• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ryder's blood

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Yeah im sure it was a mistake and that he only did it once. Cried himself to sleep probably.

Luckily for him that he chose to ride for clean teams after that, so he didnt have to make that choice again.

Thankfully he saw the light early and moved from the dirty side of the sport in mountain biking to the road...... ah ya :rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think we can thank Hesjedal's prior experience with doping for giving him the strength of character to resist the pressure to dope while riding for Bruyneel and Andy Rihs. Experience matters.

In London, Bruyneel may have a different memory of how it all went down.

Hesjedal is not credible and so Giro win was doping. No reason to believe he was clean.

the sceptic said:
Yeah im sure it was a mistake and that he only did it once. Cried himself to sleep probably.

Luckily for him that he chose to ride for clean teams after that, so he didnt have to make that choice again.

I dindnt think it was once, but not a lot time, in a world with lot of people smoking cannabis, that man tha smoke two times is a drogadic? It is my case, and I am antidrug, I was very presionated for my environmente then, so I can understand that.
He leaved that before started in Garmin, IMO.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think we can thank Hesjedal's prior experience with doping for giving him the strength of character to resist the pressure to dope while riding for Bruyneel and Andy Rihs. Experience matters.

In London, Bruyneel may have a different memory of how it all went down.

Yes and as typical after he stopped doping, his performances improved. Seems logical.

I do love some of the headlines and intro sentences that Canadian media is using.

"Admitted drug cheat taught Canadian how to dope"

It seems like that should be, "Admitted drug cheat taught Canadian drug cheat how to dope."

I also note that Canadian media is fond of the "disgraced cyclist" description when referring to Rasmussen. I wonder if they will apply it to Hesjedal.

Rip:30 said:
Yes and as typical after he stopped doping, his performances improved. Seems logical.

It is logical, becouse everybody stoped, he was in disadvantage when he stopped.

but, when Rassmusen talk, and when Rassmusen said he dope, he was World champion MTB, the most yopu can get.. of course later his perfomance is worse, and later, when most people stoped doping year by year with the news policys, he became better year by year.

For me everythig is very logical, You can say there are another posibilities, but you cant say this is not logical.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
It is logical, becouse everybody stoped, he was in disadvantage when he stopped.

but, when Rassmusen talk, and when Rassmusen said he dope, he was World champion MTB, the most yopu can get.. of course later his perfomance is worse, and later, when most people stoped doping year by year with the news policys, he became better year by year.

For me everythig is very logical, You can say there are another posibilities, but you cant say this is not logical.

when did everyone stop? 2003 or 2006 or 2008 or 2010

or have they stopped.......

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Who in the world starts doping, sees the fantastic results it gives you, then decides "you know what, this isn't for me!"??? In an era when guys were getting away with it, without any worry of getting caught. So we are to believe he starts doping, then decides to stop, but then continues to improve to the point where he wins a GT? Who the hell believes that?!?! I mean, at the time when he was doping, if he just stopped, then his results and performances certainly will have plummeted. You don't go from being a doped up donkey to stopping, and continuing on your upward progression. It would have taken him years to get back to that same level as when he was doping.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
go crazy said:
Who in the world starts doping, sees the fantastic results it gives you, then decides "you know what, this isn't for me!"??? In an era when guys were getting away with it, without any worry of getting caught. So we are to believe he starts doping, then decides to stop, but then continues to improve to the point where he wins a GT? Who the hell believes that?!?! I mean, at the time when he was doping, if he just stopped, then his results and performances certainly will have plummeted. You don't go from being a doped up donkey to stopping, and continuing on your upward progression. It would have taken him years to get back to that same level as when he was doping.

JV is the anti doping christ ;) and so are Bruyneel and Rihs :D

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
If he fessed about his dope use last year, why wasn't he joining the club with a long winter vacation? Or did he only dope 9+ (last year plus SOL) years ago???

more than 10 years ago apparently. Which means it doesnt count as cheating.

Looking forward to see what Bruyneel has to say now. Risky game Hesjedal is playing here if he was doping at USPS. Maybe Race Radio will regret trolling Bryneel on twitter the other day.

the sceptic said:

Looking forward to see what Bruyneel has to say now. Risky game Hesjedal is playing here if he was doping at USPS. Maybe Race Radio will regret trolling Bryneel on twitter the other day.
So according to Hesjedal, he was clean on both Disco and Phonak???

(I'm trying to get up to date)

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:

"Cycling is my life and has been ever since I can remember. I have loved and lived this sport but more than a decade ago, I chose the wrong path," Hesjedal said. "And even though those mistakes happened more than 10 years ago, and they were short-lived, it does not change the fact that I made them and I have lived with that and been sorry for it ever since.

There you go.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:

Of course he was :rolleyes: :D as those teams talked about how anti doping they were. Disco even bought a blood machine for the UCI they were so anti doping.:D

Let Us move forward.

I'm a cyclist. I'm a fan of bike racing, a fan of Jonathan Vaughters and a fan of the Garmin race team.

Using performance enhancing drugs has been prevalent and disappointing in the past and there is a credible effort to leave that race style behind. We can not deny cycling's history.

Somehow We must enter into the future which includes increased clean racing. So far Garmin has shown cycling one way toward that future.

No single route taken toward clean racing is going to please everyone. But We must move forward.

Ryder is and has been moving forward.

Let's all do the same.

Netserk said:
the sceptic said:

My information on Ryder does date to before 2006. In fact, it does align pretty darn well with his time on Disco.

Just sayin.

But (!) that information is definitely more recent than the 10 years ago that Ryder has admitted. I can only speculate about what he might have done on Phonak in 2006, but he certainly rode like he was juiced while riding with juicers.

While I believe Ryder should be complimented for admitting so quickly once this was public, there are obviously still a few unanswered questions.*

Moreover, I believe that it may have been an agreement with JV and possibly part of the contract, that if his past activities should be exposed they must fess up. At least that was the impression I left with from my conversation with JV and from some of his statements since.

Setting aside what I might or might not know, it stretches the limits of imagination to suggest that any rider on Lance's and JB's squad would not have doped. Lance would have had them fired.

The scoop on CVV, for example, was that he was not initially let in on the big secret because Lance didn't like him. But, Lance got over himself in order to support himself.

Finally - this is already on the CBC site and will be on CTV news tonight.

I declined the CTV offer to be interviewed on camera.

Dave.

*Please note that I think the story, even in Canada, is bigger than and well beyond Ryder. I am certain that Ryder, on at least one occasion, was a pawn in a larger game.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
My information on Ryder does date to before 2006. In fact, it does align pretty darn well with his time on Disco.

Just sayin.

But (!) that information is definitely more recent than the 10 years ago that Ryder has admitted. I can only speculate about what he might have done on Phonak in 2006, but he certainly rode like he was juiced while riding with juicers.

While I believe Ryder should be complimented for admitting so quickly once this was public, there are obviously still a few unanswered questions.*

Moreover, I believe that it may have been an agreement with JV and possibly part of the contract, that if his past activities should be exposed they must fess up. At least that was the impression I left with from my conversation with JV and from some of his statements since.

Setting aside what I might or might not know, it stretches the limits of imagination to suggest that any rider on Lance's and JB's squad would not have doped. Lance would have had them fired.

The scoop on CVV, for example, was that he was not initially let in on the big secret because Lance didn't like him. But, Lance got over himself in order to support himself.

Finally - this is already on the CBC site and will be on CTV news tonight.

I declined the CTV offer to be interviewed on camera.

Dave.

*Please note that I think the story, even in Canada, is bigger than and well beyond Ryder. I am certain that Ryder, on at least one occasion, was a pawn in a larger game.

Overall I agree with your view - but just to correct the highlighted.

From Zabriskes affidavit we know he was not on the full program until his third year, and even Landis affidavit was the same, only getting on the program when he looked as though he would be going to the Tour.

As Ryder was not on the Tour squad he may have had limited exposure to what was going on. Although its still seems plausible he may have been doing stuff on his own.