• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I think Uran still has a chance to podium if he stops bleeding seconds starting tomorrow. He is a minute shy from 3rd place and between 4 to 7 are just within seconds. If he can podium again, that would be a great achievement considering what he has gone through all week.

He still has a chance of podium but I lost some interest in the race anyway. I knew Contador was going to win, but this Giro was designed for Uran and this happens. We know he is doing his best and he is very disciplined. He is just not that good.

Good luck this week. Hope he gets second.

Re: Re:

SergeDeM said:
qwer said:
SergeDeM said:
Miburo said:
Where are the guys who said to me uran is a better ITT than Contador cause he did 2 good ITT?
2014 Uran vs. Top Contador would probably be touch and go for ITT. Contador is a living legend.
top contador??? what are you talking about?
Hasn't he had some years without such a good ITT? ;)
'Top Contador' is more like 2009 TdF, where AC miraculously beat Fabian in the last time trial. Uran Uran wouldn't stand a chance there

Cance > TheRest said:
SergeDeM said:
qwer said:
SergeDeM said:
Miburo said:
Where are the guys who said to me uran is a better ITT than Contador cause he did 2 good ITT?
2014 Uran vs. Top Contador would probably be touch and go for ITT. Contador is a living legend.
top contador??? what are you talking about?
Hasn't he had some years without such a good ITT? ;)
'Top Contador' is more like 2009 TdF, where AC miraculously beat Fabian in the last time trial. Uran Uran wouldn't stand a chance there

Contador won that stage for the same reason that Kiriyenka has won today, a change in wind direction.

He deserved the win today, not that day.

You've really lost the plot, taxus..

The wind direction didnt affect his win in 2009. There was speculation regarding drafting from the motorbikes, not the wind direction.

The wind was a factor in 2010's time trial, though he was negatively affected by it there as well - like today.

Re:

infeXio said:
You've really lost the plot, taxus..

The wind direction didnt affect his win in 2009. There was speculation regarding drafting from the motorbikes, not the wind direction.

The wind was a factor in 2010's time trial, though he was negatively affected by it there as well - like today.

Of course it was, that day they went arround Annecy Lake. Wind chang a little his direction, so in the first part was echat minute more favourable, and at the same time was more head wing for tha last part. so you can say, it is the same, ir is not, in the last part there were a climb and a part between the lake and a mountain, where the wind was a minimun factor at the time contador and other riders as Wiggo, Lance, Andy did. Inj the last part there was a part after the climb where for contador wind was worse that for Cancellara, he lost a lot in that short section.
It wanst a bit influence, like today, but it was.

In Bourdeux one, the wind was headwind, from the left, and for the last ones, Andy, Contador, Purito, Hesjedal, etc... the wind was stronger and a more headwind, that way Contador was far from Tony Martin.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SergeDeM said:
It wasn't a terrible ITT, it just wasn't what everyone expected. Then again, we weren't expecting him to be sick and injured. I think he did OK but he'll be lucky to podium by the end of the GIro.
it was a terrible itt. no doubt about it.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
He still has a chance of podium but I lost some interest in the race anyway. I knew Contador was going to win, but this Giro was designed for Uran and this happens. We know he is doing his best and he is very disciplined. He is just not that good.

wtf are you saying? uran crashed twice and was sick. it's a miracle he can still podium. look where porte is

Ryo Hazuki said:
Escarabajo said:

wtf are you saying? uran crashed twice and was sick. it's a miracle he can still podium. look where porte is

Yes it just has not happened for Porte and Uran but it sounds like Porte might pull out while Uran wants to continue but I still think neither would have beaten Contador who has looked solid throughout the Giro even with his own problems. Uran is still a chance at a podium if his recovery goes well but it sounds like his injuries hampered him in the TT.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

lenric said:
Contador crashed twice too. Uran is simply over rated. Period. Good rider, but that's it.
Still mentally strong, which is remarkable.
Well, what is he going to do? Unlike Richie, he doesn't have the thrilling task of leading the Dawg around the French alpes to look forward to, so he might as well continue. Doesn't take a lot of mental strength to do the only thing you can do.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Re:

lenric said:
Contador crashed twice too. Uran is simply over rated. Period. Good rider, but that's it.
Still mentally strong, which is remarkable.
I don't see how he's overrated. Nobody expected him to win this Giro with Contador here but he's clearly top 5 GC material for any GT he participates in. Hell, he's going to do that here even while being sick.

Urán is more underrated than overrated. I remember past Giro, everyone was expecting him to be dropped by Evans and Aru on pretty much every stage, which didn't happen.

lenric said:
He's top 5 material in any race where there isn't Quintana, Froome, Nibali, Valverde and Rodriguez, otherwise he won't do ****. Clearly overrated.

Valverde and Rodríguez? Not sure about these two. Speaking of longer races.

He is not fully recovered. If that is true then there is no point on being on the race because it is going to get worse this week.

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/18774-rigoberto-uran-ahora-tenemos-que-mirar-hacia-el-futuro-con-una-perspectiva-diferente.html

“Estoy un poco triste porque no he contado mucha suerte en este Giro. No he superado por completo la bronquitis que sufrí desde la primera etapa. Con varios días de lluvia era realmente difícil recuperarme bien de la bronquitis. El accidente hizo las cosas aún peor. Mi voluntad en este punto es más grande que lo que es posible para mí. El nivel en el Giro es muy alto entre los competidores y el curso, lo que significa que se tiene que estar 100 por ciento durante las tres semanas si quiere luchar por la general”, añadió.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Very disappointing Giro.
I'm not a fan of pulling out of a GT so I hope he stays in the race and tries to win a stage.

If they are sick or injured I think the riders are better off pulling out as it makes recovery a lot harder in later races but if they feel they are improving well they can stick with it. At the moment there is no sign that Porte or Uran are improving.

TRENDING THREADS