• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riis close to Collapse after Contador 'surprise'?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
neineinei said:
Hamilton has given new information in an interview with the Danish News Agency Ritzau. He says he, Riis and Fuentes met in a hotel room in Madrid, probably in April, in either 2002 or 2003. Hamilton doesn't remember which year, but it was after the Tour of the Basque Country in 2002 or 2003.

"- Der var én gang, jeg var på et hotelværelse med Bjarne Riis, Eufemiano Fuentes - og mig selv. Jeg ved de mødtes. Jeg så det med mine egne øjne. Du kan tro det, hvis du vil, og hvis du ikke gør, så gør du ikke. Men det er sandheden. Måske har Bjarne glemt det. Han kan sige, hvad han har lyst til, siger Tyler Hamilton til Ritzau."

"- There was one time I was in a hotel room with Bjarne Riis, Eufemiano Fuentes - and myself. I know they met. I saw it with my own eyes. You can believe it if you want, and if you do not, then you do not. But it's the truth. Maybe Bjarne forget it. He can say what he wants, says Tyler Hamilton to Ritzau." (Google translate)

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article1822055.ece Danish

http://translate.google.no/translat...trabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article1822055.ece Google translate

Riis counter: Yes I was in that room, and I have not wanted to talk about it due do the difficult situation Eufemio is in. He is from a very Catholic family, and what really happened in that room is difficult for him to acknowledge in public. Tyler knows what we did, I have told my wife, Tyler should come clean with his wife, and not act like it had anything to do with doping.

That would be an interesting defense by Riis.:D

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
ToreBear said:
Riis counter: Yes I was in that room, and I have not wanted to talk about it due do the difficult situation Eufemio is in. He is from a very Catholic family, and what really happened in that room is difficult for him to acknowledge in public. Tyler knows what we did, I have told my wife, Tyler should come clean with his wife, and not act like it had anything to do with doping.

That would be an interesting defense by Riis.:D

That would be hilarious defense

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
JPM London said:
He wouldn't - and I doubt that it was a serious point from Tore.

I'm guessing more a quick joke from someone impatiently awaiting the next real chapter of the continuing saga - am I right, Tore? :)

Yes, this was confirmed to me via PM - just his attempt at humour. Phew! :D

Yes it was humor.:eek:

Since Riis has said he has never met Fuentes, he would need to turn an obvious lie about doping into a story so crazy that it had to be true and then put Tyler Hamilton on the back foot.

Riis covering up a gay orgy between the 3 of them would be so far out there that it would have to be true.:D

Warning! Don't create images in your mind.

To late?

Hope you had a bucket close by.;)

Anyway, It will be interesting to see if Riis tells the whole truth, when he does it, and what the whole truth is. The Danish media are after him, and I don't think they will let go.

Some serious talk about the criticism of Bjarne Riis

Criticism of Bjarne Riis after new doping accusations goes a long way incomprehensible.

It feels Anti Doping Denmark chairman, law professor Jens Evald from Aarhus University.

There is nothing to make a case of when claims are not backed by evidence. They lack, says doping hunter.

Hamilton's book may well be the truth, but the problem is that very few people know the truth.
Therefore, as a neutral observer relate to the information provided, and not just take for granted that it fits what Hamilton says.
Soberly must say that the book is so far not backed by any evidence. Although it sounds credible, there is nothing concrete to go after.

More:
http://politiken.dk/sport/cykling/ECE1748642/dopingjaeger-kritik-af-riis-er-uforstaaelig/

jyhjyh said:
Criticism of Bjarne Riis after new doping accusations goes a long way incomprehensible.

It feels Anti Doping Denmark chairman, law professor Jens Evald from Aarhus University.

There is nothing to make a case of when claims are not backed by evidence. They lack, says doping hunter.

Hamilton's book may well be the truth, but the problem is that very few people know the truth.
Therefore, as a neutral observer relate to the information provided, and not just take for granted that it fits what Hamilton says.
Soberly must say that the book is so far not backed by any evidence. Although it sounds credible, there is nothing concrete to go after.

More:
http://politiken.dk/sport/cykling/ECE1748642/dopingjaeger-kritik-af-riis-er-uforstaaelig/

Hmmm. No evidence?

Not like Frank Schleck or Basso were also linked in any way to Operacion Puerto, right?

Not like Basso took a vacation from cycling for that, right?

Not at all.

And, as far as Riis himself, even Wikipedia has that story:

"... police in Italy found evidence that Riis may have been among riders treated with EPO in 1994 and 1995 by medical researchers under Professor Francesco Conconi at the University of Ferrara, which resulted in prosecutions against Conconi and also involved Michele Ferrari.[15] Files used in the court case apparently showed fluctuations in Riis' hematocrit from 41% to 56.3%.

On 21 May 2007, Riis' former Telekom-team mate Bert Dietz admitted that he had used doping during his Telekom-time.[17] This prompted other former team mates, Christian Henn and Udo Bölts, and two former team doctors, to admit their involvement in doping.[18] On 24 May, three other team mates Rolf Aldag, Erik Zabel and Brian Holm confessed.[19]
Following this series of confessions, on May 25, 2007 Riis issued a press release that he also had made "mistakes" in the past,[20] and in the following press conference confessed to taking EPO, growth hormone and cortisone for 5 years, from 1993 to 1998, including during his victory in the 1996 Tour de France ..."

Nope, no ties to any doping for Mr. 60% or any of his riders. None at all.

Dave.

D-Queued said:
Hmmm. No evidence?

Not like Frank Schleck or Basso were also linked in any way to Operacion Puerto, right?

Not like Basso took a vacation from cycling for that, right?

Not at all.

........... snipped a lot of Wiki stuff about Riis and his PEDs

Yes, but the question is whether Riis was involved or not.

And according to the Wiki stuff, Riis has admitted that he used PEDs.

roundabout said:
Ehehehe. "Doping hunter".

I see a guy who has zero initiative and is looking for every excuse available not to go after Riis.

Spain-Luxembourg-Denmark. The unholy trinity.

Yeah I don't know why they call Evald a dopinghunter :)

You forgot USA in the unholy four-gang :D

But: Opinions are like noses, everybody has one ;)

jyhjyh said:
Yeah I don't know why they call Evald a dopinghunter :)

You forgot USA in the unholy four-gang :D

But: Opinions are like noses, everybody has one ;)

Yes, I forgot about USA. Don't know what ever happened to that Armstrong case. Was there even a case?

And who is to say that had the final decision to ban Rasmussed been down to the Danes instead of Monaco that they wouldn't have looked for every available loophole like they did with the other whereabouts forgetting Rasmussen?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
On 21 May 2007, Riis' former Telekom-team mate Bert Dietz admitted that he had used doping during his Telekom-time. This prompted other former team mates, Christian Henn and Udo Bölts, and two former team doctors, to admit their involvement in doping. On 24 May, three other team mates Rolf Aldag, Erik Zabel and Brian Holm confessed.
Following this series of confessions, on May 25, 2007 Riis issued a press release that he also had made "mistakes" in the past...

So Riis was only the fourth or fifth ex-T-mobiler to confess?
JV probably wasn't aware of that when he stated this:
without Kimmage, without Frankie [Andreu], without Floyd [Landis], Tyler [Hamilton], without Jorg Jaksche, [Bjarne] Riis, you can go on and on, without all these people, the op-ed I wrote and the impact I feel like it’s having...
http://www.bicycling.com/garmin-ins...nathan-vaughters-talks-doping-reform?page=0,0

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
You may have overlooked this part:

Dave.

it doesn't change the fact that JV explicitly mentions Riis as having paved the way for JV's own anti-doping admission. that doesn't really do justice to the facts, to say the least, one fact being that Riis would not have confessed if half of his former T-mobile team hadn't done it before him. He confessed because he would have looked like an utter fool if he hadn't. not sure why JV feels a need to praise that. On the other hand, it nicely matches JV's silence on other matters currently playing at the doping front.

sniper said:
it doesn't change the fact that JV explicitly mentions Riis as having paved the way for JV's own anti-doping admission. that doesn't really do justice to the facts, to say the least, one fact being that Riis would not have confessed if half of his former T-mobile team hadn't done it before him. He confessed because he would have looked like an utter fool if he hadn't. not sure why JV feels a need to praise that. On the other hand, it nicely matches JV's silence on other matters currently playing at the doping front.

You are reading too much into it. I did not take it a as praise, but just as it is. Maybe he mentioned Riis because it is big and well.known name compared Christian Henn for instance.