• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Robert Millar

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Always enjoy reading Robert's articles and I thought this was right on the money. He's authored a couple of articles in Le Rouleur which are great reads BTW.
Ryan

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
BasqueFromThe Past said:
A unicorn pooping cupcakes is not a miracle, it's just a unicorn pooping cupcakes.

I never stated that a unicorn pooping cupcakes would be considered a miracle. Only that I believe that they do.

It's still sad you don't believe in miracles...

Millar's Blog - blah blah blah.....how do we know what the human body is capable of - usual BS.

Maybe the key problem is the way in which the message has been presented by Sky. The Giro motorhome, the best of everything, bigger trucks, vans, posher cars and more back-up than everyone else.

well worth a read - the blog title isnt being updated but the writing is.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
Millar's Blog - blah blah blah.....how do we know what the human body is capable of - usual BS.

Maybe the key problem is the way in which the message has been presented by Sky. The Giro motorhome, the best of everything, bigger trucks, vans, posher cars and more back-up than everyone else.

He's right though, no one likes a dominant team/rider and hate the team even more if they are big and flashy when doing it

gazr99 said:
Cycle Chic said:

He's right though, no one likes a dominant team/rider and hate the team even more if they are big and flashy when doing it

god - how tiring to keep hearing this drivel - that all the commotion is due to jealousy.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gazr99 said:
Cycle Chic said:

On top of the flashiness and rubbing people's noses in it.

I think that people are not liking the fact that it is Sky, a British team and the UCI president in English. People remember the special relationship a Texan had with UCI presidents and they are seeing it replicated again.

Also Sky is not going about their business in a quiet dominant fashion, but in a loud brash manner topped with arrogance.

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
gazr99 said:
Cycle Chic said:

On top of the flashiness and rubbing people's noses in it.

I think that people are not liking the fact that it is Sky, a British team and the UCI president in English. People remember the special relationship a Texan had with UCI presidents and they are seeing it replicated again.

Also Sky is not going about their business in a quiet dominant fashion, but in a loud brash manner topped with arrogance.

Loud brash manner? Seriously? Taking out times they are answering direct questions do you have an example?

Last year was fine when they had some thing to cheer about with Péraud, Bardet and Pinot all riding near the front but this time around life's not fair and something must be wrong. There is an us-and-them attitude.

Millars latest is that the French are jealous and have a hate campaign against Froome. What the hell are Cycling News giving this clown any page space for ???

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
Last year was fine when they had some thing to cheer about with Péraud, Bardet and Pinot all riding near the front but this time around life's not fair and something must be wrong. There is an us-and-them attitude.

Millars latest is that the French are jealous and have a hate campaign against Froome. What the hell are Cycling News giving this clown any page space for ???

Reasonable, I have a feeling the French would quite like to have a Tour winner soon, so some jealousy and bitterness is to be expected. As is some taking it too far.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Tommy79 said:
Cycle Chic said:

Reasonable, I have a feeling the French would quite like to have a Tour winner soon, so some jealousy and bitterness is to be expected. As is some taking it too far.

But it's not a France v Froome/Sky issue. He's being questioned by people from all over. This is reminiscent of Armstrong. Defend yourself by blaming everything on the bitter French and avoiding the actual issues. I presume Kimmage, Rasmussen, Ross Tucker and the rest are honorary Frenchmen when it comes to doping.

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

MartinGT said:
I was speaking to a friend yesterday and this came up.

Their flashy Range rovers for the classics, their flash Jags & RVs. Its in your face and people dont like that.

I expect they drive what they are given. British team.British cars (well.....sort of British)

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Pierrot le Fou said:
Tommy79 said:
Cycle Chic said:

But it's not a France v Froome/Sky issue. He's being questioned by people from all over. This is reminiscent of Armstrong. Defend yourself by blaming everything on the bitter French and avoiding the actual issues. I presume Kimmage, Rasmussen, Ross Tucker and the rest are honorary Frenchmen when it comes to doping.

Sounds like it is the French mainstream media he is addressing, don't think it is quite so mainstream in other countries.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Tommy79 said:
Pierrot le Fou said:
Tommy79 said:
Cycle Chic said:

Sounds like it is the French mainstream media he is addressing, don't think it is quite so mainstream in other countries.

But surely the fact that it is being questioned in lots of other countries by lots of other people is proof that this isn't a French issue. And the likes of Robert Millar, David Walsh etc trying to blame it on the French being bitter is missing the point, quite spectacularly.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

wendybnt said:
MartinGT said:
I was speaking to a friend yesterday and this came up.

Their flashy Range rovers for the classics, their flash Jags & RVs. Its in your face and people dont like that.

I expect they drive what they are given. British team.British cars (well.....sort of British)

Jaguar Land Rover are Indian, not British.

Pierrot le Fou said:
But surely the fact that it is being questioned in lots of other countries by lots of other people is proof that this isn't a French issue. And the likes of Robert Millar, David Walsh etc trying to blame it on the French being bitter is missing the point, quite spectacularly.

It seems like people are putting words in RMs mouth. He seems to be specifically addressing the fact that people on the roadside are being whipped up by the French media. He isn't saying it is only the French who are questioning the performances, he's saying that it is a French race, with the majority of roadside fans being French, getting their information from French news that are happy to cast doubt by employing unrepentant dopers who bad mouth riders and don't even have the strength of character to stand up and be counted when questioned on it.

I don't see anywhere in the article where he says that it's just the French media. He lays blame on the French media in particular, but I think that's fair as they hold the majority of influence over roadside fans.

Whether he is right or not I don't know, but it seems unfair to accuse him of something he hasn't specifically stated. It's the usual internet thing of attacking something you believe is implied and that's unfair. You'd be better off pointing out how the French media are doing good investigate journalism (are they? I don't know) and attacking his basic premise that they are just whipping up anger through jealousy.

King Boonen
[quote.....I don't see anywhere in the article where he says that it's just the French media. He lays blame on the French media in particular, but I think that's fair as they hold the majority of influence over roadside fans.

Whether he is right or not I don't know, but it seems unfair to accuse him of something he hasn't specifically stated. It's the usual internet thing of attacking something you believe is implied and that's unfair..[/quote]

Robert Millar
Sporting contests are meant to bring together, educate, and celebrate, which is all very French but they and some of the other traditional cycling countries seem to be having a hard time with their heroes being dictated to at this Tour de France.

NO - Robert Millar is having a go at EUROPE ! not just France.

Cycle Chic said:
King Boonen
.....I don't see anywhere in the article where he says that it's just the French media. He lays blame on the French media in particular, but I think that's fair as they hold the majority of influence over roadside fans.

Whether he is right or not I don't know, but it seems unfair to accuse him of something he hasn't specifically stated. It's the usual internet thing of attacking something you believe is implied and that's unfair..

Robert Millar
Sporting contests are meant to bring together, educate, and celebrate, which is all very French but they and some of the other traditional cycling countries seem to be having a hard time with their heroes being dictated to at this Tour de France.

NO - Robert Millar is having a go at EUROPE ! not just France.

Not sure of your point?

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
YOU EUROS CANNOT COPE WITH THE FACT THAT BRITS DOPE BETTER!! FIRST WE REFUSED TO DOPE AND THAT MADE US BETTER HUMANS THAN YOU. NOW THAT WE CHOSE TO DOPE WE ARE BETTER THAN YOU AT THAT AS WELL!! SORE LOSERS!!!