• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Thats the point

Exactly so the other 20 odd guys on the Saxo roster need to dope to gain some points and help for Bertie. Instead of just riding with him until the final climb then vanishing quicker than Amelia Earhart.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
You need to go back and watch the 2012 Vuelta. You're not up to speed on who is doping and more importantly...WHEN.

Free tip...wait for the last rest day and see how much Contador and Valverde improve. All three Spaniards were equal before. After they were not. Make no mistake, I think they all got blood bags.

Contrast with Froome. Too much for too long. Still doping, but his and Sky's inexperience with him doping long term hit them. One needs to have off periods. Down time. Froome had been running hot too long.

Note: I don't think Sky will make that mistake again. Either with Froome or Porte. They've learnt how both men respond and function very well by now.
tous dope.

sort of infantile to indict sky.

only relevant debate would potentially be, does skys program, transcend some invisible and ambiguous line, where doping is allowed if it does not show up and test postive to overt cheating because their program is too effective and they are winning everything when it is more stages than a one-day race.

i just hope brailsford is paying his colombians and spaniards a fair wage unlike usps which leveraged their grimpeur ability and arbitraged their salaries.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
leon7766 said:
I still maintain Contador was still gaining benefit from his previous
drug use now this season he isnt .

The best riders dont need drugs to win and Sky have the best .

Yeah that's right. Sky just look in the African jungle and for IP's on the track. Just wait until the Spanish/Italians etc adopt that approach.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Yeah that's right. Sky just look in the African jungle and for IP's on the track. Just wait until the Spanish/Italians etc adopt that approach.

Sky find talent wherever .They then add hard work , grit and determination .No clean stone unturned

May 26, 2009
Visit site
leon7766 said:
Sky find talent wherever .They then add hard work , grit and determination .No clean stone unturned

Grit? wouldn't that be an 'alien substance', lucky it's not on the banned list yet.

thehog said:
What do we know about him? His performances are strange.

Last year could barely keep up on the flat. Now he's gangbusters on the climbs at 450w+

I thought he might have a future but he'll be forever tainted by the Sky team.

No wonder Simon Gerrans got out.

Porte I think is a reasonable TT'er but climber?

What's he doing?

Thanks Hog.

What do we know about him?

He can win every race he rides.

Porte is the complete rider.

Climber. Sprinter. TT'er.

Best soft pedaller I've ever seen.

Happy riding for Froome or Wiggins.

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
You need to go back and watch the 2012 Vuelta. You're not up to speed on who is doping and more importantly...WHEN.

Free tip...wait for the last rest day and see how much Contador and Valverde improve. All three Spaniards were equal before. After they were not. Make no mistake, I think they all got blood bags.

Contrast with Froome. Too much for too long. Still doping, but his and Sky's inexperience with him doping long term hit them. One needs to have off periods. Down time. Froome had been running hot too long.

Note: I don't think Sky will make that mistake again. Either with Froome or Porte. They've learnt how both men respond and function very well by now.

Funny man... Contador made time on the flatter stages that suited him and not J-Rod... The second it went uphill agin J-Rod pulled time back.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Thanks Hog.

What do we know about him?

He can win every race he rides.

Porte is the complete rider.

Climber. Sprinter. TT'er.

Best soft pedaller I've ever seen.

Happy riding for Froome or Wiggins.

What is David Arroyo doing these days? Has anyone told him he can become the best climber and TTer in the world?

the sceptic said:
What is David Arroyo doing these days? Has anyone told him he can become the best climber and TTer in the world?

They've tried. He refuses to wash his hands. And he won't warm down.

If only he'd just use 3/4 moisturising soap he could podium in a GT.

Lance was right. Hard work wins it.

Arroyo was a fluke. Or to put it differently, a Movistar/Caisse rider suddenly punching above his weight when given time in a breakaway.

Also the comparisons between him and Porte at different stages of their careers are rather inane. One was doing his best GT, the other was doing his first.

roundabout said:
Arroyo was a fluke. Or to put it differently, a Movistar/Caisse rider suddenly punching above his weight when given time in a breakaway.

Also the comparisons between him and Porte at different stages of their careers are rather inane. One was doing his best GT, the other was doing his first.

4kfwc2.jpg

Porte looking like he had a few pints the night before.

Looking fresh.

Richie before the start
“Alberto is looking good, as usual, he’s the man to beat. I will try to stay on his wheel, but it’s no easy feat. I will try,” Porte said. “This is one of the hardest races of the year. I’ve only done it once before. It’s a big race for the Spanish guys, so they’re all looking to be on top of their game.”

He's a funny lad

May 26, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:

So Arroyo was punching above his weight but Porte wasn't?

Given the conditions of the stage, wasn't it raining/bad weather? So most guys would be wearing rain jackets, so the peloton probably didn't see the 'White Jersey' head up the road, also guessing in 2010 no one in the peloton knew what Porte looked like including his teammates. By the time they realized that Porte was in the break it was probably too late to pull it back. I seem to recall that break had 40+ guys in it at one point, with most teams having a couple of guys in it.

Also this 'it was his first GT ride' is silly. Jan Ullrich came 2nd in his first GT other guys have won their maiden GT ride, without using a breakaway to gain a high GC placing.

roundabout said:

Not to mention that in the key GC stages of that race:

Montalcino:
5 David ARROYO DURÁN GCE +12"
16 Richie PORTE SAX +1'42"

Terminillo:
17 Richie PORTE SAX +1'22"
20 David ARROYO DURÁN GCE +1'50"

L'Aquila:
8 David ARROYO DURÁN GCE +7"
13 Richie PORTE SAX +21"

Asolo:
12 David ARROYO DURÁN GCE +2'25"
24 Richie PORTE SAX +4'46"

Zoncolan:
11 David ARROYO DURÁN GCE +3'50"
18 Richie PORTE SAX +5'46"

Kronplatz:
16 David ARROYO DURÁN GCE +2'16"
17 Richie PORTE SAX +2'17"

Aprica:
7 David ARROYO DURÁN GCE +3'06"
14 Richie PORTE SAX +5'31"

Tonale:
5 David ARROYO DURÁN GCE +41"
19 Richie PORTE SAX +1'42"

If we compare Arroyo's previous Giri, then these performances (in terms of where he comes on the high mountain stages) aren't too out of the ordinary:

2007:
Montevergine (stage 8): 8th +7"
Santuario Nostra Signora della Guardia (stage 10): 11th +52"
Briançon (stage 12): 11th +2'39"
Santuario di Oropa (stage 13): 18th +1'43"
Tre Cime (stage 15): 11th +6'07"
Zoncolan (stage 17): 27th +4'26"

2009:
San Martino di Castrozza (stage 4): 10th +m.t.
Alpe di Siusi (stage 5): 8th +22"
Pinerolo (stage 10): 5th +26"
Monte Petrano (stage 16): 12th +2'51"
Blockhaus (stage 17): 17th +3'18"
Vesuvio (stage 19): 11th +1'15"

Arroyo wasn't a total scrub. However, he was unceremoniously returned to the area on the very fringe of the top 10 contenders where he belonged in 2011. Arroyo was the perfect foil in that kind of situation. He didn't have a sudden step up in form like Pereiro did and suddenly stay with the best; Arroyo lost time to Basso, Nibali, Scarponi and usually Evans on pretty much every major mountain stage, finishing roughly where you expected him to, only with L'Aquila, he was suddenly in a position to win. He was good enough to make the big guns sweat, and make them make the racing exciting early, but not good enough to ride with them on all the major climbs like Pereiro was in 2006. He also had some depleted domestique corps with Bruseghin having abandoned early, and much of the work on the climbs was done by Jeannesson and Urán. Remember, without that break he's at 15 minutes. In his previous 2 attempts at the Giro he'd been 10th at 12 minutes, and 11th at 13, so if anything he lost more time than expected in the big GC stages. Porte, at the time a neo-pro, didn't show the ability to stay with Arroyo on most climbs, and only on Terminillo did he outpace the Caisse d'Epargne man, however Arroyo at 30 was in the midst of peak years whereas Porte was still learning his craft.

BYOP88 said:
So Arroyo was punching above his weight but Porte wasn't?

Given the conditions of the stage, wasn't it raining/bad weather? So most guys would be wearing rain jackets, so the peloton probably didn't see the 'White Jersey' head up the road, also guessing in 2010 no one in the peloton knew what Porte looked like including his teammates. By the time they realized that Porte was in the break it was probably too late to pull it back. I seem to recall that break had 40+ guys in it at one point, with most teams having a couple of guys in it.

Also this 'it was his first GT ride' is silly. Jan Ullrich came 2nd in his first GT other guys have won their maiden GT ride, without using a breakaway to gain a high GC placing.

At its biggest it had 53 riders in, if I remember correctly. And while, despite being high on the GC, Porte may have snuck into the break unnoticed, you would have thought that Vino, Evans et al knew what Carlos Sastre looked like, and he made it into that break. Quite a few pretty good riders made it into that break. Tondó too, Wiggins, Gerdemann. A few were asked back for their teammates (Androni and Liquigas called their men back), and also both BMC and Astana had two abandons that day which really harmed their ability to pull the break back. By the end of the day you had Caisse and Cervélo still with domestiques on the front, while the big guns behind had toasted all their domestiques, and all the GC men were taking relays (Vino was the first to baulk at the gap and take a turn, but then he WAS the maglia rosa).

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
leon7766 said:
I still maintain Contador was still gaining benefit from his previous
drug use now this season he isnt .

The best riders dont need drugs to win and Sky have the best .

When I see Leon written down, this is what I think of.

16auteb.jpg

Now I know it ain't like this guy (below) and lacking the prominent bone structure and manly chin. Plus he's blonde, the less masculine colour, but Leon S Kennedy is still one bad mofo. Even saved the President once. Failed the second time of course...but I'll ignore that one. So I know you've got a hard act to follow.

Le+Tour+2008+Best+Of+sGUx71yHLAQm.jpg

So be warned. You might wanna read up on doping a lot more OR you face having the forum equivalent of this happening to you.

ScaryRE4Chainsaw-620x.jpg

You should read this piece about Contador by Dr Ashenden. Very informative. AC was blood doping. He never stopped. Never had to. The UCI tried very hard to keep this hushed. Note the year AC was weakest, he had the dodgiest blood values and got pinged for Clenbuterol. Then consider like Valverde, he's always been phenomenally gifted since junior racing. They dope because that is how the game is played. Difference is unlike Porte (who wasn't riding) and Froome, they've always been uber elite good. Here is what you should read to clear up blood doping and Contador. Dr Ashenden will convince you...just read it. It will take a while though so be patient.

http://nyvelocity.com/content/interviews/2012/behind-scenes-contador-cas-hearing-michael-ashenden

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
At its biggest it had 53 riders in, if I remember correctly. And while, despite being high on the GC, Porte may have snuck into the break unnoticed, you would have thought that Vino, Evans et al knew what Carlos Sastre looked like, and he made it into that break.

From what I can recall, Astana, BMC and Liquigas brought it back from 20+ minutes to 13, then Liquigas stopped working on the last or 2nd to last climb. Also as you said Astana and BMC were missing a few guys from their original 9, which made it 'harder' to chase.

EDIT: Sastre was alreay some time back, wasn;t he? Also did anyone think Wiggins was a GT winner/threat?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
tous dope.

sort of infantile to indict sky.

only relevant debate would potentially be, does skys program, transcend some invisible and ambiguous line, where doping is allowed if it does not show up and test postive to overt cheating because their program is too effective and they are winning everything when it is more stages than a one-day race.

i just hope brailsford is paying his colombians and spaniards a fair wage unlike usps which leveraged their grimpeur ability and arbitraged their salaries.

I am confused? The Vuelta for most appearances mid race onwards, Froome looked much cleaner than the Spanish cohorts who made the final podium.

I was just giving a theoretical possible reason for Froome not being on level with the three ahead of him. Think of them as baby steps. Froome was all over the shop in 2012. Sick, not racing, suddenly racing, not racing, back racing and uber epic strong, Olympic medal strong, then down on the past 2 months but still too strong. I simply thought he was going whole hog too long and his body couldn't take it.

Something has to give. It's about TIMING. Always has been. Getting the little things right. Dotting your 'i's and crossing your 't's is what one has to do. Froome was in his first year of mega huge doping. There are always learning curves. Can we say the same for the Spanish guys? Nope...been there, done that. Hence why the finished ahead. Sky IMO have learnt enough to not only bridge any gaps, but extend them to the challengers and their rivals. Hence why they're trying to win everything they enter. They know they can because they have the KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE to pull it off.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Le Baroudeur said:
Funny man... Contador made time on the flatter stages that suited him and not J-Rod... The second it went uphill agin J-Rod pulled time back.

I never mentioned terrain. All I mentioned was that as soon as the final rest day happened Valverde and Contador were both able to demote Rodriguez from first to third on GC.

Spaniards aren't greedy either. Those boys share the glory around. Once they had comfortable time, they let Rodriguez get a consolation stage win. They're not like Sky...they don't have to win everything.:D

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Spaniards aren't greedy either. Those boys share the glory around.

Apart from when cowardly Piti wouldn't accept his ban and dragged it out for a couple of years, denying other riders placings. And I seem to remember cowardly Contadope doing the very same thing.
I'm loving it at the moment, the filthy Spanish getting a taste of their own medicine, it's a beautiful thing to see. Makes me smile every time :D

TRENDING THREADS