• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Say the TDF becomes a singles event.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
It was supposed to be a singles event until 1930, but even Henri Desgrange realised that it would not work out like that. For the same reasons it would not work now.

...depends on the course. And by the way, would there be ITT at all?

Looking at guys who can be competitive in 21 one-day races regardless of the course, Valverde and Nibali come to mind. Doumoulin isn't a bad podium bet. Kwiat, Sagan, even Alaf' aren't good enough of climbers.

The two Frenchies could do some damage. A mix of Bardet and Pinot, that's Bardot, right? Now that's a sexy pick :) .

I don't think that it would be worse than the current state of affairs with regards to suspense. Not gonna happen tho'. Too bad...I'd like to see it.

I think this format would suit Valverde dreadfully.

There'd be a looot of randomness, anyone who can't top 10 a GT normally still won't win, rouleur abililties, tactical nouse, consistency and the ability to ride hard for more than a 20 minute climb would be a lot more advantageous than now. Sprints and puncheur ability would largely be negated in this format.

Really this would suit Dumoulin first.

Dumoulin yes, Valverde I see your reasoning but disagree big time. The guy can race and win a classic with no team (same for Nibali), top-tier tactician (not at Nibali level but still), Valverde can hide...and surge. Over 21 or so days, he won't lose much time any day, and gain some time on some days. Consistency is Valverde. That format would require consistency, at least some consistency, or a "Vino attitude".

In this scenario you'll get one of two things. Either everyone not willing to do anything and then whoever is the best climber/sprinter will end up winning. OR you get someone (Contador type) who will be willing to risk everything including risking that no one will be willing to chase and pick one stage and just go for it.