• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Afrank said:
"we are not like Froome"
Translation
"we will not wait for Wiggins"
:D

LOL I was thinking the same way:D

I hope Froome & his other half interpret his words right-in the sense that he (Uran) is unlikely to demand leadership & create controversy inside the team where there is none, since Rigo-from day one- has bowed to honor his word & fulfill the job he was given for Il Giro as a domestique deluxe for Wiggo- no matter what the press comes up-or the CN forums:D he's 200% behind Bradley.....even at the expense of his own ambitions:(

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Great stuff from Uran, loyalty only ups his value in the market place.

I would not be surprised if Sky get out their checkbooks and keep the Colombians and drop others.

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I hope Froome & his other half interpret his words right

What do you mean? Look at what he said:

“I don’t know what will happen, but [Sergio] Henao and I are different than Froome. We always work for the team and we’ve never had any problems with the team”

"Sergio and I are different than Froome, we always work for the team" can only possibly mean one thing - "We are team players and Froome isn't." It is not a compliment to Froome. There was no need to mention Froome at all - he could have just said he had no issues with Wiggins, full stop.

Anyway, like I said, he seems a very nice and professional guy (more so than either Froome or Wiggins) and I hope he gets his chance here, although it is difficult to see him taking 2 mins from Nibali.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
keithmcmahon said:
Great stuff from Uran, loyalty only ups his value in the market place.

I would not be surprised if Sky get out their checkbooks and keep the Colombians and drop others.

I think by now it should be clear it's not about the money. you think ag2r had the best offer for betancurt? you think chaves, atapuma and duarte make more money in coldeportes than they had in offers from bigger wt teams? quintana was offered tons of wt contracts after he won avenir, but he choose to stay out of loyalty to saldarriaga, in fact it was the reason eh refused to sign for coldeportes and signed for movistar instead

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he spoke basic english already in his unibet days. but he doesn't want to learn it I think. similar with most colombians.

He takes lessons in Vancouver, BC every winter. We had like a 5 minute chat about how cold he thought it was and about whether or not he was training.

Was this the first gt stage by the esabarjos emergentes? The only Colombian i remember winning a stage in recent years is Rubiano

jamesmasters said:

“I don’t know what will happen, but [Sergio] Henao and I are different than Froome. We always work for the team and we’ve never had any problems with the team”

"Sergio and I are different than Froome, we always work for the team" can only possibly mean one thing - "We are team players and Froome isn't." It is not a compliment to Froome. There was no need to mention Froome at all - he could have just said he had no issues with Wiggins, full stop.

Anyway, like I said, he seems a very nice and professional guy (more so than either Froome or Wiggins) and I hope he gets his chance here, although it is difficult to see him taking 2 mins from Nibali.

Agree with this. Uran is being a bit unfair on froome. Very unfair on froome in fact. Froome not wiggins was the one who lost out in the tour, to paint wiggins as the victim is ridiculous.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Was this the first gt stage by the esabarjos emergentes? The only Colombian i remember winning a stage in recent years is Rubiano

Agree with this. Uran is being a bit unfair on froome. Very unfair on froome in fact. Froome not wiggins was the one who lost out in the tour, to paint wiggins as the victim is ridiculous.

Suggests a skyteam split into two factions, wiggites and froomers. Maybe only Porte can cross the divide, froomes bestie but friendly with wiggins.

Game of Saddles. You Win or You Bonk.

Afrank said:
"we are not like Froome"
Translation
"we will not wait for Wiggins"
:D

That is :D

Work for the team: Win a stage.

I am fan of both Rigo an Froome, so it is difficult to say for me, but I think both of them were loyals, and it is good to be ambitious like Froome if you deserve something.

the result: the big potential of Urán has a small track record.

Cyclist is more than a worker, you have to be loyal, but must show character and ambition for yourself.

This is certainly interesting. Urán is all "team team team - Henao and I are team players. Froome can **** right off, the selfish jerk. Wiggins is a true professional and he'll do what's best for the team. Team team team. Good day for the team, by the way, because I moved up to 3rd. Wiggins lost time, you say? Huh, TEAM".

Meanwhile, Wiggins is all "team team team - we'll have to decide what's best for the team, Urán is doing great but let's be honest, he's inconsistent. I'm not. We should do whatever's best for the team, but really we should stand behind me because TEAM".

This might not be a ridiculously and hilariously public conflict like Wiggins vs Froome, but not all is peachy.

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
This might not be a ridiculously and hilariously public conflict like Wiggins vs Froome, but not all is peachy.

All this is is a team trying to make the best of a GT that has not gone according to plan. Wiggins is dealing with the reality and Uran wants the chance of his career. All while the public watches through a microscope.

Did you see Wiggins interview? The guy is downright depressed; the prospect of losing this (and the long term ramifications of that loss) was not what he envisioned.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
jamesmasters said:

The Hitch said:

wow the only thing that's interesting about Uran's comment, the saga between froome and wiggins does get to the other sky's riders. Some is probably pro Froome and some is probably pro Wiggins *I don't mean in physically make an ally, but in their mind, how each of them interpret the saga between Froome and Wiggins.*

It's definitely not unity as the sky management's claim.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
wow the only thing that's interesting about Uran's comment, the saga between froome and wiggins does get to the other sky's riders. Some is probably pro Froome and some is probably pro Wiggins *I don't mean in physically make an ally, but in their mind, how each of them interpret the saga between Froome and Wiggins.*

It's definitely not unity as the sky management's claim.

It will be funny in the Tour, Froom has two men train, Wiggins has another two men train, riding parallel to each other. Wouldn't that be something!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Here's another thought.

Hypothetically, if Uran wins the Giro or at least podium, and he'll decide to stay with Sky, I can guarantee that his attitude will change just like Froome. What does that mean? He wants leadership too for next year Giro :p:p. Guess what? Now, the battle of leadership will be between Richie and Uran. Uran probably feels that he has proven his GT pedigre (if he won or podium in this year Giro). While richie hasn't had any GT yet (it would be a strectch if he can leapfrog Froome in TDF). De ja vu anyone? Exactly. Sky will have so many drama in hand.

but again.. this is just a conspiracy theory :p

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
Here's another thought.

Hypothetically, if Uran wins the Giro or at least podium, and he'll decide to stay with Sky, I can guarantee that his attitude will change just like Froome. What does that mean? He wants leadership too for next year Giro :p:p. Guess what? Now, the battle of leadership will be between Richie and Uran. Uran probably feels that he has proven his GT pedigre (if he won or podium in this year Giro). While richie hasn't had any GT yet (it would be a strectch if he can leapfrog Froome in TDF). De ja vu anyone? Exactly. Sky will have so many drama in hand.

but again.. this is just a conspiracy theory :p

according to Walsh. SKY is definitely divided, Port is with froom, Thomas is with Wiggins. Not sure where Uran and Henao stand.

http://www.newstalk.ie/The-tricky-politics-of-Team-Sky

click the radio button

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
uran and henao stand on their own. btw read this:

"I'll have to speak to Rigoberto tonight. He went all out for the stage. It's just whether he feels now he can go for that GC. There's a time trial. He's quite inconsistent like that; he can have a really good day, win a stage like today and then lose a few seconds tomorrow, so we'll have to see how he feels."

pathetic is not even the word to describe what wiggins says here about uran.

Ryo Hazuki said:
uran and henao stand on their own. btw read this:

"I'll have to speak to Rigoberto tonight. He went all out for the stage. It's just whether he feels now he can go for that GC. There's a time trial. He's quite inconsistent like that; he can have a really good day, win a stage like today and then lose a few seconds tomorrow, so we'll have to see how he feels."

pathetic is not even the word to describe what wiggins says here about uran.

This whole leadership issue between Froome and Wiggins is surely putting too much pressure on the whole team. Also what everyone is forgetting is that Uran and Henao both stopped in stage 7 when Wiggins crashed. Had Uran gone ahead he would be wearing the Pink - who knows !

jamesmasters said:
As for Rigoberto having to wait - in fact, I don't think this has actually made much difference at all. If he had been closer in the GC, Nibali would not have let him go. So it has evened itself out.

Possibly, but he'd be much closer as he gave up 1:36 to help Wiggins and gained :31 yesterday.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
agnoli would not have rode 50 seconds faster if uran was closer to gc, so no. and nibali or no one counters an attack with 8 km to go on a mountain. that is modern cycling

Ryo Hazuki said:
agnoli would not have rode 50 seconds faster if uran was closer to gc, so no. and nibali or no one counters an attack with 8 km to go on a mountain. that is modern cycling
Unfortunately the most likely scenario is that Urán, being a lot closer in the GC and riding for Sky, would have saved himself instead of attacking with 8 km to go :p

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
hrotha said:
Unfortunately the most likely scenario is that Urán, being a lot closer in the GC and riding for Sky, would have saved himself instead of attacking with 8 km to go :p

This. Uran only attacked in a failed attempt to isolate and fatigue Nibali, if he'd been closer in GC then he'd have sat on.

TRENDING THREADS