• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roger Clemens Trial

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The prosecution won't be sending any chocolates to Chez Pettite's today. Clemens must have been humming along to the Jonas Brothers his whole way home.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
LMAO

Beer cans are for cig...but's wtf was he doing holding onto something like that?

Novits sounds like a dumb azz on this and the pros... look like and perform like a bunch of clinic dwellers.

JRTinMA said:
It's bull**** they can't cross examine McNamee about his past, including the sexual assault investigation. He has a questionable past and it should be exposed. Total waste of taxpayers money as well.

Itshouldbeover

Clemens should never have lied to Congress.
Heshouldbefoundguilty

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
It's bull**** they can't cross examine McNamee about his past, including the sexual assault investigation. He has a questionable past and it should be exposed. Total waste of taxpayers money as well.

Itshouldbeover

As an American taxpayer, I disagree. Best money I've seen my tax dollars used for since Novitzky's trip to Lyon.

BroDeal said:
It can easily be over. All Clemens needs to do is stop lying. Same goes for Armstrong.

It's just stupid, he lied about using peds in a game full of dopers. Let the guy get on with living his life, he wasn't out there promoting how clean he was or selling hope to cancer survivors. He played by the same rules as all the others.

Reminds me of a poster once that tried to start new on the forum, assumed a new identity and even dropped British slang to cover his tracks. Guy just wanted to get back to posting after he swore he never would again so he created an alt and lied about his past. It happens.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
It's just stupid, he lied about using peds in a game full of dopers. Let the guy get on with living his life, he wasn't out there promoting how clean he was or selling hope to cancer survivors. He played by the same rules as all the others.

Reminds me of a poster once that tried to start new on the forum, assumed a new identity and even dropped British slang to cover his tracks. Guy just wanted to get back to posting after he swore he never would again so he created an alt and lied about his past. It happens.

Why is buckling down and telling the truth more torturous than being tortured for lying? Why choose the latter?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Why is buckling down and telling the truth more torturous than being tortured for lying? Why choose the latter?

Didn't you hear? Guys who can toss a ball fast are allowed to lie to Congress. I think it was an amendment to the Constitution or something

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Didn't you hear? Guys who can toss a ball fast are allowed to lie to Congress. I think it was an amendment to the Constitution or something

tumblr_lzbjvjYsfq1r3jsrko1_500.jpg

JRTinMA said:

Anybody else lies to Congress, they risk prosecution. Nice to know Mr. Baseball Doper doesn't get a free pass simply because of his (dope-aided) sporting achievements!

Race Radio said:

Not what I said at all, you have quite an imagination. What I said was its a waste of money. A simple perjury charge that means nothing, he lied about ped use, BFD. Can you get me that link for petitioning the white house to take action like you tried for that idiot Armstrong please. Surely America must see what a joke this witch hunt has become. The case should be dismissed immediately. Pettitt isn't even sure what he remembers anymore.

Itshouldbeover

MarkvW said:
Anybody else lies to Congress, they risk prosecution. Nice to know Mr. Baseball Doper doesn't get a free pass simply because of his (dope-aided) sporting achievements!

He achieved quite a bit before he ever took a drug. I guess you want to ignore that part with or you are ignorant to his success.

JRTinMA said:
He achieved quite a bit before he ever took a drug. I guess you want to ignore that part with or you are ignorant to his success.

Yeah! I do want to ignore it. His athletic skill has NOTHING to do with his lie to Congress. Do you want all jocks to get a get out of jail free pass? Should anybody be allowed to lie to Congress?

JRTinMA said:

Clemens is likely to be just like Armstrong, someone whose entire career is based on drugs. Do you think that Clemens woke up one day in 1998 and said to himself, "Hey, I should start using steroids."

JRTinMA said:

You might have a little better argument with Bonds (or Bill Clinton, for that matter). Clemens volunteered to testify before Congress. Unlike Bonds, McGwire, and several other MLB players, he wasn't compelled to do so. He did it because he wanted to squelch all the rumors and gossip that he was a doper. So he in fact was out there promoting himself as clean. He was selling himself as different in a game full of dopers. He very specifically rejected such common responses as "no comment", "I never tested positive", "I didn't do anything that everyone else didn't do," or "I was a great pitcher even before the steroid era."

There is lying to avoid having people know for sure the worst about you, and then there is lying to con people into thinking the best about you. Sort of the same difference between Ulle and LA, when you think about it.

BroDeal said:
Clemens is likely to be just like Armstrong, someone whose entire career is based on drugs. Do you think that Clemens woke up one day in 1998 and said to himself, "Hey, I should start using steroids."

I do, its not hard to see when his body started to change. 1998 may be generous. And stop comparing him to Armstrong, it ridiculous.

Merckx index said:
You might have a little better argument with Bonds (or Bill Clinton, for that matter). Clemens volunteered to testify before Congress. Unlike Bonds, McGwire, and several other MLB players, he wasn't compelled to do so. He did it because he wanted to squelch all the rumors and gossip that he was a doper. So he in fact was out there promoting himself as clean. He was selling himself as different in a game full of dopers. He very specifically rejected such common responses as "no comment", "I never tested positive", "I didn't do anything that everyone else didn't do," or "I was a great pitcher even before the steroid era."

There is lying to avoid having people know for sure the worst about you, and then there is lying to con people into thinking the best about you. Sort of the same difference between Ulle and LA, when you think about it.

From what I recall he was given the opportunity to not testify just days prior to the congressional hearings. At that point he felt he had to defend his story. You are right he could have avoided the whole thing but to say he volunteered is a bit simplistic. Hindsight being 20/20 as you have pointed out he should have just accepted the offer and went away. LA could have given Landis a RS kit, a ****ty Trek and a stipend and he would have avoided a lot of trouble too. Hindsight is awesome!

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Yeah! I do want to ignore it. His athletic skill has NOTHING to do with his lie to Congress. Do you want all jocks to get a get out of jail free pass? Should anybody be allowed to lie to Congress?

Why not? They're allowed to lie to us. Sauce for the goose......

TRENDING THREADS