• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rio 2016 Olympic Road Race and Time Trial courses

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
The winner will come from someone who could be a Top 8 in a TdF mountain finish. I didnt expect Martin could climb so well at this level, but now I also consider him a contender.

Alaphillipe, Sagan, Mathews, Van Avermaet, Gilbert, Kwiatkowski, Gerrans, Wellens, EBH, Cancellara have no chances...

Hyman said:
The winner will come from someone who could be a Top 8 in a TdF mountain finish. I didnt expect Martin could climb so well at this level, but now I also consider him a contender.

Alaphillipe, Sagan, Mathews, Van Avermaet, Gilbert, Kwiatkowski, Gerrans, Wellens, EBH, Cancellara have no chances...

Alaphilippe is a really different rider from the others you quoted. He climbs very well on short and steep climbs, far better than Sagan Matthews and others, look at his dauphiné or tour of california... He doesn't like big mountain stages but I think the olympic race suits him very well. Even if he loses a bit of time in the climb, he should be able to come back with the downhill which seems quiet difficult. For me he's one of the big favorite.

Hyman said:

Hahaha, you believe there is a course on which Wellens can't win :lol:
;)

manolo57 said:
Hyman said:

Alaphilippe is a really different rider from the others you quoted. He climbs very well on short and steep climbs, far better than Sagan Matthews and others, look at his dauphiné or tour of california... He doesn't like big mountain stages but I think the olympic race suits him very well. Even if he loses a bit of time in the climb, he should be able to come back with the downhill which seems quiet difficult. For me he's one of the big favorite.

Bardet is a much much better bet for Rio than Ala

Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
BigMac said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
Uran should be Colombias first pick, he's by far their best one day racer.

Agreed.

Utan's form has been atrocious ...Henao is in a far better position to get a result
I'm guessing depending on day form and the way the race is being ridden it's Chaves/Henao up that final climb as plan x, Uran/Pantano on a reduced bunch kick as plan y.

HelloDolly said:
manolo57 said:
PremierAndrew said:
Bardet is a much much better bet for Rio than Ala

Maybe, but Bardet can't sprint. I think it's a huge problem in such a race.

Its will not be won from bunch sprint ....it will be won by a very good climber/descender and from a group of 3/4

I know haha, but even in a group of 3/4 Bardet will know some difficulties to win the sprint.

And Australia has replaced Gerrans with Simon Clarke. The 4th rider will come fron from Edmondson,Hepburn or Borbridge who are riding on the track. This is far from satisfactory as these three guy will be lucky to finish the race.

It's well known in Aussie circles that CA has little time for Porte which is shown in the selection of the squad. And why Porte can never ride fir OBE.

Re:

yaco said:
And Australia has replaced Gerrans with Simon Clarke. The 4th rider will come fron from Edmondson,Hepburn or Borbridge who are riding on the track. This is far from satisfactory as these three guy will be lucky to finish the race.

It's well known in Aussie circles that CA has little time for Porte which is shown in the selection of the squad. And why Porte can never ride fir OBE.

A number of track riders will ride the road race, and most will DNF in the neutral zone. It's a popular loophole.

Re:

yaco said:

And is that all CA's fault ?? Richie is exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. He's not a medal chance in either event; lets be honest, the "Porte is an elite TTer" is one of the greatest snowjobs of all time. He's an above average GT TTer but nowhere near the quality of the elite TTers or even the best GC TTers.

In all honesty, it would seem that CA has decided to "triage" the men's road for Rio and quite understandably. The TT course is too tough for Dennis and Richie isn't good enough. Neither of them are realistic candidates in the RR and the course is too hard for the best AUS one-day men.

Personally I'd have liked to have seen Howson given the 4th berth as he is young, showing increasing capacity in the mountains as seen by his grunt work at both Vuelta & Giro; has a good engine & might sneak under most teams guard if he got in a break. Maybe he went very deep at Giro but I'd have strongly considered him.

Re: Re:

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

And is that all CA's fault ?? Richie is exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. He's not a medal chance in either event; lets be honest, the "Porte is an elite TTer" is one of the greatest snowjobs of all time. He's an above average GT TTer but nowhere near the quality of the elite TTers or even the best GC TTers.

In all honesty, it would seem that CA has decided to "triage" the men's road for Rio and quite understandably. The TT course is too tough for Dennis and Richie isn't good enough. Neither of them are realistic candidates in the RR and the course is too hard for the best AUS one-day men.

Personally I'd have liked to have seen Howson given the 4th berth as he is young, showing increasing capacity in the mountains as seen by his grunt work at both Vuelta & Giro; has a good engine & might sneak under most teams guard if he got in a break. Maybe he went very deep at Giro but I'd have strongly considered him.

Gerrans should never have been selected for the Olympics as he offers little to the team. I have no problem with Australia prioritising the TT as I would do the same.But at the same time you can't choose Gerrans as the third rider when one of the track riders will double up as the 4th rider for the RR. Nothing wrong with a Howson,McCarthy, Sunderland or McCarthy or similar to be riders 3 and 4.

To be honest CA has disrespected Australian pro cyclists in their initial selection of The Olympic RR squad.

My understanding is Ewan will be the protected rider for the World Championship RR. Still think the World's may be a chap shoot because of possible hot conditions.

TRENDING THREADS