• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 134 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2010
Visit site
Incredible, probably the best climber this year so far, better than Quintana.

Hasn't lost any power from his Sky days and has gained the endurance for 3 weeks more importantly.

Re:

Scarponi said:
The way he slided up to Yates out of the saddle for over a km reminded me of that Arnstrong 3 minute sprint to catch Pantani on the Ventoux

Very true but I have a feeling Mrs. Dawg is going to get Dawg to call the UCI and get extra testing on Little Richie. No way could she stand LRP winning the Tour from Dawg.

#notnormal

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

thehog said:
Scarponi said:
The way he slided up to Yates out of the saddle for over a km reminded me of that Arnstrong 3 minute sprint to catch Pantani on the Ventoux

Very true but I have a feeling Mrs. Dawg is going to get Dawg to call the UCI and get extra testing on Little Richie. No way could she stand LRP winning the Tour from Dawg.

#notnormal
LRP may get Kath to challenge cound again this time on behalf of him LRP

Re:

Scarponi said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d581QcZ2eJw

I know the bacteria that were on the floor receiving their sweat got enough steroids to win a WT event, but damn, that was legendary.

The only two performances I can remember that resemble the one mentioned above are Contador vs Rasmussen and Contador vs Froome (Dauphine '14).

thehog said:
Scarponi said:

#notnormal

and if this doesnt happen and Richie gets yellow in Paris, are you ready to enjoy Froome´s defeat a bit? even if by our dear LRP?

I am.

Re:

Scarponi said:

Porte rode the climb 45 second s quicker than S.Yates, but Yates saved energy, when he knew Porte was tearing up the mountain - Porte caught S.Yates with 2.9km to go and couldn't shake off Yates - It was an excellent climb by Porte, but not a superman performance.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

yaco said:
Scarponi said:

Porte rode the climb 45 second s quicker than S.Yates, but Yates saved energy, when he knew Porte was tearing up the mountain - Porte caught S.Yates with 2.9km to go and couldn't shake off Yates - It was an excellent climb by Porte, but not a superman performance.

Yes it was! He gave 50 sec to everybody in the main group on such shallow climb, it was superman performance! It was 7.35 W/kg for Christ sake!

yaco said:
Scarponi said:

Armstrong couldn't drop Pantani either. It was basically a mirror image except the two mountains

Mr.White said:
yaco said:
Scarponi said:

Yes it was! He gave 50 sec to everybody in the main group on such shallow climb, it was superman performance! It was 7.35 W/kg for Christ sake!
This is the key statement. That main group was 20 strong and was made up largely of third or fourth tier climbers at best. Porte destroying Uran, Felline, Ulissi and Kreuziger on the final climb in a mountainous day in stage race, is not really off the charts. He couldn't drop Yates - probably the 3rd best climber in the field (who had spent a lot of energy on the descent) and was fresh enough to easily outsprint him.

TJVG distanced everyone in that group as well - that's how strong it was. Comparisons to Armstrong destroying the best climber of his generation on a HC climb like Ventoux are absurd.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Mr.White said:
yaco said:
Scarponi said:

This is the key statement. That main group was 20 strong and was made up largely of third or fourth tier climbers at best. Porte destroying Uran, Felline, Ulissi and Kreuziger on the final climb in a mountainous day in stage race, is not really off the charts. He couldn't drop Yates - probably the 3rd best climber in the field (who had spent a lot of energy on the descent) and was fresh enough to easily outsprint him.

TJVG distanced everyone in that group as well - that's how strong it was. Comparisons to Armstrong destroying the best climber of his generation on a HC climb like Ventoux are absurd.

Uran is certainly not a 3rd or 4th tier, he's in good form, Contador and Valverde couldn;t drop him on Arrate. There were also Zakarin, Izagirre, Meintjes, Spilak, whole Movistar and certain Chris Froome. Not a weak field for that kind of climb certainly! And that kind of stage. I repeat, Valverde couldn't drop that similar field on much tougher gradients and much tougher day. I would understand maybe if he and TJ tried multiple attacks and shrinked the group step by step. But he dropped them instantly! And rode in the sunset :p It was not normal, believe me!

Scarponi said:
kingjr said:
Scarponi said:
Funny how 1 minute increases to 3 given enough time ;)
He kept going didn't he past Pantani still sprinting
Nah, he set a high pace, but not like he did when catching Pantani, when he was really sprinting on the drops. And even that was not a 'sprint sprint'.

Mr.White said:
DFA123 said:
Mr.White said:
yaco said:
Scarponi said:

Uran is certainly not a 3rd or 4th tier, he's in good form, Contador and Valverde couldn;t drop him on Arrate. There were also Zakarin, Izagirre, Meintjes, Spilak, whole Movistar and certain Chris Froome. Not a weak field for that kind of climb certainly! And that kind of stage. I repeat, Valverde couldn't drop that similar field on much tougher gradients and much tougher day. I would understand maybe if he and TJ tried multiple attacks and shrinked the group step by step. But he dropped them instantly! And rode in the sunset :p It was not normal, believe me!

Had Porte got straight past Yates and won by 30 seconds then you could describe it as a superman performance - Actually Porte was more powerful in the mountain finish of P/N, when he dropped Contador and his ilk easily, and effectively soft pedalled the last 1km.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
It was 4-5% when he caught Yates, not very likely to drop him, although he barely hold his wheel. And no, he was not more powerful in PN, he seized the opportunity there, he was not a GC threat, and went full gas, Contador and others hesitated a bit and he was gone. Probably he was the strongest there also, but this one was ridiculous, he just rode off from others on a rather easy climb.

Re:

Mr.White said:
It was 4-5% when he caught Yates, not very likely to drop him, although he barely hold his wheel. And no, he was not more powerful in PN, he seized the opportunity there, he was not a GC threat, and went full gas, Contador and others hesitated a bit and he was gone. Probably he was the strongest there also, but this one was ridiculous, he just rode off from others on a rather easy climb.

Well you and I have different standards for what constitutes a superman ride.

Re:

Scarponi said:
For what I'd give to see Porte in full flight looking behind him with a Froome Contador Quintana group bridging. When was the last time in a tour 2 guys were even in the mountains let alone 3 or 4?
Last year, Porte and Froome were equally good, only bad luck and mediocre time trials lost Porte time. I actually believe they finished st on pretty much all stages apart from stage 8 over Peyresourde.

TRENDING THREADS