• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If only he'd gone to BMC then he could have learnt from GVA :)

But I think Costa has a really good chance of getting some more wins this year and although he got smashed by Gerrans in the sprint he still beat the others, after having gone on the attack multiple times. Although he is the WC I think he can be considered a real dark horse again for the upcoming RR.

I'd call it a successful reign. Second at P-N, 3rd at Romandie, stage and overall at Suisse and second at Montréal.

Last time I checked he isn't doing Giro di Lombardia. His next and last race of the season should be Beijing. Weren't there rumours that Merida would take over lead sponsorship? Perhaps he won't have to wear pink and blue next season but green, which is always better.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
BigMac said:
I'd call it a successful reign. Second at P-N, 3rd at Romandie, stage and overall at Suisse and second at Montréal.

Last time I checked he isn't doing Giro di Lombardia. His next and last race of the season should be Beijing. Weren't there rumours that Merida would take over lead sponsorship? Perhaps he won't have to wear pink and blue next season but green, which is always better.
This.Not a bad year from a world champion,otoh I think kwia will beat it next year ;)

BigMac said:

He did better the year leading up to his WC win than the following one.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
As the former world champion how come Rui Costa doesn't have the rainbow bands on his jersey? Is it a team thing? Pozzato doesn't have the Italian bands either. Dissapointing that his achievement isn't recognized by the team.

hayzer114 said:
As the former world champion how come Rui Costa doesn't have the rainbow bands on his jersey? Is it a team thing? Pozzato doesn't have the Italian bands either. Dissapointing that his achievement isn't recognized by the team.

I think he will once the next season starts. But it's Lampre, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

First portuguese rider to get a podium in a monument classic! Although the talent has been there for some time now, injuries or team orders have prevented him from getting a top result with 9th in Liege the only bright spot in monuments (while working for Alejandro Valverde). The best part for me was the fact that he was quite active chasing Wellens, Sanchez or Gilbert and trying to push for himself in the final km's. That also goes to show that he's not just a wheelsucker and negative racer as some say. Now time to think about Paris-Nice and Ardennes for the next season, although there's still Beijing to go where he maybe can put himself in the WT podium (not important though and I haven't really checked the standings).

trevim said:
First portuguese rider to get a podium in a monument classic! Although the talent has been there for some time now, injuries or team orders have prevented him from getting a top result with 9th in Liege the only bright spot in monuments (while working for Alejandro Valverde). The best part for me was the fact that he was quite active chasing Wellens, Sanchez or Gilbert and trying to push for himself in the final km's. That also goes to show that he's not just a wheelsucker and negative racer as some say. Now time to think about Paris-Nice and Ardennes for the next season, although there's still Beijing to go where he maybe can put himself in the WT podium (not important though and I haven't really checked the standings).

Yes, a good race from him. Perhaps not his smartest outing (usually he is tactically ruthless), but one that shows he can mix it with the best in the hilly monuments.

I'd actually have expected him to be the guy bright enough to jump after Martin, but he may have been exhausted.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Yes, a good race from him. Perhaps not his smartest outing (usually he is tactically ruthless), but one that shows he can mix it with the best in the hilly monuments.

I'd actually have expected him to be the guy bright enough to jump after Martin, but he may have been exhausted.
Yeah and he would have Valverde right on his wheel

trevim said:
Indeed you're quite right, Firenze should have taught me something :D

No, he's not quite right. Not even just right. You're right. Costa was side-by-side/just behind Valverde once Dan Martin got away. If Costa tried to follow (which was already a difficult task since Dan has a great kick and distanced himself very fast) Valverde would follow him immediately. And so would the rest of the group.

BigMac said:
No, he's not quite right. Not even just right. You're right. Costa was side-by-side/just behind Valverde once Dan Martin got away. If Costa tried to follow (which was already a difficult task since Dan has a great kick and distanced himself very fast) Valverde would follow him immediately. And so would the rest of the group.
Yeah I know that it was just a joke considering what he did in Firenze :)

Regarding the stripes issue:

10686805_829060557145096_2031304351860406699_n.jpg

Costa says that for next year he will ask for stripes in the collar zone, too. Hopefully a more discrete jersey next season (one can only hope).

trevim said:
Yeah I know that it was just a joke considering what he did in Firenze :)

:)

While some are preparing for Kilimanjaro hipster stuff, Rui Costa doing a real man's pre-season training camp, helping his parents planting onions :p

This was my training today: help my parents and grandparents to plant onions in the field. It's better than doing gym. If anyone wants to come, pay nothing.

10426916_834187996632352_9096636897049783963_n.jpg

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
trevim said:
While some are preparing for Kilimanjaro hipster stuff, Rui Costa doing a real man's pre-season training camp, helping his parents planting onions :p

This was my training today: help my parents and grandparents to plant onions in the field. It's better than doing gym. If anyone wants to come, pay nothing.

10426916_834187996632352_9096636897049783963_n.jpg

Great, has he said anything about the Tour or the Giro route?

Echoes said:
You bet I agree with the last two sentences. You know me, by now. :p

One thing that I couldn't understand is his withdrawal from Milan-Sanremo despite being in top form after Paris-Nice, despite the fact that the race suits him and the fact he's racing as World Champion for an Italian team. Instead he watched it on his laptop in a comfortable couch! You can have bad luck on a couple of occasions but rarely on the whole season, unless with a very serious injury, which wasn't his case.

Hehe. Good news then, lol.

BjbBm5uIYAARTmo.jpg

Echoes said:
Echoes said:
You bet I agree with the last two sentences. You know me, by now. :p

One thing that I couldn't understand is his withdrawal from Milan-Sanremo despite being in top form after Paris-Nice, despite the fact that the race suits him and the fact he's racing as World Champion for an Italian team. Instead he watched it on his laptop in a comfortable couch! You can have bad luck on a couple of occasions but rarely on the whole season, unless with a very serious injury, which wasn't his case.

Hehe. Good news then, lol.

BjbBm5uIYAARTmo.jpg

I immediately thought of that post of yours :)

TRENDING THREADS