• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rider schedules and targets for 2023 (also rumours and opinions allowed)

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, but that tactic might not work next year. This year, he had reason - up until stage 11 at least - to think that Roglic and Vingegaard were equal threats to him.
They would both be threats big enough that Pogacar can't ignore them in 2023 too, so I don't see why that tactic wouldn't work again. Based on threat level, at the very least. Pogi might have a better team in 2023, which might change things.

They would both be threats big enough that Pogacar can't ignore them in 2023 too, so I don't see why that tactic wouldn't work again. Based on threat level, at the very least. Pogi might have a better team in 2023, which might change things.

Or have learned that when it's two against one, you need to manage your energy!

Still feels very much like the kind of tactic that's likely to only work once.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes, but that tactic might not work next year. This year, he had reason - up until stage 11 at least - to think that Roglic and Vingegaard were equal threats to him.

He didn't have reason to believe that. It was stupid to go after Roglic. It was a bluff that was very easy to call during their attacks and of course even easier now.

If anything, it should work better next year.

But as a Roglic fan and not at all a Vingegaard fan, I'm glad to see them separated.

He didn't have reason to believe that. It was stupid to go after Roglic. It was a bluff that was very easy to call during their attacks and of course even easier now.

agreed with this. Biggest Pog mistake was not to let one of them go and simply wait for his teammates who were 20-40 seconds behind. No way Rog or Vingo goes all the way to the finish on their own and Pog could have worn that one out while not doing any chasing personally himself.

Pog then went and compounded the issue by actually attacking and allowing Vingo to simply follow. It was tactical stupidity probably brought about by overconfidence bred by two years of easy dominance.

Things will likely be different in 2023 and JV will regret not having Rog.

But as a Roglic fan and not at all a Vingegaard fan, I'm glad to see them separated.

Well, he believed it. Or he got carried away. As you say, it was stupid. He probably won't be stupid next year.

And I'm gonna have to take your citizenship!

• Haha
agreed with this. Biggest Pog mistake was not to let one of them go and simply wait for his teammates who were 20-40 seconds behind. No way Rog or Vingo goes all the way to the finish on their own and Pog could have worn that one out while not doing any chasing personally himself.

Pog then went and compounded the issue by actually attacking and allowing Vingo to simply follow. It was tactical stupidity probably brought about by overconfidence bred by two years of easy dominance.

Things will likely be different in 2023 and JV will regret not having Rog.

Well, the main problem was that Van Aert was up the road so if Pogacar did let someone go, that rider would not have to go all the way to the finish on his own.

Reactions: Earns1985
In addition to going to the Giro, it seems the target for returning to racing for Roglic is Catalunya.

Wait you dislike Vingegaard?

• Wow
Fair. He does seem like a pretty passive rider if you read between the lines during a lot of interviews.

He has already implied that he will race (even) more conservatively, if I'm not mistaken. As far as the Tour is concerned, at least.

Could be all talk, but I think he really believes he can win the Tour with relatively short attacks in one or a few mountain stages. I also think he will out-TT Pog.

Fair. He does seem like a pretty passive rider if you read between the lines during a lot of interviews.
You had to read between the lines of interviews for that? lol

Not a fan myself, but i'll say that he surprised me in a positive way in the TDF. I expected him (even) more passive honestly. But if it's true he will ride even more passively from now on, i can only hope this was the last TDF he's won.

• Wow
Vingegaard rode one of the best races I can remember tactically. "Almost didnt attack on Granon?"
He said afterwards he was very reluctant to attack cause Pogacar looked so strong to him.

Guy was breathing through his nose, millions of people with a television screen could see how fckd Pogacar was but and Vingegaard just goes "Hmm I am not entirely sure I should attack yet"

And I also think it was a nobrainer to attack the final 2km of Galibier with Van Aert up the road. Pogacar had done so much work at that point.

He has already implied that he will race (even) more conservatively, if I'm not mistaken. As far as the Tour is concerned, at least.

Could be all talk, but I think he really believes he can win the Tour with relatively short attacks in one or a few mountain stages. I also think he will out-TT Pog.
Do you think Vingegaard raced conservately at this year's tour?

• Wow
He said afterwards he was very reluctant to attack cause Pogacar looked so strong to him.

Guy was breathing through his nose, millions of people with a television screen could see how fckd Pogacar was but and Vingegaard just goes "Hmm I am not entirely sure I should attack yet"

And I also think it was a nobrainer to attack the final 2km of Galibier with Van Aert up the road. Pogacar had done so much work at that point.
I agree, thats the only finger I can put on Vingegaard during that race. Its a no-brainer to go all out on Galibier towards the top and try to win the Tour right then and there.

Actually faking to be in trouble and dropping yourself would have been better as well with Van Aert up the road. That would have been an extremely interesting tactic that we probably never see in pro cycling, but would have been a better move than the status quo. Basically, with Wout up the road, you want everything else than status quo. Then you keep Pog interested and Wout wheels him in a few km before Granon - game over!

TRENDING THREADS