• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ryder Hesjedal Discussion Thread

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pentacycle said:
I think you could've said the same about Purito seven years ago, who also showed flashes of brilliance but suffered lots of bad days. GT-wise Martin can definitely improve. Keep in mind that his 2013 TdF was significantly better than in 2012.
Purito was a slave to Valverde. I don't know if Dan Martin was sick already on the Ventoux (don't think so though) but I think that's about his level on the real climbs: top 15-20. Of course he can improve, but I think Talansky and Hesjedal have more endurance than him.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Purito was a slave to Valverde. I don't know if Dan Martin was sick already on the Ventoux (don't think so though) but I think that's about his level on the real climbs: top 15-20. Of course he can improve, but I think Talansky and Hesjedal have more endurance than him.

You could be right but I want to believe he'll get better ;) It would be awesome if he could pull off shows like on la Covatilla in 2011, or in the last edition of Catalunya, for a period of three weeks. It will require a majorstep forward though... and it's always best to be winning stages, instead of fighting to become fifth or thereabouts.

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
You could be right but I want to believe he'll get better ;) It would be awesome if he could pull off shows like on la Covatilla in 2011, or in the last edition of Catalunya, for a period of three weeks. It will require a majorstep forward though... and it's always best to be winning stages, instead of fighting to become fifth or thereabouts.

Slagter says he is working for Marin at the Giro?

I guess hesjedal will have the same status?
In my Mind Martin is still unproven... i would be going with Hesjedal!

He was good in Montreal, i see him getting simliar results as 2010.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
CanSprint said:
Slagter says he is working for Marin at the Giro?

I guess hesjedal will have the same status?
In my Mind Martin is still unproven... i would be going with Hesjedal!

He was good in Montreal, i see him getting simliar results as 2010.

I think part of the reasoning is that they want to remove Hesjedal from the media spotlight more this year, or at least early this year.

theyoungest said:

You cant win LBL if you have bad endurance. His recovery however is a little more questionable, Hesjedal for sure recovers better during a GT (I think he recovers as (one of) the best in the whole peloton).

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Martin also constantly says he doesn't care about Grand Tour GC. Every interview he does regarding his attendance in a Grand Tour, whether it was last Tour or Vuelta or this year's Giro, he says he wants to win a stage, and GC is just a secondary concern for him. I wonder if he does this because he doesn't think he's got the GC legs, or if it's the other way around, and if he focused more on GC, he'd place more highly.

VeloHuman said:
Martin also constantly says he doesn't care about Grand Tour GC. Every interview he does regarding his attendance in a Grand Tour, whether it was last Tour or Vuelta or this year's Giro, he says he wants to win a stage, and GC is just a secondary concern for him. I wonder if he does this because he doesn't think he's got the GC legs, or if it's the other way around, and if he focused more on GC, he'd place more highly.

Dont know about that, I think he does want to do GCs he however always says he approaches each Grand Tour stage by stage (and he sees every stage as an individual race). So he will probably not save to much energy if he really goes in that way.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Ruudz0r said:
Dont know about that, I think he does want to do GCs he however always says he approaches each Grand Tour stage by stage (and he sees every stage as an individual race). So he will probably not save to much energy if he really goes in that way.

Exactly... which means he may kinda want GC but he doesn't value something like 7th overall as highly as a stage win... so he doesn't save his energy accordingly.

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Martin said that Hesjedal will go to the Giro. I see Hesjedal going for the GC and Martin for stage wins. What do you guys expect from Hesjedal in the Giro? I can see him do at least a Top5, this course suits him really well. If he has at least the same level he had at the Giro, he can go for the win. I dont think Quintana and Porte are that stronger than his Giro 2012 level.

Peter von said:
Well i don't think Garmin should give upon Hesjedal just yet. Talansky is the natural choice for the Tour yes, but given Garmins long history of having more than one leader in big races and the fact that neither are likely to contend for the overall, i don't see why Talansky and Hesjedal should rule out one another. Perhaps Hesjedal is motivated to show something at the Giro again after last year.

Hesjedal is basically the new CVDV (after 2009). He's now plan B from here on out. Talansky was competing for the White Jersey last year- he's younger and has much more upside than Ryder.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm new here to the forum and would like to would like to delcare my complete bias as a Canadian but I figured I would resurect Ryder thread after suck a big ride today and generally excellent performace this Giro. Hopefully he can keep it up

I watched the whole stage today and was blown away with the efforts put in by all the riders. Amazing racing loved it.

Re:

NatB said:
I'm new here to the forum and would like to would like to delcare my complete bias as a Canadian but I figured I would resurect Ryder thread after suck a big ride today and generally excellent performace this Giro. Hopefully he can keep it up

I watched the whole stage today and was blown away with the efforts put in by all the riders. Amazing racing loved it.

He's been a joy to watch in the Giro, especially the last two seasons. Guy empties it all on the road.

Ryder

Really like Hesjedal's attitude. He's a team 'leader', but has no team to lead. He IS the team. He knows LOTS can be accomplished in the last week and last few critical stages of a GT. He just likes to diesel from behind and pass competitors. Stage 2 he was at 70th, stage 3, 49th. Then up to 30th when Contador grabbed pink. First major summit finish, he claws up to 22nd. Day before TT (Jesolo), he hits 20th. Next day in TT, he zips up to 15th. Next stage (Campiglio) he grabs 13th. Today (Aprica), he secures 10th.

Reminds of many sprints; the winner comes from 6th or 8th place in the last 500m.

But main thing is he just likes to race hard, and he's not thinking about June or July, or Vuelta. Here's what he said today:

“I’m happy with the result today. I got out there, I raced. .... It’s just about going out and racing, going for it, and not being scared. I’m not scared to lose 13th overall. Whatever the result is after the outcome of choosing to race the way … that’s it. I’d rather just do this,” he said. “I think you can tell from the way I’m riding, I’m not scared of the Giro.

perico said:
Peter von said:
Talansky ... has much more upside than Ryder.

We realize you wrote this last year, but you might want to revise; Talansky rode a dumb US Road Champs, something like half the entire race solo? Finishes 7 out of 19. Not a leader. He needs to show consistentcy in one-week tours, before considering GTs. Don't know why some still call him pitbull, he's real fragile; a sick puppy that requires lots of visits to the vet.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ryder is like the terminator. He just keeps comming back. He's always there in the background of the screen just getting larger and larger ...

TRENDING THREADS