• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Those and merida bikes will sell like cupcakes over here.

There's a recpetion for Rui Costa today at Aeroporto Sá Carneiro, Porto. 18h local time

The Future
1385969_610032825705462_1761942710_n.jpg

Rui, his girlfriend Carla, his parents and his brother
1381618_610033222372089_876774945_n.jpg

Touching the sky
1375289_610033232372088_643848855_n.jpg

Rui and a cadete
1381929_610033439038734_536414290_n.jpg

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
1,500 people. Crazy atmosphere from what I've seen on RTP.

Let's hope there's a TDF champion somewhere in the first picture:D (and many more champions to get into cycling from now on).

jens_attacks said:
it's the saitama criterium organized by the tour de france's organizers

and yes it will be broadcasted live on eurosport.

Saitama Criterium as far as i am concerned it's not Le Tour de France.

Yes i knew he will participate in it. Since it was confirmed.

The broadcasting thingy was mainly because, how can you broadcast something that doesn't exist? It was TVI not Eurosport btw.

So the Tour has soft mountain stages, cobbles and a flat time trial.

Costa must be happy, he is good on cobbles, in fact his fight with abarca back in 2010 was because abarca wanted him to focus on cobbles while he wanted to become a stage racer. Limited amount of really high mountains and a nice fllat time trial to regain time on better climbers is also good for him.

If he fails to achieve whatever he thinks he can achieve GC wise with this route, he should really give up on GT's as he will have a hard time finding a better suited route.

I think he can end up somewhere between 10th and 6th on GC, better than that doesn't seem too realistic :eek:

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
he is good on cobbles

Where do you get that from? His best on the cobbles was 58th in Paris-Robaix (I'm not sure if 4 Jours de Dunkerke has any cobbles or not).

Either way, the cobbles will at least not hurt him as much as it will Froome, Contador or Nibali. Might turn out to be a good Tour de France for him.

Jux1893 said:
Where do you get that from? His best on the cobbles was 58th in Paris-Robaix (I'm not sure if 4 Jours de Dunkerke has any cobbles or not).

Either way, the cobbles will at least not hurt him as much as it will Froome, Contador or Nibali. Might turn out to be a good Tour de France for him.

He is good when compared to other GC guys, not when compared to Boonen obviously.

He rode a lot of flemish races on his first few years at abarca, and like you said he even finished roubaix on his first year as a 22 year old which is more impressive than it seems considering its Roubaix.

Also if he wasn't any good at cobbles Abarca wouldn't push him on that direction, they wanted him to keep his u23 weight and have a go particularly at the ronde. Which is why he was leaving the team in 2010..

So he has experience racing on cobbles, which is something most GC riders don't.

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Parrulo said:
He is good when compared to other GC guys, not when compared to Boonen obviously.

He rode a lot of flemish races on his first few years at abarca, and like you said he even finished roubaix on his first year as a 22 year old which is more impressive than it seems considering its Roubaix.

Also if he wasn't any good at cobbles Abarca wouldn't push him on that direction, they wanted him to keep his u23 weight and have a go particularly at the ronde. Which is why he was leaving the team in 2010..

So he has experience racing on cobbles, which is something most GC riders don't.

This is true. Also, i met him and Froome today (i think they will travel together to Japan). Asked him if he will give P-R a try next year and he answered ''maybe''.

hrotha said:
Wait wait wait.

UNZUE wanted one of his riders to focus on the cobbles? :confused:

Not cobbles per ser, flandrian races would probably be more correct. They wanted him to become a pure classics rider instead of the stage racer/ hilly classics guy he is.

Take a look at Costa's schedule on his first 2 years at Caisse, both times he rode the Ronde, Roubaix and Dunkerque and in 2010 they even added GW to his schedule.

And to be fair if we look at his 09 roubaix, he finished on the same group as EBH and Ladagnous who are around his age and to this day still target PR.

Costa wasn't too happy with that and that is why he was leaving Caisse in 2010.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Not cobbles per ser, flandrian races would probably be more correct. They wanted him to become a pure classics rider instead of the stage racer/ hilly classics guy he is.

Take a look at Costa's schedule on his first 2 years at Caisse, both times he rode the Ronde, Roubaix and Dunkerque and in 2010 they even added GW to his schedule.

And to be fair if we look at his 09 roubaix, he finished on the same group as EBH and Ladagnous who are around his age and to this day still target PR.

Costa wasn't too happy with that and that is why he was leaving Caisse in 2010.

he wasn't leaving caisse he was suspended and all young riders in caisse/unzue have to pay their dues first years by doing some northern wt races.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
As I remember , Rui Costa was unhappy with his calendar at Caisse and wanted to leave. THEN the suspension happened. Followed ironically by a return to Unzue team.

TRENDING THREADS