• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Samuel Sanchez positive for growth hormone

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Jancouver said:
Saint Unix said:
Durden93 said:
Does Ricco count? He had two stages wins halfway through the tour when he was popped.
Contador was after Ricco.

Contador got busted in 2011 ... so does it mean that there was no big name busted in six years?

So yeah, the peloton is clean since no big name got busted in six years and all the testing definitely works, right?

Or am I missing something? :cool:
The second Ricco bust?
Or the 3rd Di Luca bust?
Frank Schleck

I don't remember

Jancouver said:
Saint Unix said:
Durden93 said:
Does Ricco count? He had two stages wins halfway through the tour when he was popped.

Contador got busted in 2011 ... so does it mean that there was no big name busted in six years?

So yeah, the peloton is clean since no big name got busted in six years and all the testing definitely works, right?

Dont forget that the whole Contador thing would have been avoided if it hadent been leaked to the German media, the UCI where covering it up, but it got leaked.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

markene2 said:
Jancouver said:
Saint Unix said:
Durden93 said:

Dont forget that the whole Contador thing would have been avoided if it hadent been leaked to the German media, the UCI where covering it up, but it got leaked.

That was prior to 2013 and the new generation of ethical management at the UCI. No way it has happened since. :)

Red Rick said:
Jancouver said:
Saint Unix said:
Durden93 said:

The second Ricco bust?
Or the 3rd Di Luca bust?
Frank Schleck

I don't remember
Arguably it's Schleck who was 3rd at the Tour the year before. Since Menchov, just like Di Luca, Sanchez and Ricco 2.0 weren't big names anymore when they got caught and Contador instantly was about to get covered up. But Fränk was busy with a pretty mediocre season when he tested positive and maybe already was in decline. Ricco was the new kid on the block when he got caught. Runner up at both the Tour of Italy and Lombardy. Twice stage winner at the Tour. Tested positive while being in the polka dot jersey. Had won the Tre Cime stage at the Giro and 2 stages at T-A. He just had become a superstar. Absolutely a big gun. But that was 2008!

It's Di Luca in 2009 actually. Runner up at the Giro. Champion back in 2007. Winner of multiple classics. About to sign a big paycheck contract with Lampre because of his Indian summer. The Cera positive eventually ruined his career.

spetsa said:
Echoes said:
I'd even go further than that. Claiming that transmutant substances such as EPO or growth hormone are the same thing as good old stimulants IS moral relativism. I do not approve of stimulants, just claim the crime is more benign than Sanchez' one. Besides, I can also bounce back on what Jspear said in that imagining that doping in this sport has never evolved, that all substances are equal and have the same effects on performances, on the performances of clean riders is a good way indeed to clear their own favourite present-day dopers. That is a perfect example of moral relativism...

This isn't the court of law, this is sport governed by WADA codes. Cheating=Cheating. CAS is more similar to a court of law and any rider caught using stimulants can go there and challenge the length of their suspension.

CAS is nowhere near a court of law - You send many of the cases in which CAS has found athletes guilty, into a countries Court of Law then you'll find a different verdict - CAS is an Arbitration Tribunal which is seriously conflicted.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
yaco said:
spetsa said:
Echoes said:
I'd even go further than that. Claiming that transmutant substances such as EPO or growth hormone are the same thing as good old stimulants IS moral relativism. I do not approve of stimulants, just claim the crime is more benign than Sanchez' one. Besides, I can also bounce back on what Jspear said in that imagining that doping in this sport has never evolved, that all substances are equal and have the same effects on performances, on the performances of clean riders is a good way indeed to clear their own favourite present-day dopers. That is a perfect example of moral relativism...

This isn't the court of law, this is sport governed by WADA codes. Cheating=Cheating. CAS is more similar to a court of law and any rider caught using stimulants can go there and challenge the length of their suspension.

CAS is nowhere near a court of law - You send many of the cases in which CAS has found athletes guilty, into a countries Court of Law then you'll find a different verdict - CAS is an Arbitration Tribunal which is seriously conflicted.

I agree completely. I didn't articulate my point very well.

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
He was getting popped up for his next grand tour..same old story..strange how these riders are taking a substance which is easy to detect..take it..get caught..whats the point??

Re:

nayr497 said:
Ouch. Guy has been riding like a super domestique even though he's an old horse. No wonder. I honestly wonder what hurts more - retiring and letting everyone think you're great, while you know, deep down, you're a cheater. Or, getting exposed right at the end.

No matter how heartless you think they might be, I don't think you can cheat and feel good about it. Deep down, that has to eat at you.

This is a classy response, and points to why doping is such an insidious problem. Look, I have no idea if Samu is a nice guy or not, but very few people actually enjoy being a cheat. As to why he got popped, one can only imagine that he got careless.

I don't believe in the UCI sending "warnings" -- there's always going to be one or two riders who screw up and test positive. And if there have been such warnings in the past, clearly they aren't working...

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Bolder said:
nayr497 said:
Ouch. Guy has been riding like a super domestique even though he's an old horse. No wonder. I honestly wonder what hurts more - retiring and letting everyone think you're great, while you know, deep down, you're a cheater. Or, getting exposed right at the end.

No matter how heartless you think they might be, I don't think you can cheat and feel good about it. Deep down, that has to eat at you.

This is a classy response, and points to why doping is such an insidious problem. Look, I have no idea if Samu is a nice guy or not, but very few people actually enjoy being a cheat. As to why he got popped, one can only imagine that he got careless.

I don't believe in the UCI sending "warnings" -- there's always going to be one or two riders who screw up and test positive. And if there have been such warnings in the past, clearly they aren't working...

It really shows on the faces of Merckx, Hinault, Indurain, Vino, Wiggins etc...........

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Robert5091 said:
cnc-it said:
Don't forget they give GHRP-2 to cows in Spain..the tainted meat excuse is looking like a good bet here :)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/samuel-sanchez-test-result-was-a-total-surprise/#disqus_thread
the whole thing is “all a scare.”

Sounds like you might be right!

Do you have a source for this. I tried to search for use in cattle, but couldn't find anything. Not doubting you. If true, we already know his defense.

You don't have to be Russia or one of its former satellites to be a dope zone. The opium of the people is sport, has been for quite some time. Spain is heaven for dopers...sport is keeping the country together. Too bad it wasn't Valverde who got popped (again). Or Contador (again).

Bolder said:
nayr497 said:

The UCI doesn’t need to send warnings. It has the passport to officially “warn” riders to pull back on the their doping programs so no one gets caught but doesn’t go full genius. What’s a beautiful system, keeps riders in the limits and you can pre-warn them.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site

Do you have a source for this. I tried to search for use in cattle, but couldn't find anything. Not doubting you. If true, we already know his defense.
I think it was meant in jest.

Let's what kind of ludicrous excuse he comes up with.

I feel for Sammy. Who knew that he would be the season's designated sacrifice to appease the gods of dissimulation? I mean, here he's busted for some run-of-the-mill roid while scores of glowing mutants around him remain untouched, unfazed.

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

spetsa said:
Robert5091 said:
cnc-it said:
Don't forget they give GHRP-2 to cows in Spain..the tainted meat excuse is looking like a good bet here :)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/samuel-sanchez-test-result-was-a-total-surprise/#disqus_thread
the whole thing is “all a scare.”

Sounds like you might be right!

US beef exports (apart from organic) are banned in many countries because of the use of growth hormones. It's use has been banned throughout the EU for many years, and yes, beef is tested.

US beef exports (apart from organic) are banned in many countries because of the use of growth hormones. It's use has been banned throughout the EU for many years, and yes, beef is tested.

If he's going down the tainted meat road does anyone know how long is GHRP-2 stays in the system/is detectable? He raced California in May...

BeagRigh said:

If he's going down the tainted meat road does anyone know how long is GHRP-2 stays in the system/is detectable? He raced California in May...

Depending on route of administration and dose, 24 hours max.

King Boonen said:
BeagRigh said:

Cheers. Lol, that puts the kibosh on that excuse then!

King Boonen said:
BeagRigh said:

I wonder if he was already on two strikes from the testers before this one. With it clearing so quickly, surely he could have just done the old hide behind the sofa trick and take the strike otherwise?

Either that or he just got his calculations wrong and thought he wasn't glowing anymore. Pretty careless either way for someone who has been doing this stuff for 20 years.

TRENDING THREADS