• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rujano can win this Giro, believes Savio

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It’s been five years since he won a stage, took the mountains classification and finished on the podium in the Giro d’Italia, yet Jose Rujano is extremely upbeat about his abilities.

“Right now I think I am the third climber in the world after Alberto Contador and Joaquim Rodriguez,” he bragged to the Venezuelan newspaper Entorno Inteligente, according to Tuttobici. “Armstrong and Andy Schleck? They are strong on the uphills, but they are not natural climbers.” \

how can you not love this guy. he is right and even more so.

also rujano was never in trouble in contadors wheel. he just doesn't have the explosiveness to match contadors attacks especially in flat, where contador took it. still he wouldn't crack and finished on 3 seconds, that;s nothing. this climb didn't suit him at all. I know rujano so well and I also followed him in his south american years this is his exact racing style and he looks like he's hurting but he's not. the man is pure class on a bike

also why you think rujano was so incredibly happy after todays stage on rai tv?? because even he didn;t expect this. his time comes in the real steep mountains he said but already he shows he is on par with contador and in the steep climbs he can drop him in my mind and after today also in rujano;s mind

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
That was after Rujano refused to work with AC--which I found surprising because AC certainly would have given him the stage.

no he would not. contador always wants to win stages plus he had bonus seconds and rujano didn;t want to take over because contador has more chance attacking out of rujano;s wheel and rujano isn;t as explosive, rujano is no idiot and he did the right thing.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
Me?

To be honest I don't recall anything in the 2005 Giro that could resemble the current edition.

Parra beat him in both breaks (could be the way they shared the workload but I can't really recall if that was the case)

Tenda is relatively easy compared to Zoncolan. Finestre is 9% pretty much all the way without ramps.

Any particular climbs in Colombia that I should pay special attention to?

I do see that he crushed the field by a ridiculous margin there.

tenda is a very easy climb, nothing to compare

finestre is very hard, at the beginning you have very steep ramps, more than 10% to reach meana. than yoy do not have rest and 10% average on sterrato ( that is different from strade bianche) is very, very hard

direct experience, believe me.

if ruyano gains self confidence and he comes back to the VoC 2009 form, he will reach the podium.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
La Pandera said:
No offense to Rujano but what kind of draft if any would Contador had gotten if Rujano had decided to take a pull? It would've been like trying to draft off of a recumbent.:eek: Contador's 5'-9" and Rujano has to be at most 5'-3".

rujano is 5 foot 4, 1.62 and contador is 5 foot 10, 1.77

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
It’s been five years since he won a stage, took the mountains classification and finished on the podium in the Giro d’Italia, yet Jose Rujano is extremely upbeat about his abilities.

“Right now I think I am the third climber in the world after Alberto Contador and Joaquim Rodriguez,” he bragged to the Venezuelan newspaper Entorno Inteligente, according to Tuttobici. “Armstrong and Andy Schleck? They are strong on the uphills, but they are not natural climbers.” \

how can you not love this guy. he is right and even more so.

also rujano was never in trouble in contadors wheel. he just doesn't have the explosiveness to match contadors attacks especially in flat, where contador took it. still he wouldn't crack and finished on 3 seconds, that;s nothing. this climb didn't suit him at all. I know rujano so well and I also followed him in his south american years this is his exact racing style and he looks like he's hurting but he's not. the man is pure class on a bike

also why you think rujano was so incredibly happy after todays stage on rai tv?? because even he didn;t expect this. his time comes in the real steep mountains he said but already he shows he is on par with contador and in the steep climbs he can drop him in my mind and after today also in rujano;s mind

Cmon now Ryo, he was in trouble, he was hanging on big time. Whether that'll change later in the race who knows.

Ryo Hazuki said:
no he would not. contador always wants to win stages plus he had bonus seconds and rujano didn;t want to take over because contador has more chance attacking out of rujano;s wheel and rujano isn;t as explosive, rujano is no idiot and he did the right thing.
Contador gifts stages all the time, although to be fair maybe that only applies if the rival is a Schleck.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
Btw, is Rujano really that good on steeper climbs? He is a little light guy who should go well, but I haven't really seen him on the really steep climbs.

oh yes and it is perfectly normal. the guy is 48 kg and kicks around 8 watt per kg weight. gravity tells you he will be unmatched in the real steep mountains. he is notorious in south america for many things but a true testimony to how strong he is in steep climbs are his incredible mountain itt's.

pls check out on youtube vuelta colombia 2009 alto escobero stage that has an average of 9.7% and see how rujano kills everyone

LOMA+del+ESCOBERO+vert.+Envigado.jpg

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Havetts said:
Well Ryo, I certainly hope I can believe in your confidence cause if it isnt true who's going to stop Contador :(?

before this giro I said to you all that only rider that can possibly match contador is rujano because all the others have tried and failed and won';t be in his league ever. rujano is of a completely different league but is vulnerable in other things where contador isn;t

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
Me?

To be honest I don't recall anything in the 2005 Giro that could resemble the current edition.

Parra beat him in both breaks (could be the way they shared the workload but I can't really recall if that was the case)

Tenda is relatively easy compared to Zoncolan. Finestre is 9% pretty much all the way without ramps.

Any particular climbs in Colombia that I should pay special attention to?

I do see that he crushed the field by a ridiculous margin there.

are you serious?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Is that the hardest climb?

It doesnt seem all that

I thought Colombian climbs made european ones look like road bumps.

it said steepest :rolleyes: it was the steepest in that vuelta but not the hardest. they have alto de letras that is 18 km long and takes over more than 3000 metres in height

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
'Finished ahead.'

And it doesn't mean that Parra was the stronger climber of the two. As I wrote it could have been team tactics.

It was, both days Parra attacked first IIRC. Rujano sat with whoever was next strongest in the break - I think one was Garate was 2nd?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
veganrob said:
The climbs in Columbia may be tougher but the competition in Europe is much tougher. So is it comparing apples to oranges?

the competition in real climbing is in colombia tougher than europe. in everything else it's tougher in europe

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
It was, both days Parra attacked first IIRC. Rujano sat with whoever was next strongest in the break - I think one was Garate was 2nd?

one time parra rode away 2 minutes and rujano stayed in valjavec wheel instead of also attacking and lost in hindsight 2 fatal minutes

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I am hoping Ryo is right and Rujano will take it to Elberto. He can't win overall but it'd be great to see someone kick Contadors *** on even one stage :)