• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, he set a very good pace for the first 2 km of the climb or whatever it was. But that must have been his job, to make the early part of the climb hard.

That doesn't mean that he certainly would have beaten them over the whole climb even though they finished 16th and 17th on the stage almost 4 minutes off.

Costa's selfishness has already been discussed a lot and if you look at the video you can clearly see he was still fresh when he pulls off.

On the spanish coverage Perico even said it was a mistake for Valverde to attack when Costa still looked so fresh.

Far from certain? i would say the odds were very high considering they finished behind the likes of Bakelants and Riblon.

I am not saying he will be one of the best climbers in the Tour but i think there is a serious underestimating of his abilities going on due to the way he usually races.

Parrulo said:
Far from certain? i would say the odds were very high considering they finished behind the likes of Bakelants and Riblon.

I am not saying he will be one of the best climbers in the Tour but i think there is a serious underestimating of his abilities going on due to the way he usually races.
Riding for your own GC is totally different from riding for a leader, that has been proven time and again. There were people who said that Sylvester Szmyd (where is he now?) was among the best climbers in the world, because he dropped everyone in the first few k's of a climb.

I think Costa could certainly be 6th in the Tour or thereabouts, but we won't know until he actually does it.

Parrulo said:

That is what i think aswell. He has got a very low profile and so people think he never is a factor, so even when he wins, they still discart him on the next races. Just take a look at the predictions thread.

Also, having that kind of form on the Tour's third week not only proves that he didn't peak in TdS (like many said), but he does well in GT's and deserves a shot as lead.

In my opinion, if every contenders present themselves near their best form in the year, he will finish somewhere around 5th.

Also looking forward to the pavé stage. I am 100% certain he will gain at least a minute there to the contenders fighting for the same GC spots as him. It is curious that he can do well on short steep climbs, so perhaps we will see him do well in the Sheffield stage.

BigMac said:
That is what i think aswell. He has got a very low profile and so people think he never is a factor, so even when he wins, they still discart him on the next races. Just take a look at the predictions thread.

Also, having that kind of form on the Tour's third week not only proves that he didn't peak in TdS (like many said), but he does well in GT's and deserves a shot as lead.

In my opinion, if every contenders present themselves near their best form in the year, he will finish somewhere around 5th.

Also looking forward to the pavé stage. I am 100% certain he will gain at least a minute there to the contenders fighting for the same GC spots as him. It is curious that he can do well on short steep climbs, so perhaps we will see him do well in the Sheffield stage.
I remember the Tour de Suisse last year, where he won the first mountain stage and then Valverde had to save him on the next. So maybe you're being a bit too optimistic, let's first see if he's got what it takes to deliver for three weeks.

theyoungest said:
I remember the Tour de Suisse last year, where he won the first mountain stage and then Valverde had to save him on the next. So maybe you're being a bit too optimistic, let's first see if he's got what it takes to deliver for three weeks.

Yes, last year. 2012. When he was still 25. We're talking about an event that is taking place in 2014. Two years later. This year he won TdS with little to no help from his team. In fact, it was him who dragged everyone over the Albulapass and eventually got the win in La Punt after a descent were he led TJ and later Mollema. So I don't think how the 2012 TdS fits here.

I myself think he won't get any time on others in high mountain stages, that is why I mentioned the pavé and the stage in Britain. All he has to do is to hang on the wheels in MTF's, or who knows, go a la Schleck in the Risoul stage wich he pointed at Le Tour's presentation :cool:.

He will certainly improve his climbing.

BigMac said:

It may not mean a lot if there's a big crash like the last time, and he's caught behind. Also, it's not like he's a great cobbles rider: he has some decent results and some experience from the past, but it's not something he practices much. Under normal circumstances I expect him to be one of the best of the GC rider.s

trevim said:
It may not mean a lot if there's a big crash like the last time, and he's caught behind. Also, it's not like he's a great cobbles rider: he has some decent results and some experience from the past, but it's not something he practices much. Under normal circumstances I expect him to be one of the best of the GC rider.s

I agree, but the fact that he is good at positioning himself in the bunch, will help alot.

I forgot Kwiatkowski who might be going for top10 aswell, and is perhaps the best of the GC boys in the cobbles.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
I think Rui Costa has what it takes to top10 at the Tour, however he will be closer to 10th than 1st.

He finished with good form this year, but he saved himself him most of the stages, and only had to work over the last MTF's. IMO it is still up in the air if he has the form for the 3 weeks or if he can avoid a bad day during the Tour.

He will play it safe in the pavé stage (it is still too early on the Tour, and he never takes any risks unnecessarily), and he will suffer through the high mountains. The only place where he will win real time will be in the TT, and only to a few of the GC contenders.

That being said, I hope he can podium at the Tour.

BigMac said:
Yes, last year. 2012. When he was still 25. We're talking about an event that is taking place in 2014. Two years later. This year he won TdS with little to no help from his team. In fact, it was him who dragged everyone over the Albulapass and eventually got the win in La Punt after a descent were he led TJ and later Mollema. So I don't think how the 2012 TdS fits here.

I myself think he won't get any time on others in high mountain stages, that is why I mentioned the pavé and the stage in Britain. All he has to do is to hang on the wheels in MTF's, or who knows, go a la Schleck in the Risoul stage wich he pointed at Le Tour's presentation :cool:.

He will certainly improve his climbing.
He's consistent if we ignore the times he wasn't consistent. Okay, I get your point...

I think he has what it takes to be in very good shape at the end of a GT which is something i had my doubts he could do last year. But i still doubt his recovery on day after day efforts. Annecy was a good indication but it is nothing more than that as he did badly on the first itt after 2 hard days.

Still at 26 Nibali had serious troubles with the 3rd straight day of hard efforts and look at him now.

Also Interview to Marca:

PREGUNTA. ¿Qué le dijo Purito en el momento que intentó desestabilizarle en Florencia?

RESPUESTA.Cuando llegué a su altura, él me dijo que si quería ganar tendría que ponerme a tirar y yo le dije que no, porque en ese momento lo que mejor me venía era coger aire. Llegaba de hacer un esfuerzo grande y lo recomendable era tomarme un segundo respiro.

P. Si Valverde hubiese arrancado, ¿hubiera parado instintivamente?

R.Eso es ciencia ficción. Ahora puedo decir cualquier cosa, pero en ese momento nadie sabe cómo habríamos respondido cada uno. Así que contestar es casi imposible. Lo único que está claro es que asumo el riesgo de jugármelo todo a una carta con mi ataque. Teníamos cerca a Joaquim, pero estaba claro que, al ritmo que íbamos, la caza era imposible. Era un todo o nada. Y eso es lo que hice: jugármela desde lejos y tratar precisamente de que mis rivales dudaran.

P. ¿Cómo ha vivido los momentos post-Mundial? ¿Le sienta bien el maillot o ya se ha cansado de tantos medios?

R.El tópico dice que el Mundial es una carrera que se gana en un día, pero que se disfruta todo el año. Eso es cierto, pero gracias a Dios tengo un entorno y estoy trabajando duro para mantener los pies pegados al suelo. Es cierto que tengo muchas peticiones de entrevistas de radio, tele, periódicos... y no sólo de Portugal. No he perdido el norte y tengo claro que mi prioridad es mi trabajo como ciclista. Si quiero estar bien en el primer tramo del curso tengo que descansar en invierno para después trabajar mucho.

P. ¿Se arrepiente de haber firmado por Lampre antes de ser campeón? ¿Podía haber mejorado su contrato?

R.No, no me arrepiento lo más mínimo. Si esperas al Mundial y ganas, tal vez puedas conseguir un mejor contrato. Pero si te caes y te lesionas, ¿quién te ficha en un año en el que desaparece Vacansoleil, Euskaltel, Sojasun...? Hay decenas de corredores con calidad sin contrato para 2014. Los contratos no se miran tanto por el dinero, al menos es mi forma de pensar. Lampre-Merida me ofreció la posibilidad de ser líder en varias carreras y eso me hizo decidirme. Confiaron en mí antes de ser campeón y eso ratifica mi elección.

P. ¿Cómo valora su paso por Movistar? ¿Esperaba una eclosión tan rápida de Nairo?

R.Movistar ha sido fundamental en mi carrera deportiva. Es un equipo que me dio la oportunidad de salir de Portugal y que me permitió correr el Tour de Francia y las grandes clásicas, así que siempre estaré agradecido a Eusebio Unzúe. ¿Nairo? Sabíamos que era un ciclista de mucha calidad y que antes o después podría mostrar su talento en una prueba como el Tour. Ha sido una sorpresa relativa.

P. Ya es un ídolo en su país ganando en algunos ránkings a Cristiano, ¿nota ese calor en la calle y en la carretera?

R.Sí, muchísimo. Es algo que crece cada año. Está claro que ganar otras carreras es importante para mi currículum y para nuestros patrocinadores, pero ganar dos etapas en el Tour y el Mundial te hace más conocido y querido por la afición.

P. ¿Se ve ganando una gran vuelta en el futuro o se centrará más en clásicas?

R.Siempre he dicho que no sé qué tipo de corredor soy. Cuando era sub-23 ya me ocurría lo mismo: era capaz de estar con los mejores en carreras de un día, pero también gané la general del Giro de las Regiones. Ahora, como profesional, está claro que hay clásicas que puedo ganar y también está claro que hay vueltas de una semana que también puedo ganar, lo he demostrado. Hay que ser humilde y realista: nunca he podido ganar una vuelta de tres semanas y, por tanto, no puedo decir que soy favorito al Tour. Pese a ganar el Mundial, aún no lo soy. Los escalones hay que subirlos de uno a uno y en las grandes todavía tengo mucho que mejorar. De todos modos, acabo de cumplir los 27 y creo que con el paso de las temporadas estoy mejorando en resistencia. Así que mantengo la ilusión de seguir mejorando y tal vez algún día pueda estar en la pelea. A día de hoy hay rivales que son más favoritos que yo.

P. ¿Quiénes son sus corredores preferidos?

R.Del pasado: Hinault, Indurain y Armstrong; ya que fueron corredores que marcaron una época. Del presente tengo predilección por mis compañeros portugueses que están corriendo fuera y están dejando alto el pabellón de nuestro país.

theyoungest said:
He's consistent if we ignore the times he wasn't consistent. Okay, I get your point...

My point was not that ofc...

It is that obviously he has improved and there is a two years gap between TdS 2012 and TdF 2014. I don't think you can compare these two competitions when so much things happened in-between. Costa is not the rider he was in '12 anymore. He was young, somewhat inexperienced, and far from his peak year.

Parrulo said:
That's why i mentioned the annecy stage after LGB.

LBG was soft pedalled by the favourites while the break rode very hard over the first part of the stage and the last climb. Yet the next day Costa was still able to easily drop guys like Mollema and Fuglsang.

Besides the Tour route suites Costa next year with the cobbles and a flat itt where he can gain time on the likes of Betancurt and Uran.

Besides mathematically your argument makes like sense because i said "between 5th and 10th" and you said between "8th and 9th". Guess who is more likely to get his prediction right?

Sure, he looked quite strong in the Annecy stage, but that still doesn't change anything about 3 key stages he was able to softpedal and the fact that, regardless LGB, he was a lot fresher both physically and mentally than guys like Mollema and Fuglsang going into those final stages.

I said I think he could finish 8th or 9th at best, not between ;)

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Last year he wasnt even consistent in the TDS he won.

On the first finish on Crans Montana he was actually quite bad.

Ofcourse he took a nice and commanding win in the end. But we can't ignore the fact he wasnt so good on the first mt stage

He is good at the TT which is the main reason for his wins. Boring rider but gets results. Could get top 7 in the Tour if he climbs well. Good at the shorter stage races. His win at the Worlds also shows he is smart and some others are not.