• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riding styles

miniFaustoL.jpg (Hope this works; fairly new at this)

It was said that Fausto Coppi had one of the most beautiful and fluid riding styes of his day. I notice that riders seemed to sit further back than these days, (different frame geometry I know), with a long reach to the bars. Any comments?

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
miniFaustoL.jpg.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Offtheback said:

It was said that Fausto Coppi had one of the most beautiful and fluid riding styes of his day. I notice that riders seemed to sit further back than these days, (different frame geometry I know), with a long reach to the bars. Any comments?[/quote]

Hard to apply fluid power in that position without charring your legs, for one. Aerodynamic considerations and the fact you can change gears easily seemed to be the major influence. You still had some primitive styles in the Lemond era.

El Imbatido said:
Offtheback:

So just make sure you type those bracketed stuff before and after the address. They are called Bbcodes, you'll get used to them pretty quickly.

Thanks mate.
Eric

PS I haven't been suspended yet.. except from the bedroom a few times by the wife

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
What ever works for you .Just remember your hands should not have any waight on them.

Climbing I use the longest cranks and the biggest gear I can push.

No use loosing waight you need it to get you down again.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
What ever works for you .Just remember your hands should not have any waight on them.

If you're figuring out your position, save this recommendation until you're sure you can do everything comfortably at high rpm. That and put in some stage races. Big gears are the last, hard resort to improvement.

Offtheback said:

It was said that Fausto Coppi had one of the most beautiful and fluid riding styes of his day. I notice that riders seemed to sit further back than these days, (different frame geometry I know), with a long reach to the bars. Any comments?[/quote]

about you question: when you sit further back on the saddle, you utilize more your hamstring & buttock muscles, which helps to relieve excessive work/overload on your quadriceps & allows you to generate more power for climbing & TT

the main reasons for those changes are efficiency & aerodynamics- Eddy Merxx set a series of measurements & data for bike fitting-called The Eddy Fit which aims to put the cyclist in the smallest frame & position possibly & comfortably achievable-that meant the handlebar height dropped, while maintaining proper seat height & setback. after that, Greg Lemond, Bernard Hinault, Cyrille Guimard & many others came up with similar bike fittings looking to improve the power generated by the rider while making the position as aerodynamic & comfortable as possible.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
spinning might not help your time but it can really help in the long run

brianf7 said:

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
A good thread. I've always admired the Russians from the St. Petersburg track school, guys like Berzin, Outchakov and Ekimov as really smooth pedallers. Also riders like Sammy Moreels and Stephen Roche. I've never seen footage, but apparently Anquetil was a stylist, as was the pedaller of charm himself, Ferdie Kubler (I think that's him...any help?)

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Koblet.jpg
ercole-baldini.jpg
Gimondi_f8%20reduced.jpg
GilTeamS&M said:
650's? Smaller? Looks like 24 inch wheels! What's the story here?

Don't know the exact size, but in the '50s Cino Cinelli experimented with smaller wheels. He believed they were the wave of the future--smaller, lighter, and more aerodynamic, and that better roads would make them practical.

Regarding the "Eddy fit," I know that Merckx's fit was somewhat unique for the time, but I never heard of him formalizing what he did. As I understand, he was just trying to resolve his fairly tall, lanky build with aerodynamics and getting on as small a frame as possible. And he was more evolutionary than revolutionary, just taking what the tall guys who went before him--Hugo Koblet, Ercole Baldini, and Felice Gimondi, for example--to the next degree.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
It would only be appropriate on the day of his 45th birthday to celebrate the stylish riding of Maurizio Fondriest - we share the same birth date, but sadly not the effortless, silky pedalling style

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Steel4Ever said:
Only from a Crazy Canuck!
They used to call Bauer's bike "The Hog" (comparing it to a chopper motobike).

3880719332_cd36c97dff_o.jpg
If I remember right, Bauer only rode that ridiculous bike for one year, at the end of his career, when he was desperately trying to find mechanical solutions to his loss of physical power. It didn't work--he didn't win anything on that semi-recumbent.

TRENDING THREADS