• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
A couple of photos

The bike
rui+3.jpg

The Helmet (colours in wrong order....courtesy of Catlike)
Link

The Jersey

579151_628695227181631_404471832_n.jpg

And Happy Birthday to Rui Costa!
5th october

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't checked this information, but...What I have read is that UCI regulations in place demand the shorts to be either white ot from the trade team.

If so, he's making the right choice. No one needs to remember Saronni of that possibility for next year ( lampre shorts+WC jersey = :eek: )

Also...that article says Tour of Beijing will be his last race. But yesterday there was an interview with him at RTP (radio televisão portuguesa) and the reporter finished the piece by saying Rui Costa's program is Lombardia-Tour of Beijing-"a race in Japan" (which I assume is Japan Cup)

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Now I had to look into UCI regulations

This is what I find

"The wearer of the world champion's jersey shall be entitled to match the colour of his shorts to that of the jersey.
(text modified on 1.01.01; 1.10.10)."

Makes sense. Hushovd all white. Cav sky shorts. Gilbert all white (BMC shorts for Lombardia 2012, although with black and white shorts at the beginning of 2013, so who knows really).

Parrulo said:
http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=66489

Ulissi saying he has a good relationship with Costa and won't clash with him. Yet he names the ardennes as his biggest goal which happen to be the biggest goal of Costa's first part of the season.

This could really get interesting as i don't see neither working for each other.

Quite simple IMO. Let Ulissi lead Amstel and FW, let Costa lead LBL. Rui doesn't stand a chance to win FW anyway.

For he won't work, that is something he needs to start considering.

Parrulo said:
http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=66489

Ulissi saying he has a good relationship with Costa and won't clash with him. Yet he names the ardennes as his biggest goal which happen to be the biggest goal of Costa's first part of the season.

This could really get interesting as i don't see neither working for each other.
Fleche is an uphill sprint so it's better suited to Ulissi anyway. Regarding the other two, Ulissi still needs to prove that he can be competitive in 240km+ races.

I think it works perfect together. Ulissi is a good uphill sprinter right?

Costa is better going into breaks and going at the right moment.

So actually they are the perfect type of couple you can have in these type of races. If Costa's breaks don't work then Ulissi (if he's still there) can finish it off

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
Another excuse for Costa to do the thing he does. :eek:

What, carry bottles in the World Champion jersey? That Rui is such a great domestique :p

bettiniphoto_0156622_1_full_670.jpg

OK seriously, that shirt he's wearing is his excuse for the next year. As is going to a team where he's expected to be a leader. Nope, he never did do a whole lot of pulling for his teammates. But we probably can't criticize him for that anymore.

At least, not so much. :D

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
Nope, he never did do a whole lot of pulling for his teammates.

Really? Guess you haven't been following his carreer with that much attention.

He was a Portuguese in a Spanish team that had in Valverde a leader by default.

I would really like to know any situation where he hasn't work for someone after being asked. Perhaps this year Lombardia, TdF, LBL or FW. Or maybe last year TdF.

TRENDING THREADS