• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can't help but thinking about how much he has declined comparatively to 4/5 years ago.
Oh, I agree, but I think the competition is much tougher now for the kind of races he's targeting. He could still podium a Vuelta or Giro if the cards fall his way, kind of like Porte at the Tour or Caruso this Giro. But like Pinot or Quintana, he's not a top 5 favorite any more. But I'm still a fan.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Can't help but thinking about how much he has declined comparatively to 4/5 years ago.
Considering he came into the race after a interrupted preparation according to him I don't he think he was too bad but in 2016/17 he was expected to podium. Hope he gets back to better form as he is one GC rider that doesn't mind taking risks and going for long attacks. He made the final mountain stage more interesting. I was more disappointed by Carthy and Hindley, and Martin proved again that he's a solid top 7 top 10 GC rider and a stage hunter. Something that Pinot might have done well at if he wasn't under so much pressure to win a grand tour. Take Caruso's performance out of the Giro and it would have been quite dull re GC.

Reactions: Bolder
New article:
Romain’s road: Romain Bardet profile

"Can change be a good thing? Romain Bardet leans back in his rickety, village hall-style metal chair, his face brushed by the autumn sun while he muses over the question.
His lips purse as he takes a small sip of pale ale. Before it returns to the ‘Drink Responsibly’ beer mat resting on the table, he offers his reply."

romain_bardet_1.jpg

New article:
Romain’s road: Romain Bardet profile

"Can change be a good thing? Romain Bardet leans back in his rickety, village hall-style metal chair, his face brushed by the autumn sun while he muses over the question.
His lips purse as he takes a small sip of pale ale. Before it returns to the ‘Drink Responsibly’ beer mat resting on the table, he offers his reply."

romain_bardet_1.jpg

He now looks like young Harry Dean Stanton, or just Harry Dean Stanton, he's never been young anyway.

Last edited:
My French is rather rusty: I can get the gist of it but may be missing nuance, and because it was not posted as a message I can't put it through a translator app without retyping it all. Would somebody be able to do the honours

RB's tweet
FRLRboCWQAAmgCN
From Google Lens:
Still struggling to put words to the events of yesterday, the distress of these faces and these bruised bodies following this fall. I'm thinking of Julian, but also of all those heavily affected guys who had to see their lives go by, when at more than 70km/h the whistle of the peloton gave way to chaos, the sound of exploding equipment and human cries that arise . I am very touched by your messages, but I honestly think that anyone in this situation would absolutely have done the same - there is no competition in the face of the risk of physical integrity. Beyond the direct consequences, it leads me to think about our common responsibilities to avoid this kind of accident which could have been tragic, to the respect that we must grant each other as runners. I saw it all, I was right behind Tom Pidcock and Jérémy Cabot when they collided. The responsibility we have when we take risks to get a place at the front of the peloton can have serious consequences for the 100 guys behind us. I don't blame anyone, let alone hold the truth. Simply, we give ourselves body and soul for a sport, a passion for running that can in a flash turn tragic and hinder the beauty of sport. All my best wishes for recovery to the runners affected.

From Google Lens:
Still struggling to put words to the events of yesterday, the distress of these faces and these bruised bodies following this fall. I'm thinking of Julian, but also of all those heavily affected guys who had to see their lives go by, when at more than 70km/h the whistle of the peloton gave way to chaos, the sound of exploding equipment and human cries that arise . I am very touched by your messages, but I honestly think that anyone in this situation would absolutely have done the same - there is no competition in the face of the risk of physical integrity. Beyond the direct consequences, it leads me to think about our common responsibilities to avoid this kind of accident which could have been tragic, to the respect that we must grant each other as runners. I saw it all, I was right behind Tom Pidcock and Jérémy Cabot when they collided. The responsibility we have when we take risks to get a place at the front of the peloton can have serious consequences for the 100 guys behind us. I don't blame anyone, let alone hold the truth. Simply, we give ourselves body and soul for a sport, a passion for running that can in a flash turn tragic and hinder the beauty of sport. All my best wishes for recovery to the runners affected.
He discredits himself and his altruism, because not everyone would have behaved as nobly as he did. True class from the frenchmen and a lesson in humanity.

Last edited:
I put this here as well.

This more than deserves a worthy mentioning. I have always admired the introspective and intelligent frenchmen, now I will be pulling for him during every single race in which he participates. From today's la Gazzetta dello Sport:

"And then there is Romain Bardaet...There are masterpieces signed with the legs (read Evenopoel), others that arrive from the heart. The one realized by the frenchmen gives us faith back in humanity in a certainly difficult historical moment...Romain Bardet, the angel that arrived roadside....fresh victor of the Tour of the Alpes e soon to be protagonist of the Giro d'Italia. He realizes that his countryman is helpless in the woods and alone. The race no longer has any sense. In a split second he leaps down the ravine...and gives the first aid to Alaphilippe. A dramatic scene that became awesome, as Romain remained with Julian until the ambulance arrived. A deed that is worthy of victory in the race. Bardet: 'It was a nightmare for me. When I saw Juilian over there, it was an emotional shock for me. It was an emergency situation. He could neither move nor breath. He was conscious, but he was unable to speak. I really hope he will be ok.' Two broken ribs, a fractured scapola and a collapsed lung, thus Alaphilippe spent the night in hospital. And perhaps he even dreamt of being nurtured by his friend Romain."

TRENDING THREADS