• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 68 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Expecting attack from Uran is like a miracle. Today he had a 100 m attack. LOL. 5 minutes to Uran looks more like 10 minutes.
Well, in his defense, no one was able to gap Pogacar today. Uran's best strategy is to stay close to his nearest rivals and save energy for the TT. Of course if he's strong, he can try an opportunistic go, or follow others.

So I guess we now know why an attack failed to materialize on previous stages? Rigo knows how to maximize his returns. It was unrealistic to expect a devastating attack that dropped Pogacar, Carapaz, et al. I would love for him to get on the podium, but even if he doesn’t, he’s going to finish top five (barring a really bad day), with a suboptimal buildup. That is a great result for a second tier GC rider in the dawn of his career.

Also, props to Higuita for turning himself inside out to pace Rigo.

Rigo is also already 34 and this tour was raced fast. Maybe this year is like the swan song if that generation: Rigo is no longer podium material, Porte fell totally off and even as a domestique was a big disappointment, Froome has been reduced to being the world's best paid TdF tourist by injuries, Nibali can no longer hang with the best and even though he is not that old, Quintana has dropped from being arguably the best climber in the world to a shell of his former self.

It is a bit sad, but it has to happen at some point.

Rigo is also already 34 and this tour was raced fast. Maybe this year is like the swan song if that generation: Rigo is no longer podium material, Porte fell totally off and even as a domestique was a big disappointment, Froome has been reduced to being the world's best paid TdF tourist by injuries, Nibali can no longer hang with the best and even though he is not that old, Quintana has dropped from being arguably the best climber in the world to a shell of his former self.

It is a bit sad, but it has to happen at some point.

Porte struggled with the rain and maybe a crash, he was flying at the early one week races. Froome is not comparable to Uran at all and a rider who is in the podium places heading into the final week is podium material even if he is an outsider.

Reactions: movingtarget
Obviously a disappointing finish for Uran in this years Tour, but I bet if you had asked Vaughters before the Dauphine if he would happy with Uran going top 10 this year in the Tour he would have been estatic.

As others have mentioned, things are only going to get tougher for Uran to get results. Father time is catching up with him. However, I personally think a top 10 was a great result for him and shouldn't be discounted.

Porte struggled with the rain and maybe a crash, he was flying at the early one week races. Froome is not comparable to Uran at all and a rider who is in the podium places heading into the final week is podium material even if he is an outsider.

Well Uran and Froome can be compared as they are from the same generation of cyclists. Obviously the circumstances surrounding their career path at this point are not comparable.

As for Porte: Well, we cannot look into the body of minds of the athletes and can only go by what we have heard and what we know. Maybe Porte was ill or injured but as far as I am aware of nothing of the likes was communicated by his team. He did not give the impression of discomfort. I think everyone can agree that his tour was a colossal disappointment.

I think we can add Thomas and Fugelsang to the list of older cyclists who will have a hard time to find a way back to the top.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well Uran and Froome can be compared as they are from the same generation of cyclists. Obviously the circumstances surrounding their career path at this point are not comparable.

As for Porte: Well, we cannot look into the body of minds of the athletes and can only go by what we have heard and what we know. Maybe Porte was ill or injured but as far as I am aware of nothing of the likes was communicated by his team. He did not give the impression of discomfort. I think everyone can agree that his tour was a colossal disappointment.

I think we can add Thomas and Fugelsang to the list of older cyclists who will have a hard time to find a way back to the top.
Fuglsang was blaming his covid vaxx, said the sude affects were quite bad but Fuglsang hasn't even been a regular top 10 rider in grand tours. Two top 10s in 14 attempts ? Thomas like Porte just can't seem to stop hitting the deck and many times its his own fault especially when he goes down on descents when no one else does. but Porte seemed to lose interest in the race after the first week when he lost big time. Even his regular habit of putting the hurt on people as a mountain domestique didn't happen this year. Really the first TT was his only really good performance in the race and on the Ventoux he was less impressive than Kwia. Thomas seemed to be banged up more than Porte but TGH and Porte never really seemed to come to grips with their support of Carapaz not like they used to for Froome anyway. Consistency has always been an issue for Uran which is why he doesn't have many podiums. I always saw him as more of a possible top five rider than a regular podium rider. But he did have some illness and a light build up this year and he faded badly in the third week.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTA3HZRl97m/

Rigoberto Urán caught everyone in a store as a patch: he made them believe it was not him

Colombian cyclist Rigoberto Urán continues his training in the department of Antioquia after completing his participation in the Tokyo Olympic Games where he won two Olympic diplomas.

This Wednesday, August 25, while he was completing one of his tours, Urán recorded a funny moment on his social networks with some people who did not recognize him, but had the impression that he was Rigoberto Urán.

While taking a break from work to have a coffee, the cyclist took a break at a store in the municipality of Abejorral, Antioquia. In this establishment, some people identified him and told him that he was the recognized runner, however, he “hesitated” by saying that he was someone very similar.

Even the subjects of the store made a bet to define the situation. However, Urán remained firm in his position.

Despite the joke, before leaving the place, Rigoberto Urán revealed the truth to the people, who smiled and enjoyed the moment.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CTA3HZRl97m/

Rigoberto Urán caught everyone in a store as a patch: he made them believe it was not him

Colombian cyclist Rigoberto Urán continues his training in the department of Antioquia after completing his participation in the Tokyo Olympic Games where he won two Olympic diplomas.

This Wednesday, August 25, while he was completing one of his tours, Urán recorded a funny moment on his social networks with some people who did not recognize him, but had the impression that he was Rigoberto Urán.

While taking a break from work to have a coffee, the cyclist took a break at a store in the municipality of Abejorral, Antioquia. In this establishment, some people identified him and told him that he was the recognized runner, however, he “hesitated” by saying that he was someone very similar.

Even the subjects of the store made a bet to define the situation. However, Urán remained firm in his position.

Despite the joke, before leaving the place, Rigoberto Urán revealed the truth to the people, who smiled and enjoyed the moment.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Rigo is awesome. But what's the deal with his kit? I always see him pimping his brand on social but dont these pros have a responsibility or requirement to wear their pro sponsors kit when they are out riding/training/promoting?

It doesn't matter to me, but i find it odd that Rigo is the only pro (im aware of) that does this, especially to this extent.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS