I always think it's better to go into the Tour with some improvement left in the legs but with Porte it's going to have to be quite a bit at this stage. Maybe he's just trying to stay off the hype pages which isn't a bad thing.
His chances the top-5 the Tour significantly increased due to the unfortunate circumstances of today. Is there any rider at the Tour a peak form Porte fears (other than himself?) I think not...

Re:

movingtarget said:

If you say this after having heard him say something, it could just be his voice.

To me, he has always sounded resigned.

But I heard Chris Anker Sørensen saying that he had heard from sources that Porte did not care that much about cycling any longer, so he may actually be resigned this time.

TRENDING THREADS