• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
I'd say he's closer to Purito than Purito is to Quintana (based on how their preparations have been so far), so I don't get your "the big two".

Purito and Quintana are the two best. If they are both fit, Uran and others will fight for 3rd place. It's as simple as that.

Purito won Catalunya, Quintana was 5th. So i don't get your 'how their preparations have been so far'

Arredondo said:
Purito and Quintana are the two best. If they are both fit, Uran and others will fight for 3rd place. It's as simple as that.

Purito won Catalunya, Quintana was 5th. So i don't get your 'how their preparations have been so far'
Quintana is the best. If he is fit, Purito and others will fight for 2nd. It's as simple as that.

Uran has a much bigger chance to beat Purito than Purito has to beat Quintana.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
Quintana is the best. If he is fit, Purito and others will fight for 2nd. It's as simple as that.

Uran has a much bigger chance to beat Purito than Purito has to beat Quintana.

Now you're over reacting again. I know you hate Purito, but in the Alps at the Tour, there were both as good. So if they have their best form all the way into this Giro, it will be a good fight. Purito got a minute out of Quintana in the mountain TT btw, but you forgot that of course.

Quintana still has to cope with the pressure of being a team leader in a GC. That's a different kind of pressure.

Uran is nowhere the level of Purito. I really hope you know that also. Uran always gets his **** beaten by Purito in a GT

What lead you to believe I forgot that ITT? No they weren't 'as good', Quintana was better (In the Alpes and the whole Tour). Unlike Purito, Quintana seems to me to have the mentality it takes to win a GT, not to mention that he didn't crash and got injured recently.

Time will tell, but I doubt you will admit you were wrong.

Quintana can do long range attacks. Purito can't, he'll blow up. Quintana is simply the better endurance athlete, Purito is an explosive rider who has learned to pace his efforts.

On paper, Quintana should be the overwhelming favourite. Uran is indeed a rider of the Purito type, although obviously not as good.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
What lead you to believe I forgot that ITT? No they weren't 'as good', Quintana was better (In the Alpes and the whole Tour). Unlike Purito, Quintana seems to me to have the mentality it takes to win a GT, not to mention that he didn't crash and got injured recently.

Time will tell, but I doubt you will admit you were wrong.

In the past, Purito made mistakes. When the big moment arrived, he sometimes choked. But now i'm certain he's way more mature. He doesn't have a really bad day anymore in a GT (first bad Pyrenees stage was due to a hard crash, not about form or something like that). And he's got the best team at the Giro. Katusha is better than Movistar.

In the Alps, they were as good on Alpe d'Huez (2 seconds was the difference). In the Chorges TT, Purito was better then Quintana. On Semnoz, Purito rode the whole climb at the front just to secure his podium place. Quintana just had to sat on his wheel, so it was quite normal he won at the end.

So Quintana wasn't better in the Alps. That's just nonsense. Overall Quintana was better of course.

The big issue now: is Purito recovered from his injuries? If he has, we will have a fight Purito-Quintana. And it's better for the whole Giro and followers, including you, that this is the case. Otherwise it would be a really boring Giro. Quintana is the favourite, but i'm saying it's a 55%-45% choice between the two.

Purito was afected by a crash before Pyrinees, and Quintana atacked from far both Ax 3 Domaines and Ventoux , but the rest of the Tour they showed they are best climbers than Froome, and The Giro is a race for climbers, so they are clearly the favourites.

But Urán has put time on them, today he could be stronger in the ITT, he showed in Romandia, and as well in the TTT, and he is a very solid and strong rider, he is getting his best age and he is going to show what kind of rider he is.

He can win this Giro.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Arredondo said:

Well, first and foremost, Quintana and Purito has to claw back the time that they lost after 3 days from Uran. We are talking about the guy who happened to moonlighting for wiggins last year and ended up on second place at the Giro. So we aren't talking about some so-so climber who will most likely lost in the mountain that easy. So far, after 3 days, out of the 3 of them, Uran is sitting pretty.

On paper, yes quintana is the best. But he is still has to proof it on the road and he has to claw back his time first (not that it's impossible). So the road to win the Giro is still long. Anything can happen.

Arredondo said:
Uran is nowhere the level of Purito. I really hope you know that also. Uran always gets his **** beaten by Purito in a GT

Uran was working for Purito in Lombardia once, and finally purito crak and Caisse give the leader to Urán, and he could be at the podium. Uran was just 21. today uran is in a good age.
Uran was better than Purito in Oman this year.

About Quintana, he is an amazing climber, but every race is different.. how many times, with Uran in shape and no problems, has Quintana beated Urán?

Taxus4a said:
Uran was working for Purito in Lombardia once, and finally purito crak and Caisse give the leader to Urán, and he could be at the podium. Uran was just 21. today uran is in a good age.
Uran was better than Purito in Oman this year.

About Quintana, he is an amazing climber, but every race is different.. how many times, with Uran in shape and no problems, has Quintana beated Urán?

I guess we could also ask the question, how many times, with Quintana in shape and no problems, has Uran beaten Quintana?

You can compare them head to head here:

http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.php?c=7&id=140292&CompareToId=140787

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Tough to look at them head-to-head because 2013 was a huge step forward for Quintana. He entered the top echelon of the sport quite suddenly, whereas Uran's rise was a bit more gradual, with a bunch of nice results reaching back a few years. During in Quintana's big 2013, they didn't really go head-to-head in many events, as one was starring the Giro and the other in the Tour, so an accurate picture of one vs. the other is hard to get. Until now, at least!

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
uran used to be a monster itt rider (and track) as a junior internationally(2 flat tires cost him the world title in junior itt in 2005). however he lost motivation and training for this discipline in caisse depargne especially. his romancdie itt showed me he truly did work like a madman on his itt again this winter. urans first win as a pro in major european race was also an itt.

Arredondo said:

Like entering the Giro with two broken ribs?

The way he suffered in the TTT and how poorly he did on Viggiano tells me that he indeed didn't have the optimal lead in to the Giro. Uran on the other hand had absolutely no problems, and showed just enough in Romandie to make sure he was where he should be. Quintana also haven't suffered any crashes in the lead in to the Giro.

So do you get now 'how their preparations have been so far'? ;)

~~~

Because of those two ribs, I think even without the crash yesterday, Purito wouldn't have podiumed the race. If that's true, then certainly at the time I wrote it, it was absolutely correct that "Uran has a much bigger chance to beat Purito than Purito has to beat Quintana." You see, it was actually written with Purito's crashes in the Ardennes in mind.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
uran used to be a monster itt rider (and track) as a junior internationally(2 flat tires cost him the world title in junior itt in 2005). however he lost motivation and training for this discipline in caisse depargne especially. his romancdie itt showed me he truly did work like a madman on his itt again this winter. urans first win as a pro in major european race was also an itt.

this just happened

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
@Arredondo

Time to eat humble pie?

Third week Netserk, third week:D

In terms of Purito. Of course his preparation wasn't optimal. But i had the hope he was wise enough to judge his chances correct. I had the hope he was recovered enough. I was wrong, because on Viggiano he showed he was not the old Purito.

If he didn't crash to Montecassino, he would have NOT reached the podium at the end of the Giro. If i have to believe the fact he still had broken ribs. He wouldn't even reached the top 5 in his state. So in fact it was not bad he had to abandon.

TRENDING THREADS